Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan Population Losses

There was an article in the paper today about population losses over the last decade primarily in the prairie states [[Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and North Texas).

http://www.census.gov/popest/gallery...nge-00-09.html

Noting Michigan, every county in da yoo-pee lost population with the exception of Marquette and Chippewa [[da Soo). The northeastern portion of the mitten got hit hard as did the upper thumb. Wayne County was also a big loser.

Michigan population loss is on the unempolyment and economic flight, including middle class flight. According to the U.S. Census the population in Michigan is over 9.99 million down from 10.0 million in 5 years.

Mr. Houdini Guest

I lived my whole middle-class life in the Detroit Metro Area, until last year. I had to move my family out of state to find gainful employment. I was laid off three times working on auto accounts at Detroit-area advertising agencies. My entire career faltered in the last decade and I no longer felt there was a career future for me [[or my young sons) there in Michigan. I feel hopeful and back in the saddle now that I'm in North Carolina, working in banking instead of automotive. When the well dries up, it's time to move on. Simple American history will tell you that.

"Noting Michigan, every county in da yoo-pee lost population with the exception of Marquette and Chippewa [[da Soo). The northeastern portion of the mitten got hit hard as did the upper thumb. Wayne County was also a big loser."

I don't think these are recent trends. I suspect those have been going on for at least the last 20 - 30 years with certain counties taking big hits after various military bases closed. The same is true of the Plains states. They've been emptying out for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "Noting Michigan, every county in da yoo-pee lost population with the exception of Marquette and Chippewa [[da Soo). The northeastern portion of the mitten got hit hard as did the upper thumb. Wayne County was also a big loser."

I don't think these are recent trends. I suspect those have been going on for at least the last 20 - 30 years with certain counties taking big hits after various military bases closed. The same is true of the Plains states. They've been emptying out for decades.
    Da Yoo-Pee has been losing population with the decline of the extraction industries there [[copper, iron ore, amd timber)