Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Name me a deserving DPS school

As an avid Target shopper, I have a Target credit card. Target has a program where a certain % of your Target credit card purchases can be donated to a school of your choice. I'd love to choose a DPS school. So what is a DPS school that is in need [[i suppose they all are) and deserves the contribution? I want to make sure it goes to a school that has it's head on straight... a school where the faculty is really committed to the students. Please give me your suggestions

Thanks!

Western High School

Chrysler Elementary School
    1445 E, Lafayette
    Detroit, MI
    [[313) 494-8440
    Principal Linda Whitaker

Check out Great Schools MEAP results
    http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...1078#standards

Target program is already in place.
    Box tops are also collected.

COOLEY!! We are being reconstituted [[the Principal is retiring and it's a good time to do so) but we have GREAT kids who deserve so much more than what they are getting. Our MME scores are getting better, we have quite a few kids who made the state average on the ACT, and many who have been accepted to college.

Just curious, but what would make a school be undeserving?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What school was Moronica Conyours allowed to graduate from?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    an undeserving school would be one where the faculty has given up on the students and just don't give a shit. i want to make sure the money goes to a school that will put it to good use.

Cass Tech, and Renenciase[[sp?) High School,

Alonzo Bates Academy

Despite the name probaby the best K-8 school in the city. Feeder school for Cass Tech and Renaissance.

Western International High School, 1500 Scotten

Retroit Guest

^ Unemployed English Major, by chance?

Retroit Guest

Well, congratulations on staying awake during the Apostrophe Lesson.

A+

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    Cass Tech, and Renenciase[[sp?) High School,
    Of course, the obvious choice would be the top 2 schools [[academically) in the city of Detroit.

I have a big bag of Box Tops [[for Education) that I had been saving for my husband's school. He is a chemistry teacher in Indiana [[looking for work in Michigan). His school does not participate in the Box Tops program.

I could mail the box tops to Cooley or to Cass Tech.

Retroit Guest

How about Campbell's Soup labels? Any schools still collect those?

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    No, full-time employed non-English major.

I appreciate irony, though, and want to lend some kind of balance to this blog.
    This is a message board; not a blog.

Score two for pedantry!

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    Maybe you could put that 23 cents toward grammar lessons for yourself. Otherwise, I can't see where throwing more money at DPS would help.
    Thanks mom.

PS. Get over yourself

thanks for all the suggestions everyone. if anyone else wants to enroll in the program, just go to http://www.target.com/tcoe [[you need a Target credit card)

Props to Target for doing this. They have really donated a lot! Cass Tech has received over $22,000 from this program!

Default Detroit schools

The Detroit school system might be a mess, but I can't imagine why any individual school wouldn't be deserving of funds to help meet their students' needs. Detroit has some very good schools that deserve support, some of which have been mentioned in this thread. Detroit also has thousands of children who deserve much more than they are getting when they go to school every day. Maybe it would be better to direct your money to a school that isn't a top performer but could be if it had the resources? Just my $.02.

Mumford High School, the best kept secret in the city.

Bates! I was a nanny for a family who sent their kids there, it was a great education. When they moved to Los Angeles, the kids were a year ahead in all subjects.

There are several very good public schools in the Detroit here is a list of some the highest performing DPS schools.

Renaissance High School
    Cass Technical High School
    Bates Academy
    Chrysler Elementary School
    Ludington Magnet Middle School
    Burton International School
    Gompers Elementary School
    McColl Elementary School
    Wright, Charles School
    Carstens Elementary School
    Nichols Elementary School
    Nichols Elementary School
    Harding Elementary School
    Mann Elementary School
    Pasteur Elementary School
    Thirkell Elementary School

My information is from a good web site Great Schools
    http://www.greatschools.net/

You can also check out the state of Michigan school grades
    http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7...877---,00.html

but any Detroit school needs support and as teacher myself when money gets directly to a school it is usually spent well on things that school needs.

The Foreign Language Immersion Cultual School.....best K-8 in Detroit...

Osborn High School.
    It needs the money badly and every student I"ve known from that school is intensely passionate about their education.

I know Western is great in terms of the passion and support that the teachers and administrators have. At Osborn that passion comes from the students.

25. Default

I say any school that's good and does NOT have a new building. There are many other deserving schools out there that get skipped over. They typical Cass/Renaissance/DSA etc schools already have better resources than other schools- not to say they can't use more.

I say Bates/Burton International are some schools that could use a little help as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast