Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rick Synder speaking at WSU today

For all you DYers out there:

Rick Snyder is going to be speaking at Wayne State today from 1-2 in the community arts auditorium, its open to the public.

Interestingly enough, its being sponsored by the school of business administration and not any of the government/political science oriented departments. A sign for how he's going to run our state?

We'll see how the nerd does in the D....

Is he there to Privatize WSU or something ? Fire some union workers ? Make fun of people on unemployment ?

I cant wait !

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Is he there to Privatize WSU or something ? Fire some union workers ? Make fun of people on unemployment ?

I cant wait !
    Rick Snyder has never said anything of the sort. That's just what you have been conditioned to believe.

Well I hope someone grilled the hell out of him for blindly supporting Maroun and helping derail the State backed bridge.

http://michiganmessenger.com/37930/environment-takes-back-seat-in-governor%E2%80%99s-race\

And I hope someone asked him why he's sidling up to Rio Tinto guys.

http://michiganmessenger.com/44068/e...snyder-cabinet

That mining company has a horrendous track record, starting with the Nazis and Franco in the 30's, and covering questionable mining practices on at least 4 continents.
    http://londonminingnetwork.org/2010/...und-the-globe/

I would have been there, but I had work...
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; December-09-10 at 02:21 PM.

I cant wait !
    Apparently some among us [[bloggers even!) aren't aware that one of Snyder's stated priorites is helping Michigan's ailing cities.... and he's stated that the state cannot be healthy if all of its' cities aren't healthy....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-09-10 at 02:43 PM.

Wait til some WSU college kid liberal stand up and starts to yell and cuss at that nerd. He will be put out of the public forum in no time and a social backlash will likely to happen.
    Last edited by Danny; December-09-10 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Wait til some WSU college kid liberal stand up and starts to yell and cuss at that nerd. He will be put out of the public forum in no time and a social backlash will likely to happen.
    What world do you live in that you think that's likely?

Anyway I was looking forward to seeing BAMN bombard him with questions as they have in the past with Bobb and others to my great amusement, but unfortunately there was no question and answers period. I think this is going to be an ongoing theme of the Snyder administration. No debate, no questions, just a ten point plan and nerd jokes. Quit being so negative you critics.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    What world do you live in that you think that's likely?

Anyway I was looking forward to seeing BAMN bombard him with questions as they have in the past with Bobb and others to my great amusement, but unfortunately there was no question and answers period. I think this is going to be an ongoing theme of the Snyder administration. No debate, no questions, just a ten point plan and nerd jokes. Quit being so negative you critics.
    Unfortunate, because it will allow him to renew Engler's policies while sprucing them up with lots of positive talk about Detroit rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    Unfortunate, because it will allow him to renew Engler's policies while sprucing them up with lots of positive talk about Detroit rebounding.
    You're right on, j.

Snyder should want to hear about funding for an idea first. Budgets are priority statements and what's funded is what's deemed important. Things don't happen without resources/money. How can you predict an outcome if you don't know what resources you'll have to work with, Gov. Snyder? Sounds like pie-in-the-sky pandering to right-wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by lafayette View Post
    You're right on, j.

Snyder should want to hear about funding for an idea first. Budgets are priority statements and what's funded is what's deemed important. Things don't happen without resources/money. How can you predict an outcome if you don't know what resources you'll have to work with, Gov. Snyder? Sounds like pie-in-the-sky pandering to right-wingers.
    Rather than discussing the unknown... I think that we should give this NON-politician a chance and see what he'll do for metro-Detroit... And when it comes to whining about Engler.... you can add Blanchard and Granholm to the mix as well....

I was at the talk today too, and it was amazing how devoid of substance it was. The guy speaks totally in platitudes. [[Actually that's not that amazing, since the campaign was no different). He says he only wants to talk about "measurable," "quantifiable" priorities as governor, but never speaks in concrete terms about anything--it's all "changing the culture of Lansing," accountant/nerd jokes, pandering to Michigan pride, and other generalities. And no Q&A, for which I say shame on Wayne State.

Its easy to talk about measuring things when you don't have to talk about what unit of measurement you will use. Gee Rick, I'll give you 12 of these and you give me 9 of them. Who cares how we measure it! Governing is fun!

It beats me how this guy won. I should have kept a tally of incomplete sentences. When you think about all the budget cuts that are bound to come, and the embarrassment it would have caused, its pretty clear why Wayne State didn't do a Q&A.

Let's hope the Nerd in Chief [[or Nerdernator) sticks to his pocket-protector guns and listens to the measurements on economic development: business incubators, free fast wi-fi, and transit. And when it inevitably comes to those taxes Mr. Snyder, start with yourself.
    Last edited by socks_mahoney; December-09-10 at 05:21 PM.

Has Snyder taken a position on the constantly rising costs of higher education? For public colleges/universities, why have all these unjustified tuition hikes every year?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Has Snyder taken a position on the constantly rising costs of higher education? For public colleges/universities, why have all these unjustified tuition hikes every year?
    He said they need to be more efficient. Whatever that means.

The Detroit NPR story didn't make him sound impressive. He's got lots of great ideas but he won't tell you them before January 1! Whatever Nerdboy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    Rick Snyder has never said anything of the sort. That's just what you have been conditioned to believe.
    Nope - thats what youve been conditioned to say. Look at the mans history and ignore the crap that falls out of his mouth.

Nope - thats what youve been conditioned to say. Look at the mans history and ignore the crap that falls out of his mouth.
    Three degrees. Head of M&A at a professional services firm. VP and interim CEO at Gateway. Founded a couple of VC companies. Yeah who would think this guy could fix the state's economy?

"Yeah who would think this guy could fix the state's economy?"

Do you think the guy's a dictator? The decisions made in the boards rooms of the auto companies have more of an impact on the economy of the state than anything Rick Snyder's going to do. For all the blathering we get from conservatives about the primacy of the free market and that government "never created a job", these same people go on as if every decision made in Lansing makes or breaks the state's economy. But the reality is that most of the factors that drive whether Michigan succeeds or not have little or no connection to what happens in Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Three degrees. Head of M&A at a professional services firm. VP and interim CEO at Gateway. Founded a couple of VC companies. Yeah who would think this guy could fix the state's economy?
    U of M BA in Accounting plus a UM MBA and a UM Law degree by the time he was 23 years old. Not too shabby.

Made Partner at Coopers & Lybrand in 6 years, normal partner track is 12 years. Successful exec and entrepreneur. I'll give him a shot at getting something done.

Partner in 6 years isn't even possible now. And partner track is well over 12 years - at least if you're coming in as a staff. Quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    He said they need to be more efficient. Whatever that means.
    They need to produce more graduates for less money. You know, like producing any other kind of widget. More computerized classes, I guess.

...the reality is that most of the factors that drive whether Michigan succeeds or not have little or no connection to what happens in Lansing.
    However, the Republican line has always been that too many regulations and too much unionized labor and too many environmental laws keep businesses away from Michigan.
    No Q & A? Sounds like Rick thinks he's still presiding over a boardroom instead of part of a government.
    Last edited by maxx; December-10-10 at 08:32 PM.