Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aretha Franklin has cancer

Oh no!
    We're all pulling&praying for you Aretha!

Amen to that! If Steve Jobs can beat it, hopefully she can as well.

The Freep is saying that Fox 2's source is the National Enquirer! Isn't this the same paper that brings you stories about Giant Babies?

Inquirer has gotten a lot of scoops lately. The John Edwards fiasco comes to mind.
    I believe Patrick Swayze had the same kind of cancer Aretha has so she probably won't be around that much longer. Swayze was in much better shape than she is.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    Amen to that! If Steve Jobs can beat it, hopefully she can as well.
    Steve Jobs had a neuroendocrine tumor which has a much better prognosis than adenocarcinoma which is what Patrick Swayze had and Aretha most likely has. Unfortunately it only has a 5% survival at 5-years even with surgery. I do wish her the best.

I always liked her tribute to Cadillac. Seriously I wish her the best, she is the top of the crop!

Ravine Guest

Many of us have taken a few minutes to poke fun at Aretha Franklin over her girth and her awkward dress habits, as well as a variety of personal issues within her family and business-related matters.

But, in a city which has literally gushed forth so many great, great musicians [[don't even get me started on the teeming flock of jazz musicians,) Aretha Franklin is one of the true Giants.

So, as so many of us have taken the time to snicker about one thing or another, let's all take a moment to send up [[or sideways, for those who are not quite sure about all of that God, Heaven, afterlife stuff) some Good Vibes in support of one of the greatest singers-- and musicians, because you can't be the one without being the other-- to arise from the U.S. in the 20th century.

If you have ever heard Aretha Franklin sing [[live, not on record) you understand just how amazing her gift is. She is also a virtuoso pianist. It's been my good fortune to hear both. Good luck, sister Ree. I lost a friend last week to this very same cancer, I hope your luck is better.

My prayers to the Queen of Soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Many of us have taken a few minutes to poke fun at Aretha Franklin over her girth and her awkward dress habits, as well as a variety of personal issues within her family and business-related matters.

But, in a city which has literally gushed forth so many great, great musicians [[don't even get me started on the teeming flock of jazz musicians,) Aretha Franklin is one of the true Giants.

So, as so many of us have taken the time to snicker about one thing or another, let's all take a moment to send up [[or sideways, for those who are not quite sure about all of that God, Heaven, afterlife stuff) some Good Vibes in support of one of the greatest singers-- and musicians, because you can't be the one without being the other-- to arise from the U.S. in the 20th century.
    I also would hope that all comments and wishes for Aretha would be sincere, tasteful, and positive.

Ravine Guest

Right. It's one thing to kick someone when they are up, or even level. Right now, I think we can say that she is down [[although I am pleased to hear that her spirits are good,) so let's hope that she gets out of this OK.
    I heard someone say that she can sing opera-style, too; I thought, what the hell, that's not surprising, at all...

Yes, and doesnt she also have a house in the Pointes somewhere? Someone who has not forsaken her Detroit roots so to speak. I hope she gets better soon.

My favorite Aretha is this rendition of the Tommy Dorsey gospel great "Precious Lord Take My Hand" sung by the then 14 year old Aretha at the side of her father and civil rights activist Rev. CL Franklin in 1956. You can hear how she could move already an audience with her blossoming powerful and youthful voice. Let's hope she is holding that hand today. Get well Aretha!

I lost my Mom to Pancreatic cancer this year. This is the cruelest of diseases, and what I witnessed I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. The best thing Aretha has going for her at this time is her weight. I wish her and her family the best.

That song Lowell posted of her singing at 14 is incredible.

I lost my mother to cancer this summer at 88... She was such a brave soul who survived 5 cancers in 11 years... only to finally not be able to overcome cancer of the small intestines. She opted for surgery... knowing that she would not survive it and her ordeal would be over....

And she never really left Detroit like a lot of others did in the past.

More than that, she moved back to Detroit from LA after her father was nearly killed in a home invasion, to take care of him. When he died she stayed......

I hope she is without pain the rest of her time with us.

There was a time when Aretha opened her mouth and a one-of-a-kind voice rang out. A voice that grabbed you, made you smile, made you weep both tears of joy and tears of pain. Truly beautiful.

I do not know all that she has been through in her life. I have heard tales that are unflattering and have no reason to doubt them. I wish she had taken better care of others and of herself.

I for one am damn glad that I can open up my ears and hear the voice of Aretha Franklin.

Ravine Guest

[quote=jtf1972;205418]I hope she is without pain the rest of her time with us.

There was a time when Aretha opened her mouth and a one-of-a-kind voice rang out. A voice that grabbed you, made you smile, made you weep both tears of joy and tears of pain. Truly beautiful.

I do not know all that she has been through in her life. I have heard tales that are unflattering and have no reason to doubt them. I wish she had taken better care of others and of herself.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    So many artists have a variety of odd quirks, and some of them-- jazz saxophonist Charlie Parker, for example-- are found to be personally difficult to tolerate, even obnoxious.
    So, I try to remember to see/hear/"judge" artists only by their art. I wouldn't want all of my stuff to be open for public criticism, either, now that I mention it.
    But the singing voice, oh man, the singing voice. That's all we really need to know about Aretha Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post

I concur, very well said. She is a National Treasure and is to be respected in this difficult time.

Areatha is a prime example of showwomanship. I disagree about the comment on her moaning. The moaning was part of that Baptist singing style back then. It was and is part of her style also. RESPECT was the national athem of women all over the world. She was too strong of woman to sing for Motown for Gordy wanted female singers to sing songs he had felt that would cross over.The "I miss you, you got me in a heatwave, where did our love go, pleading style was what Gordy wanted. Respect had outsold any of Motowns femaile songs in that year and the next. My prayers goes out to Areatha for a speedy recovery. I pray that God will comfort her during this journey through illness.

We all have our faults. Aretha is in her hour of need. I have some knowledge of her lifestyle, a little anyway. My niece worked for a service that cleaned her house. There were a few stories I used to tell, I am sad I gossiped about her. Would not want anyone to say those things about me. Aretha could sure sing a song like no one else. She has a gift. I noticed her voice was not up to par during Obama's big party. Now I know why. So Aretha, I am praying for your health , hoping you do get better. The odds are not good. I am a believer though in God working miracles. It is a pleasure listening to those old records.

Would be nice if she could muster up the strength to do a mini-benefit tour to raise money for Cancer awareness, treatment and hospice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast