Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Great decision to hold DPS classes today

I arrived to my school just after 8:00 today [[our normal starting time) and my car was the fourth one in the parking lot. No administrators arrived until about 8:20, and I answered phone calls in the office for a few minutes before the secretaries showed up. The typical phone call consisted of a student or parent asking if school was still being held and then I would respond that school had not been canceled, but not to break a neck trying to get to school today [[in loco parentis there...had they been my kids and I couldn't drop them off and pick them up, I wouldn't send them in today). And to top that off, we have 5 kids in the building right now. What a waste.

Does anyone know who makes the call to cancel classes in DPS? Is it Bobb or the board? I just hope no kids were hurt trying to walk in the cold and on the ice today. Seems like somebody dropped the ball on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    I arrived to my school just after 8:00 today [[our normal starting time) and my car was the fourth one in the parking lot. No administrators arrived until about 8:20, and I answered phone calls in the office for a few minutes before the secretaries showed up. The typical phone call consisted of a student or parent asking if school was still being held and then I would respond that school had not been canceled, but not to break a neck trying to get to school today [[in loco parentis there...had they been my kids and I couldn't drop them off and pick them up, I wouldn't send them in today). And to top that off, we have 5 kids in the building right now. What a waste.

Does anyone know who makes the call to cancel classes in DPS? Is it Bobb or the board? I just hope no kids were hurt trying to walk in the cold and on the ice today. Seems like somebody dropped the ball on this one.

I attended DPS from 1944 to 1954 before "global warming" when Detroit usually got snow cover shortly after Thanksgiving and you didn't see the ground again until mid-March. During that time, we never lost a single day due to snow. The big kids just "broke trail" and the little kids just followed.

After we moved to Rochester, we lost one or two days a winter 1954-1957 when the school buses couldn't negotiate the narrow gravel roads with deep ditches. We used to joke that if Mr. Huizenga, the Deputy School Superintendent [[and bus guru) couldn't get out of his driveway [[he lived way up on Dutton Road) he would cancel school.

If Shorpy Higgenbotham could make it to work at the mine, then these kids should be able to get to school after 5 inches of snow.

Yes, by God, frostbite and slick sidewalks that haven't been shoveled be damned.

The issue today isn't the snow, it's the cold and ice. Most people have no clue as to just how many students rely on catching a bus to get to school or have to walk to school--and trust me, the days of the true "neighborhood" schools are gone with all the closures.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidechris View Post
    Yes, by God, frostbite and slick sidewalks that haven't been shoveled be damned.

The issue today isn't the snow, it's the cold and ice. Most people have no clue as to just how many students rely on catching a bus to get to school or have to walk to school--and trust me, the days of the true "neighborhood" schools are gone with all the closures.
    1. I can not remember a single case of frostbite among my classmates during my school days and we had one hell of a lot less in the way of high tech winter clothing then. On a cold day, we had the old navy pea jackets and navy watch caps with a scarf tied around our face. We also wore the old buckle up rubber galoshes over our street shoes.

2. If the sidewalks were too icy to walk [[and it really had to be a sheet of glass), we would walk in the snow covering the grass. One game we alwyas played on ice was to slide sideways into another guy's feet so that his feet slammed togehter and he fell over.fell.

3. We would usually walk on the side streets to school as they were never plowed, just packed down snow from several snow falls.

When I lived in Detroit, I did not have far to go for school: down a few houses and across the street. I think we got *a* snow day in maybe 1964 but I don't actually remember more about it than having to change from school uniform to play clothes. Seems like there were some snow days while my brothers were still in school - that would be mid-1970s.

We live in SW Michigan now. My kid is off school for the day not so much because of the snow depth - which wasn't a lot - but because of icy road conditions. I am glad, as I don't want my child on a bus - or even in a car - on the mostly secondary roads his school bus covers. We're not that far out in the country, but the roads are just plain awful. My drive to work [[16 miles) was slow and treacherous on a primary road that was glassy and slick in spite of being relatively well-traveled. What gets me is, the road commission says it's too cold to salt/treat, so their trucks are parked. IMO they need to get out there because even if the salt isn't going to work right away, the sand will!

I too was a DPS student in the late 60-70's when the snow was up to the storm door bottom, in 2ft. huge drifts and piles and half way up your shin and school RARELY CLOSED!!!!!!!!! Now all districts close if just a bit of snow.

That being said, today was very, very icy. Ice trucks DO NOT RUN as they did in past decades so perhaps the reasoning for closing is more apt, however DPS was the only one that opened. And their poor turnout I hear. Nearly all of the community colleges are closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I attended DPS from 1944 to 1954 before "global warming" when Detroit usually got snow cover shortly after Thanksgiving and you didn't see the ground again until mid-March. During that time, we never lost a single day due to snow. The big kids just "broke trail" and the little kids just followed.

After we moved to Rochester, we lost one or two days a winter 1954-1957 when the school buses couldn't negotiate the narrow gravel roads with deep ditches. We used to joke that if Mr. Huizenga, the Deputy School Superintendent [[and bus guru) couldn't get out of his driveway [[he lived way up on Dutton Road) he would cancel school.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-10 at 11:08 AM.

I'm sitting here in my classroom and have not had a single kid so far today. There are a few kids in the building but just a few. The roads were horrid coming in and we were slipping and falling in the parking lot and sidewalks. The kids that are here are reporting that they have no gloves [[so I need to dig into my bag and see what I have) and their hands are frozen [[some can't move their fingers). They also reported waiting an hour or more at the bus stop for late buses [[DDOT).

STUPID decision to keep DPS open when EVERY other district around here is closed!

Hah! I had not thought about those rubber gollashes in ages. I recall being really cold trudging away in 8+ snow, but did not get frost bitten...

With more crazies on the road it is safer to close the schools and it's really icy today. The question remains why was DPS open today when they closed last year a couple of times for far less snow and ice??????
    1. I can not remember a single case of frostbite among my classmates during my school days and we had one hell of a lot less in the way of high tech winter clothing then. On a cold day, we had the old navy pea jackets and navy watch caps with a scarf tied around our face. We also wore the old buckle up rubber galoshes over our street shoes.

2. If the sidewalks were too icy to walk [[and it really had to be a sheet of glass), we would walk in the snow covering the grass. One game we alwyas played on ice was to slide sideways into another guy's feet so that his feet slammed togehter and he fell over.fell.

3. We would usually walk on the side streets to school as they were never plowed, just packed down snow from several snow falls.

Agreed. Even some of the colleges closed. WSU is open of course. It takes much, much more for WSU to close..... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    I'm sitting here in my classroom and have not had a single kid so far today. There are a few kids in the building but just a few. The roads were horrid coming in and we were slipping and falling in the parking lot and sidewalks. The kids that are here are reporting that they have no gloves [[so I need to dig into my bag and see what I have) and their hands are frozen [[some can't move their fingers). They also reported waiting an hour or more at the bus stop for late buses [[DDOT).

STUPID decision to keep DPS open when EVERY other district around here is closed!

Yes, WSU is open. I'm prepping to go in for my office hours. But at least SOMETIMES Wayne State closes. U of M and MSU never, ever, EVER close. Ever. For any reason.

With more and more kids coming from farther away, it's silly to not close schools. It's not like the kids are walking to school in their neighborhood. Most of them walk alone [[either to school or to the bus stop). It's not like they walk with friends anymore. I can just see a kid walking to school/bus and falling down bad enough to get hurt, in the snow, alone.

It's not like it was when we went to school way back when. People are driving crazy, sliding onto the sidewalks, kids are alone, and most don't have the proper gear to be out in weather like this!

Yeah, it'd have to be 'end of days' snow for those colleges to close! LOL! Henry Ford Community College never closes either! THEY ARE OPEN!
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Yes, WSU is open. I'm prepping to go in for my office hours. But at least SOMETIMES Wayne State closes. U of M and MSU never, ever, EVER close. Ever. For any reason.

Point was stated....
    With more and more kids coming from farther away, it's silly to not close schools. It's not like the kids are walking to school in their neighborhood. Most of them walk alone [[either to school or to the bus stop). It's not like they walk with friends anymore. I can just see a kid walking to school/bus and falling down bad enough to get hurt, in the snow, alone.

It's not like it was when we went to school way back when. People are driving crazy, sliding onto the sidewalks, kids are alone, and most don't have the proper gear to be out in weather like this!

Oakland U has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.

I do remember once that GPPSS being the only public school system in Ohio/Indian/Michigan that was open back in the day. In fact I recall going out for lunch and doing some fantastic donuts in Finneys lot @ lunchtime that day as well as an ill advised street surfing incident with a garbage can lid and a rope on my buddies Explorer on the way back.

Buy American Guest

I attended Detroit Public Schools from 1950 to 1963 and don't remember one day that the schools were closed because of snow or ice. I walked four blocks to my elementary school, four blocks the other way to my Junior High School, and four blocks to my high school which was next door to jr. high. We walked to school with snow up to our knees or higher. We were bundled up with sweaters, coats, a scarf covering our noses and hats.
    I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!! Our kids are coddled, pampered, and insulated from life's little inconveniences and when they are old enough to go out on their own and face life, it will be very difficult because it's all about "ME, ME, ME" and what I'm entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFromDetroit View Post
    I do remember once that GPPSS being the only public school system in Ohio/Indian/Michigan that was open back in the day. In fact I recall going out for lunch and doing some fantastic donuts in Finneys lot @ lunchtime that day as well as an ill advised street surfing incident with a garbage can lid and a rope on my buddies Explorer on the way back.
    GPPS is always open. we were always told it was because there are no buses to blame a closure on. Plus you can only live about a mile or mile and half from the schools at most. I can only remember one snow day and it was because of super cold temps after an ice storm.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I attended Detroit Public Schools from 1950 to 1963 and don't remember one day that the schools were closed because of snow or ice. I walked four blocks to my elementary school, four blocks the other way to my Junior High School, and four blocks to my high school which was next door to jr. high. We walked to school with snow up to our knees or higher. We were bundled up with sweaters, coats, a scarf covering our noses and hats.
    I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!! Our kids are coddled, pampered, and insulated from life's little inconveniences and when they are old enough to go out on their own and face life, it will be very difficult because it's all about "ME, ME, ME" and what I'm entitled to.
    If this is satire, it's fucking brilliant.

"I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!!"

Yeah, you walked up hill to school in cardboard shoes - both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oakland U has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.
    MSU-O has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.

Fixed it for you.

"I'd like to ask people today a question...what kind of work ethics does this teach today's children? When they are out in the workforce and a little snow falls during the night, they will wake up and think they are entitled to a snow day from work!!!"

No snow days off when you were kids? You were lucky. Not only did we have no snows off, we had to to walk uphill for ten miles into driving winds and snow, then build our own school.

MSU-O has closed like 3 times in 15 yrs and that's because it's mostly a commuter school.

Fixed it for you.
    Oakland University is its own entity now; no longer a satellite of MSU. There, fixed it for you

We used to have knitted mittens. They were warm as long as they didn't get wet. Of course, we had el cheapo Tom McCann shoes and corduroy pants instead of hundred dollar sneakers and Tommy Middlefinger label clothes so our parents could afford the mittens.

Ravine Guest

Damn kids walkin' to school better stay off'n my lawn, with their pants hangin' off they asses and coddled noses scarfing up some other kid's Pampers.

Oh wait. Where were we, now?
    Carry on.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast