Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Spirit to wear Wing's Jersey

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009...ion_nixes.html

It looks as though the new "fee" for donning a jersey on the refinished Spirit of Detroit will be waived for the Wings if they make it further in the playoffs

From what I had read, both the NCAA and MSU had inquired about putting a Spartan jersey on the statue only to find out about that fee. Seems a bit unfair to me...but hey the spartans aren't from "detroit"

I can't believe the greed. Who is the genius who started these fees in the first place? I could see Mon the Con wanting the money, since most of the Red Wings don't live in the city and they don't look like her.

Let's show some hometown pride people. I'm glad they rescinded that ridicules fee.

Too bad they weren't all that bothered about it with the Spartans were playing for a National Championship down the street.

Sorry, can't blame the City Council for that one. The Detroit/Wayne Joint Building Authority owns and manages that building and makes the decisions about what happens to that statue.

MIRepublic Guest

I was just about to say the same thing, Locke. The building is owned by a joint city and county authority, though, why bother with facts when you're dealing with the easiest of targets? This has nothing to do with MSU being out-of-town; a fee was charged to anyone that wanted dress the statue.

The joint authority is actually one of the better city-county partnerships that the region has. I was surprised to find out about the fee, and surprised to hear both the size and how recently it was started.

Kudos to the county commission to bringing this to attention. Hopefully, the the joint authority will have a change of heart given that this has been given attention, now.

I read an article yesterday taht said everytime they dress the spirit he requires $5000 in restoration afterwards.

Im guessing that the material of the jersey is made from is either glass and wool, or he [[the spirit) is really made of balsa wood, sheesh

How much to put a hockey glove on the big fist?

with or without the after glove restoration? how bout we just paint the ren cen to look like a stack of pucks? or does it.....

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I read an article yesterday taht said everytime they dress the spirit he requires $5000 in restoration afterwards.
    apparently Bobby Furgeson is in the statue restoration business...