Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default This is not normal

But I did find it entertaining, as I was gassing up at the gas station on the cornor of Alter rd and Jefferson [[ I pumped my first gallon of gas there 30+ years ago) this sign was affixed to all the pumps, I just couldn't resist taking a snapshot of it to show my office buddies back on the eastcoast that besides the flu there is a purse snatching going around. sad sad sad

You're right! This is some of the worst English composition ever!

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    But I did find it entertaining, as I was gassing up at the gas station on the cornor of Alter rd and Jefferson [[ I pumped my first gallon of gas there 30+ years ago) this sign was affixed to all the pumps, I just couldn't resist taking a snapshot of it to show my office buddies back on the eastcoast that besides the flu there is a purse snatching going around. sad sad sad
    Uh, what? I hear about 5 announcements per day telling me to watch out for pickpockets and purse snatchers on my commute to work... on the "eastcoast".

In New York, they'd have springtime ads reminding straphangers, "It's chain-snatching season."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10352383@N00/4724592949/

Saw that sign at a gas station on Jefferson near GPP.

Of course, by making people read the sign, they will be at least temporarily distracted from their surroundings and potentially MORE vulnerable.

Maybe a more generic, Keep Your EYES Open and report any suspicious behavior to the attendant. Plus, there should be emergency alert buttons at the pumps...for many reasons.

They can alert the attendant who can then stop it if its a false alarm...or let it automatically ring out for police or fire...

lilpup Guest

That sign is because women typically just leave their purses in the car while pumping or paying for their gasoline but even men get stuff stolen from their cars while not watching. Years ago early on a Sunday morning we had one customer lose his GPS unit from the car while he was inside getting a newspaper and coffee.

Default You think that is bad!?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You're right! This is some of the worst English composition ever!
    Check this sign out from the Wal-mart in Traverse City.

The author of that sign is just aware of recent research into social contagions.

Hearty chuckle...

Default earth man

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Uh, what? I hear about 5 announcements per day telling me to watch out for pickpockets and purse snatchers on my commute to work... on the "eastcoast".
    You made my point exactly, this is the norm in the "D". I also love the fact that all have responed with such indifference, and you are correct nothing to see here folks move along move along. Merry Christmas!

You made my point exactly, this is the norm in the "D". I also love the fact that all have responed with such indifference, and you are correct nothing to see here folks move along move along. Merry Christmas!
    And signs like these are pretty much the norm in every major city where the inhabitants have a pulse. In London it's even common to have signs displayed in bars alerting customers of "bag snatchers". This sign really isn't that extraordinary to most people who live outside of Maybury.

Ah, yes. The dreaded purse snatching. Highly contagious.

DetroitDad Guest

"This is not normal"

I love it!

I wanted to shout those words in my elevator the other night. The elevator has a "trick to it", you have to know to push on the door a certain way, in order for the sensors to line up properly. That isn't normal even in our humble city.

Default Shucks

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    And signs like these are pretty much the norm in every major city where the inhabitants have a pulse. In London it's even common to have signs displayed in bars alerting customers of "bag snatchers". This sign really isn't that extraordinary to most people who live outside of Maybury.
    How'd you know I lived in Maybury But I did have a great visit back home for the T-day holiday. My old neighborhood of Jeff Chalmers is surprisingly the same. It's a bummer to see the attrition of homes on the east side but its the cycle of life. All things decay at some point.

So, where does taters be?

How'd you know I lived in Maybury But I did have a great visit back home for the T-day holiday. My old neighborhood of Jeff Chalmers is surprisingly the same. It's a bummer to see the attrition of homes on the east side but its the cycle of life. All things decay at some point.
    LOL, so it IS the sign at that Mobil station on Jefferson.

Lucky you didn't get car-jacked, although our detective friend in the GPPP says the station at Mack and Chalmers is worse.

The sign is discriminatory. What about men with their man purses? Someone call the ACLU.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Isn't Toma Toes Wal-Mart's in-store podiatry center?

Downriviera, I think it's called a "man bag."

I remember stopping at a plaza on the Ohio Turnpike about ten years ago. Walking up to the building we passed a car with its alarm going off. Two women [[okay, I don't want to stereotype, but they were dressed old-school country) ahead of us stopped and stared at the car. One looked at the other and said, "Well, what is THAT?"

"It's a satchel... Indiana Jones has one."

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    That sign is because women typically just leave their purses in the car while pumping or paying for their gasoline but even men get stuff stolen from their cars while not watching. Years ago early on a Sunday morning we had one customer lose his GPS unit from the car while he was inside getting a newspaper and coffee.
    This is going to sound stupid, but don't people lock their car doors while pumping gasoline? I always do. While this might be slightly OT, are there any stations anywhere in metro Detroit where you can still get full service gasoline?

For a bump of a tip, the station at Linwood and Boston has a fellow who will pump your gas.

He is at least sanctioned by the station, and also performs constant clean-up...so he MAY be an employee. They have another fellow inside who seems to be a bouncer, and now actually chats me up since I spend so much time in there with Buddy Smith...who knows the whole neighborhood.

I know there are a few full-service stations...I have to jog my noggin a bit here.

Found this on my way to searching on-line:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...candidate.html

I don't think he got elected.

Haha. I want full-service, as long as the pumper looks like Tiny Lister.

This conversation just threw me back to old Laviolette's Mobil on Warren just west of Wyoming...1978-9. We were hustling pump jockeys...one day my boss Glenn came out and told us he kept getting calls from gasoline customers thanking him for the great service. He said he never had a team get that sort of response, and elevated me to assistant manager on the weekends...before I got my driver's license!

I repaid the favor by borrowing the license plate off the front of the service truck on the weekends so I could dash about town in the VW Beetle I 'made' from parts scavenged off of THREE dead ones I bought. Drove some of my friends to Drivers Ed in that car...and since I was the youngest guy in my grade, everyone knew what I was doing.

Oh, they good ol' days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast