Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    400 grand... That staircase would probably set you back that and more to build nowadays. Its a shame they never thought of hanging a suspended ceiling in that boudoir...
    Not to sound too weird but . . . I want. To touch. That railing.

If I remember correctly, 1089 Iroquois suffered a major fire a few years ago. Was it completely repaired/restored?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    If I remember correctly, 1089 Iroquois suffered a major fire a few years ago. Was it completely repaired/restored?
    Haven't heard of a fire. I know it was on sale for $600,000 about three years ago, was sold, and now it's listed again for $399,900.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    Funny thing, on the sidebar for suggested properties appeared some pile of shit McMansion in Bloomfield Township for roughly the same price. That thing will probably collapse before it reaches half the age of 1089 Iroquois. I guess it speaks to both our priorities and values as a society and the state of the city.

I already live in my ideal Detroit house, for right now. It is a beautiful pre-war bungalow with built-ins, limestone brickwork, wet plaster arches, fireplace, and original woodworking and tiles. It is modest but it is my slice of heaven. Those large homes are gorgeous but good G-d, how do you maintain 8000 square feet? I like some of the smaller [[relatively speaking!) Tudors etc. in Rosedale, EEV, University. However, I would LOVE riverfront property.

Condos and lofts? Blech, you can keep them. Detroit is a city of homes!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Funny thing, on the sidebar for suggested properties appeared some pile of shit McMansion in Bloomfield Township for roughly the same price. That thing will probably collapse before it reaches half the age of 1089 Iroquois. I guess it speaks to both our priorities and values as a society and the state of the city.

I already live in my ideal Detroit house, for right now. It is a beautiful pre-war bungalow with built-ins, limestone brickwork, wet plaster arches, fireplace, and original woodworking and tiles. It is modest but it is my slice of heaven. Those large homes are gorgeous but good G-d, how do you maintain 8000 square feet? I like some of the smaller [[relatively speaking!) Tudors etc. in Rosedale, EEV, University. However, I would LOVE riverfront property.

Condos and lofts? Blech, you can keep them. Detroit is a city of homes!
    Great! I'M happy for you and I am happy you are passing your values on to another generation by example. I feel the same about the size of these places in spite of their beauty, they are just of another era. If districts like English Village and similar posh neighborhoods were to use some of their density for other purposes, institutional clusters where their heritage value would be protected, that might be an interesting avenue for universities or think tanks to consider. Likewise with some prime realestate downtown. I think heritage skyscrapers could be a drawing card for international organizations, NGO's or United Nations affiliates. Attracting new folks to Detroit would mean putting the kind of quality environments we know is there to begin with.

I think downtown, midtown, New Center will need to be helped along for small and medium sized business, transit related development needs to happen in the woodward corridor, and the rest will be forthcoming.

but good G-d, how do you maintain 8000 square feet?
    I don't think it is possible to maintain a home that large without having a massive income well into the 6 figures. Heating bills alone will run in the thousands in winter months along with all the wear and tear. You can see similar homes in GP that are well-maintained, but usually these homesd have families. IV and BE seems to have a lot of older couples and single folks living in these massive mansions.

Default I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Eastside, Port Drive was a part of Grayhaven, just not on the island. The only drive on the island was Keelson.

I think my home of choice would be the Fisher Mansion now owned by the Krishna sect. Also part of Grayhaven, but not on the island either.
    I should have said Grayhaven development/neighborhood as Port Dr was not an island, The Fisher Mansion at the foot of Lenox next to the Handicap center was a beautiful home also. Back in the early 80's me and my Buddies used to ice skate in the boat house before it was torn down.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    400 grand... That staircase would probably set you back that and more to build nowadays. Its a shame they never thought of hanging a suspended ceiling in that boudoir...
    That's a really terrific house. If I had the means and it made sense for my family, I'd buy that one in a second.

I have had the pleasure of visiting this home on a few occasions. If I could swing it I would purchase this home in half a heartbeat! The former owners put an amazing amount of $ and energy in restoring the home after a lightning strike fire many many years ago. Actual rounded glass windows carriage house giant bedrooms. Just amazing!

Buy this house!

