Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Is Hamtramk generally safer than Detroit?

Greetings and best wishes to you all.

I know there are prolly as many opinions as there are people here, but what do _YOU_ think and why?

Augustiner Guest

What is this "Hamtramk" of which you speak?

what is the size of the Hamtramck police force?

Ok. Please excuse my bad humor. I couldnt help it. I had to do something with the last two posts, and the couple of Beck's beer I just had.

What is the size of this Hamtramck, of which you speak?

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Ok. Please excuse my bad humor. I couldnt help it. I had to do something with the last two posts, and the couple of Beck's beer I just had.

What is the size of this Hamtramck, of which you speak?
    About the size of a large kielbasa viewed through an upturned Okocim bottle.

After having consumed said Okacim bottle. That stuff's like 6.6 ABV isn't it? And the bottle is bigger than normal.

2.2 square miles, about 23-25K people. May be higher with the last census. Interested to find out myself. Police response is usually 2-5 minutes for me. I live 100 ft. south of Zombieville, as there are very few houses north of me on the Detroit side. There is a notable police presence, at least when I'm walkin' the hound.

Augustiner,

I'd stuff myself on Bigos or a nice plate of Flaki [[tripe) just about now with some Okocim [[unknown to me). I'm gonna try to find some soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bahbay View Post
    Greetings and best wishes to you all.

I know there are prolly as many opinions as there are people here, but what do _YOU_ think and why?
    I obviously need help - with spelling and lots of other things.

I was reading about a painter from there by the name of Dennis Orlowski. His work is online and also, it seems like there is an interesting mix of folks there.

Hamtramck is shabbier and dirtier than it used to be, and crime is higher than it used to be. It was once mostly Polish/Slavic but is now quite diverse. All that said, it's still pretty cool and interesting. There's a sizable artist/musician community there. Oh yeah, it's much safer than most of Detroit proper.

Some statistics:

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....ramck&state=MI

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....troit&state=MI

Yes, Detroit is more dangerous, with a markedly higher murder rate, but in other areas [[not robbery) it's not a drastic difference.

The good news: Hamtramck has more police officers per captia and square mile than Detroit.

The bad news: They're too busy writing tickets to worry about your safety.

Is Hamtramk generally safer than Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by bahbay View Post
    I obviously need help - with spelling and lots of other things.

I was reading about a painter from there by the name of Dennis Orlowski. His work is online and also, it seems like there is an interesting mix of folks there.
    Answer to your question, yes. Having grown up in Detroit, and moved to Hamtramck, yes, Hamtown is much safer than the D proper.

With that said, if your interested in seeing an Orlowski painting, I would suggest you visit St. Hyachine's Parrish on McDougall, as it has a grand mural painted by said artist, showcasing the three old Polish Catholic Churches of Poletown.

Orlowski was one of DPS's all time great art teachers! He would take kids out into the community and create murals. He also did all of the murals that graced the halls of Cooley High. It was a pleasure working with him and the kids sure missed him when he left [[art programs were cut drastically). He did murals in Northland Mall, also.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Orlowski was one of DPS's all time great art teachers! He would take kids out into the community and create murals. He also did all of the murals that graced the halls of Cooley High. It was a pleasure working with him and the kids sure missed him when he left [[art programs were cut drastically). He did murals in Northland Mall, also.
    DT, thanks for this update.
    These last couple posts use the past tense in referring to Orlowski.
    Has he gone away?

He's still around, someplace. I use the past tense because he no longer works for DPS [[he retired). Here's a link to his website http://orlowskimurals.com/. Please click on the link "former student". It is a perfect example of how much Dennis inspired his kids. I do wish some of the murals he created inside the halls of Cooley High were included in his website. They were spectacular!!
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; December-12-10 at 11:16 AM.

He's retired, still living in Hamtramck, where he's an active member of our Historical Commission.