Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

MIRepublic Guest

Default Eastpointe City Council Drama

If they tried one more time, the third time could be the charm...

Eastpointe City Council choices owers back taxes, water bill

BY CHRISTINA HALL • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • May 8, 2009

The Eastpointe City Council appointed city police Chaplain James Friedman to fill the seat vacated by former Councilman Ron Selvidge, who resigned in January after he was charged with insurance fraud and making a false police report.

The appointment came in a 3-1 vote Wednesday. Councilwoman Veronica Klinefelt dissented, saying Thursday that she thought Philip Guastella, the other finalist, "was a better fit for the council."

Friedman's appointment came after a man in the audience said one of the finalists, whom he did not identify, had not paid his taxes or water bill. A check of city and Macomb County records shows that Friedman owes $12,820 for 2007 and 2008 property taxes and $3,154 in water bills.

City Manager Darwin Parks said there is nothing that legally prevents Friedman from serving on the council because of back taxes or delinquent water bills. City Attorney Robert J. Hribar agreed after scanning the city charter.

Friedman could not be reached for comment. Parks said he must be sworn in before a budget work session at 6:30 p.m. Monday, but no day or time has been set.

Contact CHRISTINA HALL: 586-826-7265 or chall@freepress.com

So when I got a couple months behind on my water bill, I didn't have to worry about it being shut off, because I was only a couple hundred dollars in arears and no where near this guy's $3,154 in back water bills?? Why was the water still turned on?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    So when I got a couple months behind on my water bill, I didn't have to worry about it being shut off, because I was only a couple hundred dollars in arears and no where near this guy's $3,154 in back water bills?? Why was the water still turned on?
    Could he have multiple houses that he owns? I'd wonder why that is as well.

Retroit Guest

So a person that is not responsible enough to pay their bills is the best custodian of the taxpayers dollars? Are these people for real? I guess Detroit is not alone in condoning irresponsibility in government officials. Must be nice to be a police chaplain. Bet he's immune from law enforcement too!

Yeah, shame on those bad old suburbanites. I mean, sheesh, their problems are way worse than those of Detroit, right?

No one has claimed that on this thread. Why are you trying to pick a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Yeah, shame on those bad old suburbanites. I mean, sheesh, their problems are way worse than those of Detroit, right?

Buy American Guest

He probably gets some sort of break because of his "minister" status. Personally, I think it's a shame that these people in the public eye are so damn irresponsible. I'm sure that 99% of us out there make sure our bills are paid on time, monthly. I get the feeling there is some sort of preferential treatment and the average citizen in Eastpointe should be damn mad.

Those who are public servants should be above reproach. Whether they are Detroiters, ie, Kym Worthy, Kwame Kenyatta....or suburbanites like the mayor of Eastpointe and this "preacher",they should make sure that their finances are in order.

Retroit Guest

Not to mention our current Secretary of Treasury Timothy "Oh, I have to pay taxes too?" Geithner.

Who cares???? It's East Detroit.... Like it ever mattered.

Retroit Guest

Does anyplace ever matter?

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    Why was the water still turned on?
    Eastpointe has a no shut off policy. If you don't pay your water bill they add it to your property taxes. If you don't pay your property taxes [[past due water included), they are supposed to take the property. Apparently not, at least in this case.

Part of the reason why the bill got so large may not be because he didn't pay the bill. Until between 1 and 2 years ago, the water meters in EP were read manually. If the reader couldn't access the meter, an estimate was made. When the new meters [[which can be read electronically without actually seeing the meter) were installed, a final "actual" reading was made of the old meter. Some people and businesses got socked with huge bills based on that actual reading. I know my bill was almost $1,000 when that happened even though I paid the estimate bill every quarter. Back then, the city suspended late fees and fines for over a year to give people a grace period to pay off the balances.

This may be what happened to him, or he may just be a deadbeat. I know I paid off my balance during the grace period which I believe ended last August.

jjw - It apparently matters enough to you to remember a name that was last used what, like over 15 years ago.