Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Peninsular Steel

Hello everyone! My name is George, and I live in Northeast Ohio, and I'm looking for some information. My father worked at a place called Peninsular Steel, about 1945 to 1950.After that, he transfered to the Cleveland location.My Mom thought that it may have been on a Macdougall street,near John R, which may or may not be correct. Using google maps, the only industrial area of Macdougall, is just north of the Hamtramck plant, so it may have got torn down, when the plant was built. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone out there, heard of this company or knows where it was located. Thank You.

From page 2471 of the 1928 Polk's Detroit City Directory"

Peninsular Steel Co.
    1030-1036 McDougall Ave.
    [[located between E. Lafayette and Monroe )

Here is a 1930s map showing McDougall as it existed when Peninsular Steel was located there

Attachment 8010

It was a small tool shop, not a steel mill, so that's why it doesn't appear to be in an industrial location. Long gone by the way, due to slum clearance.

WOW! Thank You Mike, for that quick response. I was looking in the opposite direction [[ north of the Packard ). I figured that it was a long shot, to throw that company name out there. I think they closed up, in the mid-late 60's. Thanks again Mike.

Default Peninsular Steel

Was he the branch manager? George Kuhnle [[sp)

garybrey: I think my Dad worked in the shop ,while at the Detroit location. He worked at the Cleveland location until the mid-late 1960's. I remember the name Kuhnle. I believe he was one of the brothers, that owned the company.

garybrey: The company was owned by 3 brothers with the last name of Kurtz.

The Mike Wonderboys to the rescue again. Thanks for all you guys bring to this site.

Talked to my Mom yesterday. She said that George Kuhnle was my fathers boss, here at the Cleveland location. Don't know if he also was at Detroit. garybrey; how do you know of the name George Kuhnle? Did you work at the Detroit location?