Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wiretapped by the feds? Come to Sam Riddle's Party.

[]
    Friday, May 8, 2009
    Wiretapped by the feds? Come to Sam Riddle's party

Paul Egan / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Political consultant Sam Riddle says he's planning a party for everyone whose conversations were picked up on a federal wiretap of his cell phone.
    Riddle, who worked for Detroit City Council President Monica Conyers and has political clients around the country, said today he may need to get a room big enough for 100 people "if everyone brings a guest."
    To get into the party, attendees will need a letter from the Justice Department -- sent out under federal wiretap laws -- saying the attendee was intercepted having a conversation with Riddle.
    Riddle, who has not been charged with any crime but has been under investigation in connection with the Synagro sludge scandal, said he knows of many people around the country who have received such letters, including members of the news media.
    William Lattimore, a member of Southfield City Council who said this week he is under federal investigation, also may have received one of the letters and is welcome to come to the party if he did, Riddle said.
    "This is serious," Riddle said. "It's got to be dealt with.
    "You can drive yourself crazy, you can pull an Ernest Hemingway, or you can just tongue-in-cheek march forward. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen anyway."
    The party will feature beer and wings, Riddle said. A date and time has yet to be announced.
    The FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office is conducing a long-running and wide-ranging investigation of city hall contracting.
    Lattimore confirmed he knows Riddle but said the investigation involving him is not related to the Detroit City Hall scandal.
    pegan@detnews.com [[313) 222-2069

Find this article at:
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...Riddle-s-party
    [© Copyright 2008 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.

That way the Feds can just lock everybody up at once.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That way the Feds can just lock everybody up at once.

Maybe. But, I think it's more of a way to identify to Charlie Leduff, who's been contacted by the Feds.

Retroit Guest

As much as I like Sam Riddle for his wit, I think he is flaunting the tremendously important service that the Justice Department/FBI provide.

He may not fully appreciate this, but just because he may be innocent does not mean that others who were recorded by wiretaps to his phone are not guilty.

I just read the Southfield article with Lattimore's response. [[I'm a resident) Anyone know anything about his connection? He just got elected not too long ago, and I confess that I don't know his history.

I think he's doing that because he is nervous and is trying to figure out just what conversations may have been overheard. He doesn't know whom all received notification from the FBI and I know if I had, I would not be picking up my telephone to call and tell Sam nor would I drive to his house. Therefore, he just would be able to figure it out until I stopped answering his calls.

dexterferry Guest

wait, what does any of this have to do with our old friend charlie leduff?

The reason he did this is to check out the who the FBI was listening to, or he is thumbing his nose at the federal government investigation. Stinks to high heaven, either way.

MIRepublic Guest

It sounds more like a social networking workshop to get their stories straight than a party in the sense we use the word, today. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a whole bunch of law firms represented at this 'party' to help out those implicated in this. In Riddle's typical fashion, though, he's trying to spin it with some humor, but I don't think he's laughing on the inside, at all.