Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    When Col. Hecker left this home in the Cultural Center, perhaps not by choice, he moved further out Woodward to new a home designed by Stanford White of the firm McKim, Mead, and White where he still resides to this day.

Neil, tell us about your favorite J. Ivan Dise house...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Neil, tell us about your favorite J. Ivan Dise house...
    From a DY thread earlier this year:
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    For those not familiar with the work of J. Ivan Dise, he specialized in domestic architecture in the Tudor Revival style in the 1920's. He designed many such homes in the University District, Boston/Edison, Sherwood Forest, Grosse Pointe, etc.

The picture and floor plans are of his own house which is on the SE corner of Atkinson and Woodrow Wilson. To me, it's one of the very finest smaller Tudor style houses in Detroit. Unfortunately, the exquisite details such as the pegged beams, variegated brickwork, and stained glass are not visible in this picture. [[The picture is from The American Architect, Jan. 5, 1928.)

If such houses are of interest to you, this one is well worth a drive-by. If you do go to see it, also notice the details [[windows, eaves brackets, overall proportions, etc.) on the two-story craftsman house across Atkinson which, sadly, is now vacant.
    This house is a real jewel and is currently for sale.
    http://www.trulia.com/property/30098...troit-MI-48206
    Last edited by Neilr; December-14-10 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Someone forgot to include the attachment.

I am not sure if this house was ever built since it is just a rendering. It is a design by Bloodgood Tuttle of Meadowbrook Hall fame. Apparently it was designed for a Earnest L. Cole and was to be located in Palmer Woods. Please see the attachment.

Wasn't that a place in Brush Park? Torn down not terribly long ago, burnt out for years? Does that sound familiar to anyone?

I'll have to look back in the old threads...or maybe the beginnings of AIW's Internationalmetropolis....but it looks familiar to me.

Meh....maybe not. Here's what I was thinking about. The Detroit Society for Arts and crafts building.

Attachment 8067

I am not sure if this house was ever built since it is just a rendering. It is a design by Bloodgood Tuttle of Meadowbrook Hall fame. Apparently it was designed for a Earnest L. Cole and was to be located in Palmer Woods. Please see the attachment.
    Bloodgood Tuttle must have had the shiniest acetate collars, the spiffiest spats and gaiters, the most extravagant waxed mustache in his day. That is the kind of house he was preordained to design.

There was just a better sense of time and space back in that era. Some young architects today want to be badasses and be the next Frank Gehry. Seems like we lost sense of what it means to create soemthing truly beautiful. Just today I read an article in the Wash. Post about how architects are building skyscrapers in China designed to last 30 years. Are we doing the same with McMansions?

If that was a photo of a modern house, we'd be looking at the garage. I simply don't understand people's ideas of a beautiful home anymore, I really don't.

I will not move into a house under 40 years old. Period. I think McMansions are ugly, and then a good chunk of contractors just don't care anymore, or take on too many jobs at once and can't/won't invest the time for quality.
    Just poop craftsmanship as far as I can tell.

Huh....ment to write "poor"...but whatever...it fits.

If you want quality, it seems like you have to import craftsmen from Europe where they still get it.

No picture available that I can find. I want the Pagoda House on the Detroit River. I know it is not in Detroit proper but it is on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Funny thing, on the sidebar for suggested properties appeared some pile of shit McMansion in Bloomfield Township for roughly the same price. That thing will probably collapse before it reaches half the age of 1089 Iroquois. I guess it speaks to both our priorities and values as a society and the state of the city.

I already live in my ideal Detroit house, for right now. It is a beautiful pre-war bungalow with built-ins, limestone brickwork, wet plaster arches, fireplace, and original woodworking and tiles. It is modest but it is my slice of heaven. Those large homes are gorgeous but good G-d, how do you maintain 8000 square feet? I like some of the smaller [[relatively speaking!) Tudors etc. in Rosedale, EEV, University. However, I would LOVE riverfront property.

Condos and lofts? Blech, you can keep them. Detroit is a city of homes!
    I noticed that too. I didn't look at additional photos of that Bloomfield Township house, but I know it couldn't match up to the Iroqouis house.

I have always considered the Louis Kamper house on Iroquois to be outstanding.

Attachment 8077

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    5510 Woodward Avenue.
    currently the law offices of Charfoos and Christiannsen. as well as the Danish Consulate in Detroit...
    Christensen

LodgeDodger Guest

betterhalf loves the GAR building. He thinks one of the turrets would make a great barbecue area.

As for me, a couple of places in IV, but this is one of my favorites:

And the Turkel House in Palmer Woods.

id love to own one of the lafayette park townhouses

im a huge mies fan.. close to down town.. still a good little neighbourhood.

I'm glad to see 1089 Iroquois looking so good. A beautiful house, but not my style. I remember seeing it on an IV house tour around '81 or '82. It was really rough at that time. Nice to see it restored.

Here is 1830 Balmoral [[attached)

vandusen is for sale: http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...troit-MI-48203

I like this game... 714 Parker. That Ludowici green tile roof gets me every time. Attachment 12340

One day, I was driving up East Jefferson, when near the Belle Isle Bridge, I came across three brand-new apartment towers. Two were about as tall as the Renaissance Center! It hasn't opened yet, so I asked the contractor of those towers if I could run them. He hasn't told me yet. If I do own the apartments, that dosen't mean the weirdest family to occupy them would include some green-collared gray dog and even more weird, a little white spring-legged suction-cupped creature! At least he showed me three pictures of those apartments. [[I know they are large.)

Name:  macarthur1.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  24.6 KBName:  macarthur2.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  69.2 KBName:  macarthur3.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  45.5 KB
    Last edited by mtburb; March-18-12 at 08:13 PM.

How about 4626 Bedford? Mind the 4:20am hour - oh wait - that Mindbox was removed.

Yep. I'll take ole' slumpy!
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post

I'll take this one! Sorta a communal dream! I'd have the top half, rent out the other two sections. Have a min veggie coop garden in the back. Simply wonderful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    When Col. Hecker left this home in the Cultural Center, perhaps not by choice, he moved further out Woodward to new a home designed by Stanford White of the firm McKim, Mead, and White where he still resides to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    I like this game... 714 Parker. That Ludowici green tile roof gets me every time. Attachment 12340
    Nice choice on 714 Albert Kahn, built in 1909. Unfortunately old slumpy is no longer with us. 700 West Boston Boulevard was open Sunday 3/18/12 I was quite suprised for a 9,600 sq. ft. home the rooms were very small on the first floor. As for favorite its tough but 4235 Avery is probably my most favorite in the city. Designed by Almon Varney and built in 1902.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-19-12 at 01:57 AM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast