Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Seems like the thread rules evolved so I will add my grandmothers old house on Port Dr on Greyhaven Island. Built in 1924 the home was in the Family for over 50 years until imminent domain gave em the boot. The house had a priviate brewery in the walkout basement next to the boat well [[the Family owned and operated Koerber beer 1912-1956). The flag pole on the river side of the house served as the vent for the brewing process. Pweabic tiled fountian, Itialian marble fireplace surround, parque dance floor etc. This picture was taken from the Garwood property.
    I love reading about this kind of Detroit history; imminent domain be damned

detroitjim Guest

Dibs on this one!!

Attachment 8013

Attachment 8014
    Last edited by detroitjim; December-11-10 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I found this cute little abode on a pleasant sidestreet in Detroit. I tried talking the owner into selling it for the bricks, he wasnt interested. There seems to be a buzz about rehabbing old buildings, maybe even using them as is, in Detroit he said. I told him I might have a lot downtown where I could move it to. Still not interested. OK I said, a capital fund in Chicago are looking for a coup to offset the decline in interest for skyscraping in the US vis-à-vis the emerging countries, they would consider a hefty sum for your house. They want to vacuum the noise around this indian billionaire who built himself a 27 story house for a billion. Still, Mr Penobscot the owner said no. He told me the house had been in the family since it was built and he would only consider parting with it if...
    I'm sorry for my ignorance but is that photoshopped? Or is this someplace in Detroit I've never seen

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    I'm sorry for my ignorance but is that photoshopped? Or is this someplace in Detroit I've never seen
    Are you serious?

hint: Cathedral of Finance

That is actually real. You aren't aware that Detroit has two Guardian buildings? Everybody knows that. Everybody.

mcsdetroitfriend... you need to quit traveling the world and stay in town more!!

Gotta love Photoshop.....

Indeed... LOL! Amazing what a bit of Pshop can doooooo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Are you serious?

LOL!------Why there's another Ponobscot building on my block...
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    That is actually real. You aren't aware that Detroit has two Guardian buildings? Everybody knows that. Everybody.

1023 Iroquois, 1015 Seminole, 5510 Woodward, 4421 Woodward, 530 Parkview, 547-549 E. Jefferson, 450 Keelson.
    Last edited by Fury13; December-12-10 at 08:22 AM.

Eastside, Port Drive was a part of Grayhaven, just not on the island. The only drive on the island was Keelson.

I think my home of choice would be the Fisher Mansion now owned by the Krishna sect. Also part of Grayhaven, but not on the island either.

I was looking at 1023 Iroquois and checked out the corner of Iroquois and Lafayette. That tree needs a haircut don't it? I wouldnt want to be the house on the left in an ice storm...Otherwise yeah, I love those old homes, what a great looking set of streets. Beats anything that will ever be built in a burb of Vegas right?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Eastside, Port Drive was a part of Grayhaven, just not on the island. The only drive on the island was Keelson.

I think my home of choice would be the Fisher Mansion now owned by the Krishna sect. Also part of Grayhaven, but not on the island either.
    Besides the Gar Wood estate, there were a number of large homes including the Alfred or William Fisher mansion at the very end with the huge boathouse into the Detroit Rive. That would have been ideal.

1830 Balmoral
    According to the Palmer Woods website:
    This 10,395-square-foot manor was built by the Harvey-Ellis architectural firm for S.S. Kresge President Charles Van Dusen and his wife in 1922. The home sits on a triangular lot where Balmoral, Wellesley and Lowell Drives intersect. The four-car garage, with its two-bedroom chauffeur’s apartment above, sits on a separate lot behind the house. A brick-paved drive runs through the back of the house between Lowell and Balmoral. As such, most guests would enter from the rear grand entrance.
    http://www.palmerwoods.org/home-tour...-preview-party

I was always under the impression that Richard Marr built this home. Anyhow, it is amazing and was in much worse shape not long ago. The Romney home was situated right next door.

Here is 1830 Balmoral [[attached)

littlebuddy Guest

Did they film the movie "The Temptations" in Detroit? Seems like some nice homes and blocks. Detroit has been slandered for so long that you do not think that there are nice homes and areas in the city.

The Lawrence Fisher Mansion at 383 Lenox with me walking around in my PJs like Hugh Hefner and a bunch of bikini clad hotties.

www.detroitiskconlive.com/Fisher+Mansion+on+ppt.ppt

226 California, It was my great grandfathers home
    and its for sale.. even though i dont know what i would do with it, maybe renovate it and live there maybe rent it out. Dont know but I like the idea of owning it.
    http://tinyurl.com/2frxy2c

The Temptations was filmed in Pittsburgh.

I would buy the house where I grew up in Old Redford.

I wish I could say Heidelberg, where my grandfather grew up, but it has since been torn down.

Want to add a home in Winsor's historic Walkerville. A corner townhouse. The house and updates are just too fabulous to describe

My favorite is the Hecker Mansion, Woodward and E. Ferry.

Could you be more specific sumas? I'd love to know which home, Walkerville is my favorite part of this city.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    400 grand... That staircase would probably set you back that and more to build nowadays. Its a shame they never thought of hanging a suspended ceiling in that boudoir...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast