Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bing Addresses MCS on FlashPoint

Was watching Flash Point this morning. Devon Scillian asked Mayor Bing about is thoughts on Matty Moroun. Bing avoided saying anything negative. Devon followed up with a question about the possibility of a new bridge. Bing answered by stating that a new bridge would be great for jobs, but it makes no sense to build "half a bridge" if Windsor can't get on board with the plan.

Finally, Devon followed up with a question about the MCS. Bing said they are going public with development news this week. However, he did warn that there was news of development 15 years ago and nothing happened, and if the Bridge Co doesn't take action this time the City will.

Any thoughts or additional information?

Check it out. The whole video is good. The specific topic about Matty is in the last 2 minutes.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26092771/index.html

I didn't know Bing had free time and resources to be putting towards MCS and for what purpose? More vacant land in the city?

like I've been saying for a long time, the property is not just Moroun's, Canadian Pacific Railway and The city of Detroit own an equal share of the complex, and its mostly the City's property which is used to gain access to the building... which is owned by Moroun.

When Transformers 3 was in the building they did a better job securing the city's property than ever before. Not just because they had 24 hour security, but they also welded and fenced off entrances that had previously only been boarded up in a half-assed fashion. Obviously they missed an opening because people are getting in again, but for a while there, it was impenetrable.

At some point I think the CPR needs to wake up and realize that leaving their part of the property exposed how it is could lead to a very serious situation in terms of terrorism and a disruption of international commerce if some one snuck under the tracks and left a bomb.

Hopefully we'll hear some good positive development news. As MCS is a powerful symbol of decline, a renovation could make quite the impact as a symbol of revitalization and hope...more so than just an empty lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post

At some point I think the CPR needs to wake up and realize that leaving their part of the property exposed how it is could lead to a very serious situation in terms of terrorism and a disruption of international commerce if some one snuck under the tracks and left a bomb.
    Verdammt Partisans!!! Ve vill geht zem!

I'm excited to hear what this news is. But the mayor worried me a little bit when he said that if nothing is done with it then they will have to take action.

Why do I range between skeptical [so many previous teases], cynical [Moroun deparetely in search of a PR boost - facing contempt charge for not building out the ramps but building duty free on land he does not own] and hopeful [the general area has gradually been improving]?

Tiger Stadium and MCD were the 'twin towers' of problems for Corktown. Will they now be the twin weed lots?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    like I've been saying for a long time, the property is not just Moroun's, Canadian Pacific Railway and The city of Detroit own an equal share of the complex, and its mostly the City's property which is used to gain access to the building... which is owned by Moroun.

When Transformers 3 was in the building they did a better job securing the city's property than ever before. Not just because they had 24 hour security, but they also welded and fenced off entrances that had previously only been boarded up in a half-assed fashion. Obviously they missed an opening because people are getting in again, but for a while there, it was impenetrable.

Well geez, the bridge company had no problem stealing parkland from Detroit, and hell, even a whole street, when it suited their needs. Why wouldn't they secure their building on "Detroit property" if that is the case? Oh yeah, because they don't give a shit about the MCS.

mcsdettroitfriend -- the idea that Mr Moroun can blame his own bad actions on his neighbors is laughable. Maybe we could all refuse to maintain property if our neighbor fails to.

Regardless of what his excuse is, the time for action is now. We have seen larger buildings in far worse condition [[Book Cadillac) undergo renovations. The fact of the matter is not that nobody's interested, if that building were renovated, people would be interested.

Maroun has to realize, that he holds a major key to Corktown's future, and that there won't be a whole lot of interest in Corktown with the shadow of MCS looming over it. People looking at MCS will look around at the neighborhood and say, "this place looks terrible." The fact of the matter is, with MCS looking like it does, nobody else will want to invest in the area, while at the same time, nobody will want to committ to a lease at MCS with the neighborhood looking the way it does. If Maroun assumes a little bit of risk, can get a decent number of tenants to committ to leases, and get construction underway, people will begin investing in the area, and by the time the construction is complete, the place will look much nicer and more attractive to buinesses.

It would likely benefit the future of the Tiger Stadium site as well. However, at the present time, Maroun has been trying to get government agencies to give him tenants, with hopes of finding enough to fill the entire building, but until a plan is in place, it is unlikely to happen.

Like I said, MCS is holding this area back. If something can't get done soon, and I hate to say it, but MCS will likely have to come down. Maroun is essentially holding other business and property owners hostage by neglecting the property. Others have invested in the area hoping that it would continue to grow, but MCS still holds Corktown back.
    Last edited by esp1986; December-13-10 at 04:04 PM.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    ...there won't be a whole lot of interest in Corktown with the shadow of MCS looming over it. People looking at MCS will look around at the neighborhood and say, "this place looks terrible." The fact of the matter is, with MCS looking like it does, nobody else will want to invest in the area...
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I feel like anybody who is that put off by the sight of the MCS probably isn't going to invest in Detroit anyway, and if anything, I think the MCS has focused more positive attention on the neighborhood than it would have otherwise gotten. I'm not defending Moroun by any means, but I don't think the MCS is holding Corktown back.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I feel like anybody who is that put off by the sight of the MCS probably isn't going to invest in Detroit anyway, and if anything, I think the MCS has focused more positive attention on the neighborhood than it would have otherwise gotten. I'm not defending Moroun by any means, but I don't think the MCS is holding Corktown back.
    Agreed. I also disagree with 1986 that the building has to be brought down if nothing is done with it. Why is this always the other option to redevelopment, as opposed to mothballing or letting it remain vacant? How about gutting the building and turning it into a performance space? Why does it have to be all-or-nothing? That has never made sense to me.

PS - Just for the record, the Book Caddy was in far BETTER condition than MCS at the time of its renovation. At least it wasn't totally a skeleton.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    PS - Just for the record, the Book Caddy was in far BETTER condition than MCS at the time of its renovation. At least it wasn't totally a skeleton.
    Granted, MCS is a 'skeleton,' but with any renovation of an abandoned building, they would all be turned into skeletons. The Book Caddy, however, required a much more invasive renovation cost than typical of large buildings, one that caused the renovation to increase so substantially that it almost didn't happen. The Book Caddy required quite a bit of steel work on the structure itself, largely caused by the size of the building. MCS, while it has been stripped of everything, making it seem to be in worse shape, having nothing in it actually eliminates the abatement/cleaning-out process that would begin the renovation, so that is not a big deal at all.

The problem with MCS has been that Maroun has been waiting for something to show up at his door, something that may never happen. I really am hoping that he does do something with it, it is far too beautiful of a building to let it go to waste.

I honestly can't think of a productive use that is financially feasible for a building as big and in as poor shape as MCS, especially when you consider where it is.

I think they should save the entire lower facade, demolish the building, and incorporate the facade into the new transit center in south New Center where the Amtrak facility is. There has been a long time plan to build Detroit's functional "union station" there. I dont see any better way then to incorporate the architectural detailing of Detroit's old "union station"

Does the whole thing really need to be in use? What about fixing what MUST be fixed [[roof, water, electrical....) clean her up, install the windows, rehab the first and whatever other floors you need, then seal the rest up. Leave only minimal power for heating in important areas, maybe to light up a few windows in the upper floors for looks, maintenance access, etc...
    If more investment comes as a result, you open up floors as required.
    When people start investing in Corktown again, everyone is going to kick themselves for letting such a tresure meet the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Does the whole thing really need to be in use? What about fixing what MUST be fixed [[roof, water, electrical....) clean her up, install the windows, rehab the first and whatever other floors you need, then seal the rest up. Leave only minimal power for heating in important areas, maybe to light up a few windows in the upper floors for looks, maintenance access, etc...
    If more investment comes as a result, you open up floors as required.
    When people start investing in Corktown again, everyone is going to kick themselves for letting such a tresure meet the ball.
    This is exactly what NEEDS to happen. However, the problem is that Maroun is conservative, he will only spend a dime if he is sure it can be profitable, rather than spending some money, cleaning it up, sealing it up, and replacing essential infrastructure, i.e. electrical, HVAC, and plumbing, and making it look attractive for prospective tenants. He won't spend a ton and hope that he will be able to lease it, his business is not real estate, it's trucking and transportation in general, so he is not about to take a risk like that, regardless of how big it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    MCS isn't really a skeleton inside. You can basically walk through all the floors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by apbest View Post
    I honestly can't think of a productive use that is financially feasible for a building as big and in as poor shape as MCS, especially when you consider where it is.

I think they should save the entire lower facade, demolish the building, and incorporate the facade into the new transit center in south New Center where the Amtrak facility is. There has been a long time plan to build Detroit's functional "union station" there. I dont see any better way then to incorporate the architectural detailing of Detroit's old "union station"
    Actually the MCS is strategicaly located at the junction of all the major rail lines serving our region + the tracks that lead to the tunnel to Canada that is about to be expanded. Plus there is ample room for facilities neccesary for a major "union station" type setup. Not so in New Center.

New Center might be better positioned in terms of proximity to major employers, institutions, and future light rail but another light rail line could be built and connect to Corktown, Southwest and Dearborn and have direct access to MCS. This is all in the future anyway, so we should strive to make the best plan possible because it will be what we get for decades to come.

I won't even explain the logistical nightmare that is moving a massive historic facade and reconstructing it at a site that is too small for a major rail station.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Actually the MCS is strategicaly located at the junction of all the major rail lines serving our region + the tracks that lead to the tunnel to Canada that is about to be expanded. Plus there is ample room for facilities neccesary for a major "union station" type setup. Not so in New Center.

New Center might be better positioned in terms of proximity to major employers, institutions, and future light rail but another light rail line could be built and connect to Corktown, Southwest and Dearborn and have direct access to MCS. This is all in the future anyway, so we should strive to make the best plan possible because it will be what we get for decades to come.

I won't even explain the logistical nightmare that is moving a massive historic facade and reconstructing it at a site that is too small for a major rail station.
    The long term plan for light rail calls for a line in the Michigan Ave. corridor.

....what would it take to renovate the site into a concert venue?

is it feasible at all to make Condos out of the property?

...what would it take for the city to sieze the property deed?

I went to the National register of historic places website and when i found the station it is listed as Penn Central Station. Why is that?

http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natregsear...rue&recordid=0

National Register of Historical Places [[NRHP Reference#: 75000969)

The Michigan Central Railroad was operated by the New York Central Railroad. Penn Central was a company that was created in 1968 when Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central Railroad merged. Congress nationalized a bunch of rails including Penn Central in 1976 to form Conrail.

The building was placed in the National register in 1975, and I believe Penn Central operated the rails at that time.

I see maps that still list it as an Amtrak station.

Being on the NRHP doesn't protect it from demolishion? Or require specific maintenance needs or anything like that?
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; December-15-10 at 10:12 PM.