5510 Woodward Avenue.
    currently the law offices of Charfoos and Christiannsen. as well as the Danish Consulate in Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I have had the pleasure of visiting this home on a few occasions. If I could swing it I would purchase this home in half a heartbeat! The former owners put an amazing amount of $ and energy in restoring the home after a lightning strike fire many many years ago. Actual rounded glass windows carriage house giant bedrooms. Just amazing!

Buy this house!
    It's a beautiful house, but:

-- Taxes are $10K a year.
    -- The house's SEV is about $100,000, which means its market value is $200,000. The asking price is twice that. A buyer will never get his/her money out of it.
    -- Indian Village is an oasis neighborhood; it's surrounded by poverty and crime.
    -- IV has its own security patrol, but they can't be everywhere. And don't count on the Detroit Police... ever! You're on your own.

Been to this house for a couple of parties, love it. I especially like the floating staircase.

Not to sound too weird but . . . I want. To touch. That railing.
    Yeah I know, it's hard to feel anything about the newfangled standard issue bannisters eh?

As a resident of Palmer Woods and someone who lives down the street from the Bishops residence I have to express my outrage over the house. After John Sally owned it, it was bought by Great Faith Ministries for their illustrious leader "Bishop" Wayne T Jackson. First of all for any religious leader to live in luxury is offensive in the extreme, but when a church buys a home for over a million dollars for their leader to live in there is just something wrong going on there. What really irks me about it though is that he does not even live in the place, he and the family live out in west bloomfield and only come to the house on Sundays for brunch or when they are entertaining special guests. So because the largest house in the city is now owned by a church there are no longer any taxes paid on it so the city is losing a big tax bill right there. Beyond the outrageous behavior of such a "man of god", when the owners have been approached by the neighborhood association to see if they would be part of the home tour, or the location for our concert series, or maybe even since the home is so big the location for our annual meetings, they ask for a 2000 dollar fee for using it. These people bought a home that is the center piece of a community and instead of trying to be part of that community they instead try and bilk it out of money just like they have with their foolish followers who keep forking over their hard earned money so their leader can live a life of luxury. I think the city and or state and the feds need to revoke the tax exemption on this house so either these free loaders sell it or the city gets some desperately needed money.

when the owners have been approached by the neighborhood association to see if they would be part of the home tour
    It was part of the holiday home tour in 2006.

I'm cheating here, since this isn't a single-family home, but it could be. Cool looking place in Woodbridge.

http://fromthekage.blogspot.com/2010...n-renewal.html

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    As a resident of Palmer Woods and someone who lives down the street from the Bishops residence I have to express my outrage over the house. After John Sally owned it, it was bought by Great Faith Ministries for their illustrious leader "Bishop" Wayne T Jackson. First of all for any religious leader to live in luxury is offensive in the extreme, but when a church buys a home for over a million dollars for their leader to live in there is just something wrong going on there. What really irks me about it though is that he does not even live in the place, he and the family live out in west bloomfield and only come to the house on Sundays for brunch or when they are entertaining special guests. So because the largest house in the city is now owned by a church there are no longer any taxes paid on it so the city is losing a big tax bill right there. Beyond the outrageous behavior of such a "man of god", when the owners have been approached by the neighborhood association to see if they would be part of the home tour, or the location for our concert series, or maybe even since the home is so big the location for our annual meetings, they ask for a 2000 dollar fee for using it. These people bought a home that is the center piece of a community and instead of trying to be part of that community they instead try and bilk it out of money just like they have with their foolish followers who keep forking over their hard earned money so their leader can live a life of luxury. I think the city and or state and the feds need to revoke the tax exemption on this house so either these free loaders sell it or the city gets some desperately needed money.
    Sounds more like a cult than a church

Does anybody have dibs on the Scott Mansion? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Does anybody have dibs on the Scott Mansion? XD
    You can have it. It's, uh... a "fixer-upper".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    You can have it. It's, uh... a "fixer-upper".
    Plenty of natural light, in this open, airy design. Lots of greenery lends a rustic feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Plenty of natural light, in this open, airy design. Lots of greenery lends a rustic feel.
    Newer fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Newer fence.
    Quiet neighborhood.

Maybe a dead body or two. Joel Landy owns it, he owns alot of property in the Corridor. Fixed up quite a few, too. Scott might be beyond fixing, though.

Stromberg2

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast