Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's Shrinking BBQ Joints

With the permenant closing of Sanders BBQ on Fenkell and Greenfield, it has me wondering about how the number of BBQ joints in the city are dwindling. I never thought Sanders BBQ would ever close, I'm not sure of when they opened but I do know they were open for a good 20 yrs or so. Heck, I'm still mourning Greens BBQ closing on the eastside.

What are your thoughts?

20 years? Not so sure about that. Maybe, I don't remember them though. Which place were they in, the old burger joint?

One place I do remember was Young's on Grand River w/o Greenfield. They had places all over town though for a while.

They were in the building next to the Gas Station and a funeral home sits on the other side.
    Oh yeah! I forgot about Young's, I believe there's one location left maybe?

Milts Barbeque is still doing well on Kelly Road on the east side though the owner/ founder Mr. Milts was murdered by an assailant trying to rob the store about 4 years ago. Great food and Mr. Milt was a real trooper and involved in the community hiring many youth to start their culinary training at his restaurant. His family is keep the store going.

Sanders was there at least 30 years. I remember going there with a friend of mine who lived over in that area back in the mid-70s. Sad. Declining population, declining buying power, and the habit of going out to the suburbs to do everything is making it increasingly difficult to run a neighborhood restaurant in the city. BBQ joints have also had it rough because their increased costs have made food that was supposed to be inexpensive pretty pricey.

New ones are opening up in downtown like wildifre, The rub, slows, Red Smoke, and now Slows carry-out in Midtown all opened it the last 5 years or so and seem to be doing well. Perhaps this is eating into the market share for some of the older places.

I still miss Brother's BBQ on Wyoming. They also had a location on E. Jefferson across from the Ren Cen.

Seems like Sander's was there forever. The reasons why they closed had less to do with a declining customer base than with other factors that led to their demise.

I didn't know Sanders closed. I remember going there when I used to hang out on the west side. Too bad.

I lived a couple of blocks from there until about '77 and I don't remember any BBQ joint. I remember a couple of gas stations, the fire station, a greasy spoon [[Mott's, Tower, or something like that), a hardware store, a bump shop. I think I remember the building you might be talking about, but it wasn't a BBQ. West side of Greenfield about a half block n/o Fenkell?

I've never eaten there, but Vicki's on Warren seems to be doing fine.

Oh my , I'm getting very hungry just thinking about the old Pointe BBQ that used to be on E. Warren near Cadieux near the hospital Milroy's for da feesh and Pointe BBQ for da ribs , life was good back then .

Maria's Comida has barbecue ribs. The sauce is sort of sweet and fresh, sort a diffferent, and worth checking out. She is located on Joseph Campaue N. of Caniff. They are an Mexican-Asian fusion resturant. Maybe the only in the world.

Anybody been to Daves Soul Food/Rib King on 8 mile rd.?

I have always been told that Park's Bar-B-Q off Grand Blvd in New Center is the best... Unfortunately, I have yet to try it. Can anyone else vouche for Park's?

Young's only had two locations that I can remember. There was one on Livernois and another on Mt. Elliott. I've never had ribs as good since they closed.

I know there was a Young's on Woodward around Davison somewhere.

Rub Pub is awesome.

If we are going to mourn barbecue joints, we should pay homage to Checkers. Unique in the hours it kept combined with the clientele it nourished , I always wanted Detroit to be a city where that was a norm instead of an anomaly. Oh, the food was good, too.

Park's BBQ at Beaubien and Custer is still great and seems to still do decent business.

Parks ribs are good!

BB's BBQ used to have 2 locations, one on east and one on west 7 mile. They had some financial issues and consolidated into a location on Conner. LOVED their food. Now that location is closed as well. Every so often I call information to see if they opened somewhere else.

I'm getting tired of all my old haunts closing and fake-ass wanna-be BBQ joints opening up instead.

Is Young's the one that was owned by Coleman and his brother[[s)?

Wow, I've not thought about Parks in ages. Is it still open. They featured this wet yet granulated sauce that was the bomb !!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I have always been told that Park's Bar-B-Q off Grand Blvd in New Center is the best... Unfortunately, I have yet to try it. Can anyone else vouche for Park's?