Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CaptainDetroit Guest

Default Student now has arrest record because of Steve Conn

Unbelievable. A sixteen year old student was arrested the other day for passing out campaign literature for Steve Conn/BAMN at Ronald Brown Academy. Conn and BAMN seem to have no scruples when it comes to using children to advance their agenda. No wonder Mildred Gaddis said, "The DFT would have to be insane to elect Steve Conn as president."

www.detnews.com/article/20101210/SCHOOLS/12100356

Who???????

BAMN is so fundamentally F-ed up. The name itself conveys a total lack of inclusiveness and complete closed-mindedness.

Um, nobody should be arrested for passing out political literature. I'm no fan of BAMN, but I detect a serious anti-free-speech tinge to this complaint against them.

Normally I'd agree Detroitnerd, but in this case, I don't know. Passing out political literature to minors in a school environment without the consent of the school or the parents sounds kind of over-the-line to me.

PEOPLE.... if you're going to post comments... at least read the links first!!!

Not freedom of speech..... outsiders trespassing inside a private school passing out literature... told to leave building... did not... got arrested for trespassing.... End Of Story!!

Private school? Steve Wasko speaks for the Detroit PUBLIC Schools.

Oddly delivering BAMN their newest young 'martyr'.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Public/Private....entered without permission, asked to leave, refused, got arrested...what did they expect?

Probably exactly what they got. Martyr-by-design.

By ANY Means Necessary, right?! Silly us for playing into their game.

Administration could step up and make this potential mountain back to the molehill it truly IS...but they are too busy Bobbing for Bullshit.

Agreed. Thus the name: BAMN. "By Any Mean Necessary"... No, school is not the place for campaigning, each school has a union steward in charge of distributing private ballots by which the teachers cast their vote, after having hopefully informing themselves on the candidates/ issues. What influence is a promoter from outside of the school during class time about, other than disruption of the learning process?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Oddly delivering BAMN their newest young 'martyr'.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-10 at 08:53 PM.

Exactly. In a given DPS school they have their hands full to get the 'registered' students in the building, and the vagrants and students from other schools, etc. out!! There's little room I would imagine for further disruption and distraction upon the teachers, security staff and or student population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Public/Private....entered without permission, asked to leave, refused, got arrested...what did they expect?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-10 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    Gotcha... whenever I see a name like RONALD BROWN ACADEMY... I think private school. So DPS names some of their Public schools as an "Academy". [[... and I have no clue who Steve Wasko is... name is not familiar).

Anyway, as has been stated... public or private... trespassing is trespassing.... and if you're asked to leave first.... that's showing that they gave them an opportunity to leave without getting arrested.

BAMN..... what a bunch of idiots. I remember one of their leaders got stabbed to death a few years ago for using his BAMN tactic of not backing down.... when he was hitting on some guys girlfriend.

Until the late 1980s, students were free to pass out literature without it being approved by the school. With a little hope, luck and hard work, we can get students' political rights back to the high-water mark of the 1980s, when anybody could go to and leave school and anybody could pass out any unapproved literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Until the late 1980s, students were free to pass out literature without it being approved by the school. With a little hope, luck and hard work, we can get students' political rights back to the high-water mark of the 1980s, when anybody could go to and leave school and anybody could pass out any unapproved literature.
    Is that likely to happen when fights can break out over a pair of shoes or the color of someone's clothes?

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Is this story being exaggerated just a tad for publicity? Arrested but not charged? What about school security? I mean how many rooms did they get to before they got caught/stopped? An arrest for political dissent[[?) could be seen as a good thing. At least this young man was not arrested for violence, unless one considers social/political dissent a form of violence.

This arrest won't stick on this/these students' permanent record[[s), right? What, a fine? Jail? What?

Methinks somebody's hating on BAMN! LOL!

Disclaimer: I am, in no way, shape, or form, affiliated with BAMN. Also, I have no agenda regarding Steve Conn.

Who's Steve Conn? Is he related to Didi Conn "You light up my life"?

Seriously, it's DPS. Shut it down, blow it up. Start over from scratch....

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Is that likely to happen when fights can break out over a pair of shoes or the color of someone's clothes?
    We fought all the time, but the media didn't care because we were middle-class white kids. Also, this was before writers and media spent a generation demonizing children as becoming a generation of "super predators." Oh, yes, those schools can be brought under control; all we have to do is turn them into prisons where students don't have any rights. Which may be the real lesson of a contemporary school; you are a subject, you may not complain. If you write one poem that could be interpreted as "violent" you'll be whisked off to jail. I've seen this happen over a 20-year period. It disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    Is this story being exaggerated just a tad for publicity? Arrested but not charged? What about school security? I mean how many rooms did they get to before they got caught/stopped? An arrest for political dissent[[?) could be seen as a good thing. At least this young man was not arrested for violence, unless one considers social/political dissent a form of violence.

This arrest won't stick on this/these students' permanent record[[s), right? What, a fine? Jail? What?

Methinks somebody's hating on BAMN! LOL!

Disclaimer: I am, in no way, shape, or form, affiliated with BAMN. Also, I have no agenda regarding Steve Conn.

I have no ill regards for each individual within the organization, surely they can learn for themselves and grow out of this petulant promise...but as for the group? By their very NAME, they prove to be anti-social to the extreme.

Any organization becomes an organism...and needs to do whatever necessary merely to survive. If they START without regards to anyone else in society, how do you think they'll continue? How will they ever know when to end?!

It is laughable to even consider a group by this name having any probability of solving problems...they only are able to MAKE many more and larger ones.

I'm open to being proven wrong on this, like with everything in life...I'd like to learn more.

Cheers

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I have no ill regards for each individual within the organization, surely they can learn for themselves and grow out of this petulant promise...but as for the group? By their very NAME, they prove to be anti-social to the extreme.

Any organization becomes an organism...and needs to do whatever necessary merely to survive. If they START without regards to anyone else in society, how do you think they'll continue? How will they ever know when to end?!

It is laughable to even consider a group by this name having any probability of solving problems...they only are able to MAKE many more and larger ones.

I'm open to being proven wrong on this, like with everything in life...I'd like to learn more.

Cheers
    Well, there are various paths to provoking change [[for the better). Some choose to work WITHIN the system; some choose to work BEYOND/OUTSIDE the system.

Unconventional means toward change might be tough for one to comprehend if the "system" has continually worked in one's favor/advancement.

"By any means necessary" is a quote from Malcolm X, an African American Muslim, human rights activist, and public speaker whose life experiences chartered him through a journey of both violent and non-violent approaches to change for Black Americans. Often his and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s sociopolitical philosophies were pitted against each other because of their differing approaches.

BAMN isn't trying to be a "social" organization. If one wants social/networking opportunities, they should join their local Kiwanis chapter, a religious order, scrapbooking circle, etc.

BAMN is no different than drug dealers. Worthless adults using kids to do their dirty work. Both groups are cowards that need to be done away with.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjb3 View Post
    Who's Steve Conn?

What the heck is Tuska-Heegee? This man is a fool.

Thanks for that, Foxy.

It seems true catalysts for [[hopefully positive) change always meet the same [[or at least similar) end.

"Often his and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s sociopolitical philosophies were pitted against each other because of their differing approaches."

I would argue that happened because it was instigated BY those who benefited most by having everyone at each other's throats...and distracted away from what they had previously been so charged-up against.

When it was obvious to some that Malcolm X had realized that a more general and humane approach might work better than his previous tack, or some would say ATtack, suddenly he was gone.

When it was obvious to some that Martin Luther King had realized a more stubbornly [[and in some instances aggressively) approach might work better than HIS previous passive tack, suddenly HE was gone.

It should be obvious that both approaches needed to understand that the other wasn't far from complimentary...but as they BEGAN to understand this...some greater negative force, seemingly favoring the status quo, made them go away. By any means necessary. Infiltrating their ranks, inciting one against the other, manipulating what they could directly, threatening along the way, finally...when all else failed...killing them dead.

Does THAT mean taking the same attitude is the right thing to do, get your way by any means necessary? I cannot say I agree that joining them in their negative error is a way of beating them at their own game.

IF any group would state first and foremost that NO negative energy would be 'allowed', that their actions would always follow a positive path...no violence, no aggression, no injury intended nor inadvertently delivered, no destruction [[perhaps EXCEPT against that which seeks to destroy them, I have a tough time toeing this line, consider me an 'early' Derek Jensen-type ethical and moral thinker on the way to choosing what type of 'do-er' I should finally be)...then it may then be deemed worthy of consideration by those of reason, emotion, and conscience.

But one that starts by taking a quote out-of-context...an OPEN-ENDED potential threat...nah, that is too much for me to consider. It is tough to endorse a group that doesn't give themselves limits.

How about By Any Positive Means Necessary? Of course, the acronym doesn't quite roll off the tongue in an offhand physical threat...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Wow, that guy can talk a lot without saying anything. Is he running for mayor or school board?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast