Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WHOA! You Think Gistok Does Legos?

The famous modern-history-shattering Antikythera device has been re-created by someone with a bunch of time on their hands and cooler toys than you'll EVER have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPVCJjTNgk

Watch while seated!

They say it is a device to predict eclipses. I think it is way more than that.

Enjoy...

They say during the video that it uses TWICE the gears. So it ISN'T a true identical replica, but rather a simulation of what they think it is and does.

No matter what, the fact that the original exists totally destroys current history conclusions.

What you've been taught is a fabrication, and may be an outright lie on purpose!

So much for all that schoolin'. LOL

Brilliant follow-up, the 'Making Of...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBQu...eature=channel

Background on the original device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQSHiAYt98

This thing wasn't made by the Greeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsr62...eature=related

Thanks Gannon.... while I'm not a big LEGO TECHNIC fan.... I did get to play with the first LEGO gears when they came out when I was 12. The TECHNIC system of LEGO [[known as LEGO Expert Builder in the USA until the mid 1980s) has gears, axles, a differential... so LEGO came out with buildable models for dune buggies, bulldozers, cranes, helicopters, Jeeps, and all sort of mechanical devices.

As for that Greek device for detecting eclipses.... I must say WOW... especially to the Greeks!

That machine built out of LEGO however does have some drawbacks... the larger the LEGO machine, the more friction and drag placed on the gears and axles. There is a limit as to how big a machine one can build and have it functional using ABS plastic LEGO parts. That particular machine may be pushing the limits.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-15-10 at 01:52 AM.

When I was a kid my folks bought me a set of these every year for Christmas. This is different from Lego Technic right? My Pop got them at the BX at Selfridge AFB.

They were much more advanced than any Leggo set I had ever seen. Mine were all grey and red, didnt have any other colors then but lots of motors, wheels and gears to learn with. Most of the toys I got came and went but Fishertechnik I constantly played with. I dont think I realized how much I was learning playing with all the gears and motors. Each set I received was more advanced than the last. They were also much more expensive than Leggos. Wish I still had them.

I'm still playing with Erector sets.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I'm still playing with Erector sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This thing wasn't made by the Greeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsr62...eature=related
    What do you mean by that? Are you referring to the word "time-traveler" in the comment for that video?

I mean...they didn't display the technology in anything ELSE to be able to make a room-sized version of this, let alone a portable one!

When they were in their heyday...clocks were sundials, or sand/water glasses!

This piece was found in a Roman vessel which sank...after plundering Greek treasure.

It is pretty obvious it is from another age...one probably only described in mythology!

I haven't heard yet what material this clock was built out of, but those gears...including a few with variable origin point...are nearly impossible to make without computers and laser cutting devices!

After reading through this article; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism ; I may have to alter my opinion. The instructions were in Greek...

Despite the improved imagery provided by the linear tomography Wright could not reconcile all the known gears into a single coherent mechanism, and this led him to advance the theory that the mechanism had been altered, with some astronomical functions removed and others added.
    I wonder if it was actually built BEFORE that planet got smashed/blown up to become the asteroid belt?! That might explain a gear change.

I still say this predates the Greeks. WE try to fit it into our misunderstanding of so-called recorded history.

And yes, it MAY have been the 'tuner' for a type of 'time machine'...but until we all re-read Heinlein's Number of the Beast, I don't want to go there!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I mean...they didn't display the technology in anything ELSE to be able to make a room-sized version of this, let alone a portable one!
    You have a point there. Although it's also possible its rarity is due to an especially small technologically elite class of the time.

Either way, that is one fascinating little discovery.

I love that differential gear in the LEGO video. Differentials have been used to add two numbers in other analog computers. Except I think you have to use another gear to double the output since a differential alone only averages the two inputs.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-15-10 at 04:56 PM.