Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where were you when Lennon died?

Hard to believe its been 30 years. I was working at KQMQ-FM in Honolulu when the news came over the wire. The phones lit up and people were calling in crying. We immediately went to all Beatles music. Things got really crazy when the world found out the shooter, Mark Chapman, was from Honolulu. We fielded a lot of calls from news organizations all over the world looking for information about him. It was a day I'll never forget.

I really don't know. I was 11 years old. To put things in perspective, I did know where I was when I heard Freddie Mercury died, which must have had the same impact as John Lennon's death. And to be exact, I was here at one minute past 7 AM on the morning of monday the 25th of November 1991. Within close corners it was known that Mercury was gravely ill but me, and all the rest of the world were kept in limbo until he was gone.

I was 7 when Elvis died. I remember the news bulletins during his burial. I remember seeing the hears leave Graceland.

And now that Aretha is very ill, I'll sure will know where I will be when the time comes....
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-11-10 at 10:31 PM.

I was listening to Canadian radio at home on the shores of Lake Superior. Johann Bruno Shane was the DJ.

I was 13 and in bed when it was announced [[it was after 11 when it was announced) so I didn't hear about it until the next morning on my way to school.

Sitting in my apartment watching Monday Night Football. I wonder how many people got the news from Frank, Don and Howard?

littlebuddy Guest

Sitting in my dorm room at MSU.

getting ready to watch johnny carson with mom

I was at work in the Penobscot Building when a co-worker told me. We cried and cried. In fact, I'm still in touch with Lorrie and just told her the other day that most people associate the name of John Lennon with that of Mark David Chapman - but not me - I associate John's name with hers. She wrote me back that some people just have to be the bearer of bad news.

Imagine all the songs that John would have written considering today's world. Chapman silenced that forever. Imagine...

Where were you when Jeff Goldblum died?

I was askin myself, Jeff Goldblum died, when?

I found out Lennon died while getting ready for school the next morning. Remember very well when I heard Elvis died on the radio while on my way to the State Fair in Louisville. The news was huge down there.

Kurt Cobain sticks in my head, had just pulled into Detroit from Miami after some Grateful Dead shows.

Watching Football with my Dad but not remember hearing about the shooting [[even though Cosell made an interruption).
    I do vividly remember that my Sat. morning cartoons were pre-empted for the gatherings going on in Central Park. I was upset about that even though I knew who Lennon was [[a big Beatles fan) but I thought he was dull without the other 3. I coundn't understand the fuss. I remember telling my Mom that people get shot and killed in Detroit everyday what made this so special [[I was 7). Now I understand the people were endeared to him.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Sitting in my apartment watching Monday Night Football. I wonder how many people got the news from Frank, Don and Howard?
    Now that you mention it, I guess that's how I found out too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gcdz1IRVoM

I was headed for the fligth line cafeteria at Anderson AFB on Guam and saw the newspaper headline. With the date line and time difference that would have had to be the morning on Dec 10th [[local). We where TDY from Sawyer in the UP and didn't have access to the TV or radio, not that you got much on them back in 80.

i was pretending to be a tourist, didn't hear the news for a couple of wks.

In the parking lot of the Armadillo WHQ in Austin.

A trailer in Aspen Colorado.

I was a fetus.

I did a blog posting about the whole thing, including the Sunday morning [[out here) silence asked for by Yoko. Did anyone here attend one of the gatherings scheduled for 2pm EST?

I was a freshman in college and I was sleeping. The next day was my birthday and I awoke to the radio alarm informing me of the murder. Sad, sad day for me. I went out to eat with my family that night and I was waiting for my Dad's usual, "pinko, commie, red", comments. But he was strangely sympathetic. I guess that dinner was what I remember the most about Lennon's death.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    I was a fetus.
    You were in The Cult of the Psychic Fetus? That's one of my favorite bands.

http://www.myspace.com/cotpf

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    You were in The Cult of the Psychic Fetus? That's one of my favorite bands.

http://www.myspace.com/cotpf
    Yes, thats right. Played bass for a while then I left due to "creative differences". Stayed in bed for a few years and even built a sandbox in my living room... Those were the days.

Douglasm, I didn't even know about it. I hadn't heard anything on tv or radio. But then since Yoko was doing it I would imagine most media would have ignored it since they have treated her awful since she married John.

Playing Euchre in Hadley Hall, WMU

Pingu Guest

How many guesses do I get?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast