Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Christmas Eve Mass

Does anyone have a suggestion for Christmas Eve Mass ? In one of Detroits great old churches, And do any have a mass before midnight? Thanks and Merry Christmas

My favorite historic Detroit churches for Midnight Mass are Ste. Anne's, St. Albertus, and Sweetest Heart of Mary.

Check Old St. Joes on Gratiot, near Eastern Market.

Augustiner Guest

I always like the German Mass at St. Joseph's, but I think it's on Christmas Day. Very un-German of them, really.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bobby wobby View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for Christmas Eve Mass ? In one of Detroits great old churches, And do any have a mass before midnight? Thanks and Merry Christmas
    Sweetest Heart of Mary is, in my opinion, the most visually spectacular church in the city, though the heavy ornamentation may not be for everyone. The Christmas Eve Mass is incredibly beautiful and the church is packed, astoundingly. Though I won't be going there this year.

Random true facts: First Mass in the U.S. celebrated under electric lights was the Christmas Eve Mass at Most Holy Trinity in 1875.

Not sure this helps you pick a Mass location, though.

a lot of churches have moved the 'midnight mass' up, some as early as 7pm. I've personally in the last couple years been to St. Mary's, St. Josephs, St. patricks, and Holy Redeemer. they are always pretty awesome.

If you like your midnight mass packed with liturgical theatre and drama and backed up with a choir and orchestra, I heartily recommend the Midnight Latin Tridentine Mass at St. Joseph's Church off Gratiot by Eastern Market. Be forewarned however, it's not a quick in and out. The prelude and the mass itself last a couple of hours. It's a beautiful, one might even say "divine," service.
    http://www.saint-joseph-detroit.org/

Sweetest Heart Of Mary!

I have to also recommend Sweetest Heart of Mary. The mass is truly beautiful, complete with Polish Dancers.

St. Henry's in Lincoln Park does a beautiful midnight Mass. The church is dark except for Christmas trees on the alter lit with lights. After the priest makes it to the alter, the lights come on. The choir sings. There is a lady that does the most wonderful solo. She also sings at the Christmas day Mass. And you can find a seat. I grew up going to midnight Mass at Our Lady of Sorrows in Farmington and you usually had to get there 45 minutes prior to Mass starting if you wanted a seat. No problem at St. Henry's. It's on Council off of Fort Street just a block from the Fort Street/Outer Drive border.

Holy Redeemer is planning a Christmas Eve bilingual service featuring traditional Christmas classic music and some Hispanic music too. Should be quite a show. I don't know if it's at Midnight or before....or if they're having more than one. That's my recommendation, regardless of the time!

The first actual choral Christmas Eve Midnight Mass in Detroit was sung at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in the late 1880's by the vested Choir of Gentlemen and Boys'...it caused a scandal, as it was thought to be outrageously "popish" by protestant clergymen throughout the city. This year, the service will be celebrated at 10:00pm Christmas eve at now St. Paul's Cathedral at Woodward and Hancock. The parish was founded in 1824.
    Last edited by detroitbob; December-17-10 at 01:56 AM.

A beautiful Mass is always celebrated at the monastery of the cloistered Dominican nuns at 13 Mile Road and Middlebelt in Farmington Hills. I forget the time for Mass this year but you can call them at 248-6286-8321 to find out. These are cloistered contemplative nuns - not the school teacher or hospital nursing nun variety - and they are a privilege to be near. Join them and enjoy them and enjoy the Mass. It will be serene and beautiful, traditional but not excessively long.

My family has had ties to Sweetest Heart of Mary as far back as I can remember so I am naturally biased, but that church is honestly unreal, it is just spectacular, especially during midnight mass.

I will have to get some pics off my home computer and post them.

Sacred Heart, at Mack and I-75, always has a beautiful Midnight Mass. You have to get there early, around 10:30 p.m., to get a seat. Fr. Norman Thomas always has an inspiring homily.

I attend Christ Church Detroit, an Episcopal Church. They have a beautiful choir, organist, and for Christmas will have harpsichord and a hand bell choir among others. it is still in its original beautiful condition. It's just off of Jefferson and 375, near the RenCen. Music at 9 and mass at 9:30 on Christmas Eve.

anyone know of uncrowded mass, I know it is very umcommon? Thank you and Merry Christmas

So what mass did you elect to intend? I went to the service at Littlefield Presbyerian in Dearborn in the evening, and then played the trumpet at Holy Redeemer's midnight mass. Both were beautiful and moving.

In Belgium a disaster was just avoided by pure luck!! The mass ended after midnight and the last people left at around 2:30 AM. At about 4:00 AM the whole church collapsed! During the mass about 200 people were present. Now doubt more than a 100 would have parished. The 75-year old church had a flat roof and succumed to the ammount of snow that was covering it. Next pictures are gruesome. Thankfully only two people were hurt. A father and his one month old child were parked near the church. The father drove his child around because it could not fall asleep and he thought this would help. they escaped with only minor cuts and bruises.

Only tha back walls and the tower were left standing.

The church in better daysi

The back wall and tower.

The opposite wall.

No one died. There's your 2010 Christmas miracle!

Footage of the aftermath.

In the meantime the church tower was also pulled down. It emerged that the tower was cracked on the inside and was unstable.

I know this is a bit after the fact, but for next year do consider Assumption Grotto on Gratiot and Six and a half mile. Amazing Tridentine Mass with full orchestra and choir. Holy Communion at the communion rail, on your knees, and on your tongue. As it should be.

Beautiful photos here: http://te-deum.blogspot.com/

We are so very blessed to have such a parish here in Detroit.