Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

southsider Guest

Default Financial Desperation is ideal for metro

I'm not native to Detroit or Michigan, but shortly after moving to the area I was overwhelmed by the volume of cities in such an incredibly small radius. During the days of prosperity for the region and the abundance of cash, division, segregation and independence are easy decisions, but given the recent, what appears to be never ending financial challenges I believe many of these small perimeter McTowns are going to be faced with the harsh reality that they have to merge, cooperate and compromise to survive. Although its difficult to witness the harshness of these budget shortfalls and what it means to individual families, ultimately its best for the entire area.

see the recent developments on Hamtramck
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_797236.html

The desperation should also act as a sort of psychological purge. For all those people who refused to think that the area should change its ways and become more city-focused, it's finally a chance to figure out how a stronger central city with such amenities as, say, the option to use reliable transit, might increase our prosperity. It's a chance to consider the long term gains from making some investments now. Just as when you lose or change your job and think about your long term goals and interests when you go to apply for a new one [[or at least I hope you would), so too we can dig deep and figure out what is actually best for the region.

But then again most people aren't very civic minded. Hopefully that too will change.
    Last edited by Mackinaw; December-16-10 at 12:51 PM.

For all those people who refused to think that the area should change its ways and become more city-focused, it's finally a chance to figure out how a stronger central city with such amenities as, say, the option to use reliable transit, might increase our prosperity.
    They may see the need for a strong central city; they just may not see Detroit as that center.

FTA: "After the November meeting, the police unions rejected Cooper's request for concessions. Instead, they agreed to a creative plan to raise cash: They would implement a strict traffic safety program, with officers working overtime to write as many tickets as they could."

LOL! Right out of Judge Dredd. The Hamtramick Police Department - to Protect and Serve and Collect Operating Revenue.

...given the cultural/racial animus that many non-detroit residents still have for the city, it's going to be an uphill battle to convince those residents that "thinking regionally" should be the mantra for the long-term future.. so many of these towns came into being as manufacturing was still a keystone industry throughout the state..

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    FTA: "After the November meeting, the police unions rejected Cooper's request for concessions. Instead, they agreed to a creative plan to raise cash: They would implement a strict traffic safety program, with officers working overtime to write as many tickets as they could."

LOL! Right out of Judge Dredd. The Hamtramick Police Department - to Protect and Serve and Collect Operating Revenue.
    That's no joke. They estimated that they could keep at full staffing by raising $60,000 a month in traffic citations. I have already been tapped for my "donation."

isn't it illegal to have quotas for traffic/parking tickets?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's no joke. They estimated that they could keep at full staffing by raising $60,000 a month in traffic citations. I have already been tapped for my "donation."
    especially the I-75 service drive. If you are going downhill how the hell to keep your car below 25 mph?

Hamtramck cops were infamous in the 80's for their predatory speed-trapping. The ring road around the GM Poletown plant was favorite spot of theirs. Back then they were doing it for the overtime bucks they got for court appearances. It became a local political issue and promises to end it helped artist-become-mayor Gary Zych to win election as Mayor.

If it were just the tickets it might be tolerable, but the real winners are the insurance companies who use the points handed out to raise their already exorbitant inner-city rates.

Just about all departments are using tickets to keep their staff employed. I got caught in a classic speed trap in Livonia last year. My lawyer got it knocked down to impeding traffic [and no points]. That should be your goal if you get stuck with this tax.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    especially the I-75 service drive. If you are going downhill how the hell to keep your car below 25 mph?
    Your car came equipped with brakes?

Yeah, I bargained down to impeding and got no points. That's the way to go.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Road_warrior View Post
    Your car came equipped with brakes?
    sorry should have clarified--how do you keep it under 25 without riding your brakes the whole time. Especially when the pricks are handing out tickets for five over.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    sorry should have clarified--how do you keep it under 25 without riding your brakes the whole time. Especially when the pricks are handing out tickets for five over.
    How about a downshift. [[even automatics will do engine braking if they're shifted down to a lower gear.)

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    That should keep the people coming to Hamtramck... I wonder if towns that do this realize how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot. There are certain places around here I try not to go because of my increased liklihood of getting a stupid ticket. I'd hate to have to add Hamtramck to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That should keep the people coming to Hamtramck... I wonder if towns that do this realize how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot. There are certain places around here I try not to go because of my increased liklihood of getting a stupid ticket. I'd hate to have to add Hamtramck to that list.
    Well, I live there, and I'll tell you that if you obey the law, they won't get you. And they mostly prowl by day, probably not interested in the hassle of handing out DUIs and crowding the jail. They got me because of a no left turn between 3 and 6, which I'd never noticed. Just pay attention and you'll be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    How about a downshift. [[even automatics will do engine braking if they're shifted down to a lower gear.)
    It's way cheaper to replace worn brake pads over a worn out clutch or torque converter and you also don't waste fuel by increasing your RPMs while slowing down.

Public safety, too, would suffer -- no minor consideration in this suburban community bordering Detroit.
    I like how they describe the densest community in Michigan as suburban. Somebody at HP doesn't know how to read a map. Hamtramck is the inner city. Residential? Yes. Suburban, I don't think so.

If we just hire more nerds and adopt a positive attitude, all our problems will be fixed guys. We don't need no traffic ticket programs.

Wayne County might want to consider a county governance structure: see Philly.
    Last edited by laphoque; December-17-10 at 01:30 AM.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Speeding Tickets & The Collapse Of Suburbia

I don't speed anymore, much to the dismay of my fellow motorists. In my view, everyone being okay with doing five or ten over means that an officer can pull you over for any reason. Then again, do you single yourself out if your the only one doing the speed limit?

The Aftermath of Suburbia

As to our region and it's endless line of mayors and duplicate administrators, yeah, it's a huge waste. You can say that the greedy will get what is coming to them, but I doubt that. Instead, I think those responsible will be long gone soon enough, and leave the rest of us to foot the bill. We will be left with a corrupt wasteland of former suburbs surrounding a weak shell of a city. Really, the only way I see Detroit surviving the collapse of the suburbs is through better investment, massive restructuring and planned depopulation.

Sadly, I like capitalism in parts, but wonder if it breeds a locust culture of never ending consumption. That is just one possibility. I am hopeful that the drive for consumption eventually just brings some people back to the city and town centers, and drives everyone else elsewhere.