Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Whatever Happened to..........?

Whatever happened to the Freep columnist who drew her name on the pedestrian bridge in SW Detroit?

Whatever happened to the Bohemian House?

I don't follow what people are talking about, but bo ho is still there. I think they got rid of some talented booking agent or something, but it is still going [[at least as of a couple months ago), and some good bands still playing there

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Whatever happened to the Freep columnist who drew her name on the pedestrian bridge in SW Detroit?
    Something like this....http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6560479/

Okay, I don't really care what age people are, but I went there years ago, and was also there a few months ago. Didn't seem THAT different. Didn't see any illegal drugs.

Why don't you fill me in on this history?

Your not the first person I have heard express anger about the direction of the place. I even know some people who boycott it. I thought it had something to do with them firing a good booking agent or something. Fill me in please! Thanks!

PS: great digital DJ there about 3.5 months or so ago

NOTE: this post no longer makes much sense, because the post before it vanished.
    Last edited by hogz; December-11-10 at 01:39 AM.

This from Crains gets us to the end of July in the story.....

Freep's O Street Blog quietly ended by author in wake of graffiti incident, and other media tidbits [[UPDATED)
    Posted 7/21/2010 9:36 AM EDT on crainsdetroit.com
    Oneita Jackson's O Street Blog in the Free Press was quietly retired in May -- at her request, Editorial Page Editor Stephen Henderson tells me.

Jackson, as you'll recall, was caught on camera defacing the new $5 million Mexicantown Bagley Avenue Pedestrian Bridge in early May by signing her name with a marker on a bench. The video, taken by an MDOT employee during the celebration of the span's opening, made its way online and a parody cartoon video soon followed.

Jackson, who quickly owned up to her mistake, was taken off the blog and her accompanying print column that she'd done for about a year. The punishment was to mothball everything until the end of May, during which time she'd return to her old job as editorial page copy editor.

At some point during May, she decided she didn't want to go back to blogging/columnist-ing.

"Oneita decided to take on another assignment at the paper, one that doesn't include her O Street Blog or the weekly column in the paper," Henderson said to me via e-mail. "As I said, this was her choice, not mine or anyone else's in management. She has been working in her new job since late May."

UPDATE: Jackson replied this evening to my earlier e-mail request for comment, saying, "There is more to the story" but declined to elaborate.

Also, she is credited with the photo of a Freep Staff Writer in mid-September

http://techtownwsu.org/first-friday-october-1/
    Last edited by rooms222; December-13-10 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks rooms222.

Quote Originally Posted by hogz View Post
    Okay, I don't really care what age people are, but I went there years ago, and was also there a few months ago. Didn't seem THAT different. Didn't see any illegal drugs.

Why don't you fill me in on this history?

Your not the first person I have heard express anger about the direction of the place. I even know some people who boycott it. I thought it had something to do with them firing a good booking agent or something. Fill me in please! Thanks!

PS: great digital DJ there about 3.5 months or so ago

NOTE: this post no longer makes much sense, because the post before it vanished.
    Why did the Lonegunman [[X-Files spin-off) pilot episode depict R.C. airplanes flying into the World Trade Center four months before it actually happened?

Why are you bringing up zombie threads from over 4 years ago to make non-sequitur posts?

oneita jackson is now driving a cab. here's a story about her: http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...e-Magnificent/

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Why did the Lonegunman [[X-Files spin-off) pilot episode depict R.C. airplanes flying into the World Trade Center four months before it actually happened?
    I'm sorry. Please site the article I breached that states at which point a thread [[which should've been closed by the forum moderators if that be the case) can no longer be touched. Folks didn't seem to mind when I rehashed "Your Old High School" or "First Job".

Besides, it wasn't a non-sequitur. It provides the analog to hogz's concern, as to why eno mentions in "passing" what became of the bo ho [[as if it had, at the time, already become a "boo hoo" or bygone). Bo ho did close, and I knew a bit about the place before it was really picking up in the mid-last decade. I remember artist Graem Whyte living there and a lot more.

I would hope-down the line-that should anyone find any of my antiquated threads from "way back in the day" [[uh-what's that to you? four months ago?-glad I gave up coffee and other stimulants), that they'd have some interesting input to add or attache to it, even if it seems dated and anachronistic. The winter is a bad time to start getting over-critical now.

G-DDT:
    Do not know if this is the right time to reply or not. John Peterson closed the Bohemian House and is now operating, with his partner, Trinosophe, on Gratiot just east of Russell, as coffeehouse/restaurant, art gallery and performance center.

Hope this not redundant and sleepy stupid.

Is the whole place shut down? The living quarters too?

'Zombie Threads'! That's an image......

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Why are you bringing up zombie threads from over 4 years ago to make non-sequitur posts?

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    G-DDT:
    Do not know if this is the right time to reply or not. John Peterson closed the Bohemian House and is now operating, with his partner, Trinosophe, on Gratiot just east of Russell, as coffeehouse/restaurant, art gallery and performance center.
    Yeah, Joel runs that coffeehouse I can't pronounce. He was probably the one bringing in good acts [[along with a CAID partner who does awesome video footage). I doubt it's completely "shut down", it's just in a state of carbonite freezing---topor and all that. I don't blame folks living there for just wanting to keep things low-key and withdrawn for a while. Amazing space, though. Lots of nooks and crannies [[like the theater on the Eastside had-oddly enough, two brothers-each managing either the theater or the Boho-were running some gigs during the late '90s).

Zombie threads?-aren't those the fibers Creole High Priestesses use to make the burial shrouds that keep the dead from rising. Just musing....

I don't know who I was dealing with there. I wanted to do our 1st. Garwood Party there. Whoever I was dealing with was really receptive and wanted to work with me. I think some of the people I was dealing with thought it was a bit sketchy. I thought it was the perfect venue. John Collier could have shown his photography in the gallery, bands could have performed in several spaces, and the terms were great. I really feel that it was a missed opportunity.

Tough neighborhood, but Conners and Avondale was no pic-nic in 1970 either.

It would have been a great space for that first Garwood party. Another Garwood party is coming up in September, but they are talking about Ferndale or Ann Arbor.