Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Liquor Selection

I'm looking to buy a couple bottles of REALLY good Congac for gifts, I don't mean you're average bottle of Remy or something like that. Anybody know who's got the best selection of that stuff?

Merchants fine wine in Dearborn has a good selection. The problem is we live in a control state so we don't get a lot of the good stuff. If you are ever in Chicago, try Binny's. They have the best selection of liquor I've ever seen. They have several stores in the Chicago area.

Cheers!

also merchants will order something for you - if you don't see it on their shelves. The will recommend something if you are at a loss.

One of the most amazing selections of liquors and especially GIFT box combinations was actually at a cinderblock bunker of a joint on Six Mile just west of the I-75 freeway, not far from that German restaurant.

It is on the south side of the street, and the east side of an intersection...with maybe JohnR?!...I'm not sure of the cross street. But it is the only liquor store there...when you go in and look to the right...it is loaded with these things!

I do NOT know of their taste in cognacs, but I'd bet you'll find something interesting there!

Enjoy.

Holiday market on Main Street in Royal Oak. Cognac's go from moderate to hundreds of dollars.

Best selection on north Woodward since Alban's closed.

Some body on here recommended Waiter's on 8 mile in Warren, they're pretty decent and reasonably priced.

The Beverage Warehouse in Beverly Hills [[or is it Royal Oak?) had a great selection of absinthe, I think they probably have decent cognac too.

Red Wagon in Rochester [[?) has a good scotch selection

Please put me on your gift list

As far as prices go, I have never seen much variation in price for hard liquor. I think it is a state thing

I'm surprised no one mentioned Campane's Wine Cellars on Chicago Rd. just west of Van Dyke in Warren. I lived in Detroit for fifty years and this place had the most stuff of any place I've seen in SE Mich. To my shame, I only found this place last year, after I had moved out of state while visiting. It's like Total Wines in Fla and NC or Beverages & More in Cal. www.champanes.com/
    rb336, I thought liquor prices were still uniform in Mich, unlike Cal where they are comeptitively priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    rb336, I thought liquor prices were still uniform in Mich, unlike Cal where they are comeptitively priced.
    I thought the uniform prices were actually a price range dictated by the State.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I thought the uniform prices were actually a price range dictated by the State.
    I believe there is a minimum price, but no maximum. Ostensibly to prevent very cheap liquor from falling into the "wrong hands". Probably, more realistically, to protect tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Campane's Wine Cellars on Chicago Rd. just west of Van Dyke in Warren. I lived in Detroit for fifty years and this place had the most stuff of any place I've seen in SE Mich. To my shame, I only found this place last year, after I had moved out of state while visiting. It's like Total Wines in Fla and NC or Beverages & More in Cal. www.champanes.com/
    Pretty much this...and you don't have to worry about being screwed by some tacky-ass behind a counter.

I don't drink alot of Liquor, But I am impressed by Merchants in Dearborn. If you live out by Plymouth way the store just west of Main on Ann Arbor Rd has a good stock also.

order from your local store. They all have listings of what available.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Merchants fine wine in Dearborn has a good selection. The problem is we live in a control state so we don't get a lot of the good stuff. If you are ever in Chicago, try Binny's. They have the best selection of liquor I've ever seen. They have several stores in the Chicago area.

Cheers!
    What does control state mean and why does it exclude you from getting the good stuff?
    Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    What does control state mean and why does it exclude you from getting the good stuff?
    Just curious.
    Retailers in Michigan can only purchase liquor from state-approved distributors, and are only allowed to buy and sell those products listed on the Michigan Liquor Control Commission's product price list, which includes only the products handled by those distributors. So there are a number of products, especially more exotic, specialized, and low-selling liquors, that are available in less controlled states but are not available here in Michigan.

On the other hand,there are a lot of liquors that are available here that cannot be purchased in states with even stricter controls than Michigan, like states where liquor is only sold through state-run stores. My sister lives in North Carolina, which is one of those states, and I just bought a bottle of something for her for Christmas here on the east side of Detroit that is unavailable anywhere in N.C.

Here is a link to the current price list. Cognacs start on page 31. The thing to pay attention to is the "minimum shelf price," which is the lowest price that liquor stores can sell at.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dl...1_334323_7.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Just curious.
    Basically, it means that here is a cartel of large liquor distributors who own the market. If they don't carry a particular kind of liquor, it's either prohibitively expensive or impossible to buy it from a liquor store in the state.

It's all set up to protect tax revenue and the monopoly of the distributors, to the determent of liquor producers and consumers.

It's also why, sometimes, the best liquor selections are in small, out-of-the-way liquor stores, who fly under the radar to get stuff you can't get anywhere else. I know a place out in the boonies that has the best scotch selection I've seen anywhere. It's a dumpy party store in the middle of nowhere, and they carry $100/bottle scotch I've only seen advertised in swanky magazines.

I second the Red Wagon in Rochester. There is a location on the corner of Livernois and Maple as well.

Its not just the high priced stuff we can't get here, there are also some really good value liquors that we can't get. American whiskey is my drink of choice. I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye for $19.99 and Old Overholt rye for $12.99 in Indiana, both really good whiskeys not available here. I also found Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old bourbon in Kentucky for about $15, and its a nice sipping whiskey. If you are ever in Indianapolis, try Vine and Table in the suburb of Carmel. They have a fantastic selection as well as a tasting bar, something else you can't do at Michigan stores.

Its not just the high priced stuff we can't get here, there are also some really good value liquors that we can't get. American whiskey is my drink of choice. I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye for $19.99 and Old Overholt rye for $12.99 in Indiana, both really good whiskeys not available here. I also found Ancient Ancient Age 10 year old bourbon in Kentucky for about $15, and its a nice sipping whiskey. If you are ever in Indianapolis, try Vine and Table in the suburb of Carmel. They have a fantastic selection as well as a tasting bar, something else you can't do at Michigan stores.
    Thumbs up on the Rittenhouse Rye and the O.O., Downriviera. I'm a rye drinker myself. Incidentally, I found O.O. in a Duty Free store on the Canadian side of the Blue Water Bridge [[Sarnia). The Duty Free stores carry a lot of stuff you can't get in Michigan liquor stores.

My Mom loves Apricot liquor, and can only get the kind she likes in Chicagoland.
    I look for it when I am at the bigger liquor stores But is a hard find.I never got the point where you can get one sort of liquor here But not there and vice virsa.

I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye for $19.99 and Old Overholt rye for $12.99 in Indiana, both really good whiskeys not available here
    Thanks for the heads-up, I've been looking for those exact whiskeys for years! The only rye I've seen in-state is Jim Beam, which is pretty good, but a variety is nice.

I've been trying to find a decent selection of Rums, as well. The Agua bar at the MGM has a decent selection, but it's hard to find anything besides Appleton, Myers or Bacardi, or vanity labels OEMed by them.

I third the suggestion of Champane's. Pretty much my stepdad's favorite in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up, I've been looking for those exact whiskeys for years! The only rye I've seen in-state is Jim Beam, which is pretty good, but a variety is nice.

I've been trying to find a decent selection of Rums, as well. The Agua bar at the MGM has a decent selection, but it's hard to find anything besides Appleton, Myers or Bacardi, or vanity labels OEMed by them.

The Beam rye is good for the price, as is the Wild Turkey rye, both easy to find here. Another I really like is Sazerac rye 6 year old, much harder to find but available here. I ordered a bottle from my local store, took about a month. The Rittenhouse rye is in such demand that the distiller is allocating shipments. The store I found it at in Indianapolis told me they were out of stock for over a year and just got some in the day I was there. How lucky was that! They said the whole state of Indiana was allocated 15 cases of which they got 5. I like rum too. My favorites are Barbancourt 15 year old from Haiti and Havana Club 7 year old. Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn had the Barbancourt last time I was there. The Havana Club I get in Windsor, but you have to sneak it back as Cuban products are a no no here still.

The Beam rye is good for the price, as is the Wild Turkey rye, both easy to find here. Another I really like is Sazerac rye 6 year old, much harder to find but available here. I ordered a bottle from my local store, took about a month. The Rittenhouse rye is in such demand that the distiller is allocating shipments. The store I found it at in Indianapolis told me they were out of stock for over a year and just got some in the day I was there. How lucky was that! They said the whole state of Indiana was allocated 15 cases of which they got 5. I like rum too. My favorites are Barbancourt 15 year old from Haiti and Havana Club 7 year old. Merchants Fine Wine in Dearborn had the Barbancourt last time I was there. The Havana Club I get in Windsor, but you have to sneak it back as Cuban products are a no no here still.
    You can get the Sazerac 6-year-old rye [[90 proof, and I agree it's excellent) at Holiday Market in Royal Oak. They also have the Ri-1 and the Russell's Reserve rye, I believe.

I believe the Rittenhouse BIB [[100 proof) is considered the best quality for the price among rye connoisseurs. It's really about time the Rittenhouse was made available in Michigan.

Rye really needs to carry a higher proof [[90 or above) to achieve the spice and boldness that brings out the true character of the spirit. Years ago, O.O. was available in 100 proof and it was incredible. Nowadays, Jim Beam owns the Overholt brand, and Beam is letting it languish. I don't care for the Beam rye; it's a bit pedestrian. The Wild Turkey rye [[101 proof) offers adequate heat and bite and is decent.

Note that Bulleit bourbon carries a high rye content [[above 30 percent) in its mashbill, so it can often be substituted for a straight rye. I like it quite a bit and it makes a great Manhattan.

Downriviera, you like rum? Have you tried Zacapa yet [[from Guatemala)? It is fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast