Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default St. Margaret Mary School

I will be making threads more often on buildings that catch my eye. Here is St. Margaret Mary School. I'm hoping to get any discussion on these buildings like memories anyone has, historic information, owner.

The parish house is right next door - the people are very friendly. Stop by on a sunday as church is letting out and they will be happy to tell you all about the school and its history.

Don't be shy about providing some more info. For instance, location?

St. Margaret Mary church is located at 5075 Lemay. It is between Shoemaker and East Warren. The church [[in 2008) was now Hill of Calvary Missionary Baptist Church. As mentioned, the folks there are very nice and accomodating to those going back to their old neighborhood. My great uncle went back there shortly before he passed away and they were very accomodating and gave him a tour of the place.

The school was built in 1923 and closed in 1971. The parish closed in 1982. I am not certain, but I think that the Archdiocese still owns the land and the school. Recently, a photo from the inside of Margaret Mary was part of the Time Magazine photo essay.

Below are some images that I took of the school and church in May 2007.

Last edited by maxcarey; December-15-10 at 09:43 PM.

What Order of Sisters ran this school in the past?

Hey Zack.......Remember the fence in the back?!?!?!

^lmao, I tried to forget about that. It still gives me nightmares.

Slight correction...

St. Margaret Mary school closed in June, 1970 not 1971 as stated above. My aologies.

Sisters of St. Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by dgreen4 View Post
    Sisters of St. Joseph
    The Sisters of St. Joseph were at St.David as well.