Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Free Attraction at Conservatory

Stroll through the conservatory. A FREE attaction presented by the Belle Isle Botanical Society and City of Detroit Floriculture Unit.

Date: Friday, December 17
    Time: 5:00 to 8:00 pm

ANNA SCRIPPS WHITCOMB CONSERVATORY
    Belle, Isle, Detroit

The Conservatory will be especially decorated & lighted for the holidays highlighting Detroit's collection of rare and unusual plants. Mulled cider and donuts as well as holiday music by Deep River Gospel choir.

Our family is planning to attend this. A couple of questions:

Is the event usually well attended?

Are there lighting in the Conservatory parking lot and outside the Conservatory?

Thank you!

I think I might just go to this.

Thanks for the news on the special event. The Conservatory is always a great place to visit during the holiday season, event or no event. I always stop in a time or two during this time of year, and my mother always looks forward to going.

Parking lot in front of the conservatory has lights and people will be coming and going. The choir will be in the back of the conservatory in the show house. That area has limited seating but you will also be able to hear the choir while walking around the conservatory. You can also sit on the low stone walls or benches if you need to take a rest. Multi colored lights and christmas lights will decorate the plants or accent them. Enjoy.

The dead of winter really is my favorite time to go to the Conservatory. It's such a change from the frigid chill of the river and SE Michigan. The palms are so beautiful! If you've never been or haven't been recently, it's well worth a visit, even if not for a special event. BIBS does a fantastic job making the place look nice.

How was the stroll through the conservatory? I'm working out of state but still try to support the Belle Isle Botanical Society anyway I can. Hope all you Detroiter's enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    How was the stroll through the conservatory? I'm working out of state but still try to support the Belle Isle Botanical Society anyway I can. Hope all you Detroiter's enjoyed it.
    It was a lot of fun. My girlfriend had never been, so it was really nice for her. The conservatory is a great place to go to forget that it's frigid winter outside.

and we stopped by saturday about 230p and it was closed. too much stress from the night before? should have been open until 5p according to the sign...

oh well...