Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Despite budget troubles it seems like good stuff is still happening in Hamtramck

Another cool new business opens......... The Hoard House is an antique and vintage shop.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/h...use120710.aspx

John is a good guy, as well as an asset to the community. I hope he succeeds in this latest venture.

His name ain't John... sigh ...

Okay, Andy, Jeff and how many others? Regardless, best to the Hoard House.

One of the best things I see happening in Hamtown is the influx of educated, young Americans coming from other states to buy homes and work in Hamtown. If they stay involved and living in the community [[children always throw a wild card into these situations), Hamtown will have a good future.

His name IS John, Detroitnerd. John "Andrew" Dow.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Haussmann View Post
    His name IS John, Detroitnerd. John "Andrew" Dow.
    Find me anybody in Hamtramck who calls Andy Dow "John" and I'll buy you a case of paczki.

Kelli K, the writer, who lived in Hamtramck a long time. Where do I pick up my paczki?!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Find me anybody in Hamtramck who calls Andy Dow "John" and I'll buy you a case of paczki.
    I just started calling him John. Nerd, you owe me a case of punchki's. Will we wash them down with Jack, Jameson or Beam?

Is that the store next to the empty lot? I believe a tax buisness is on the other side.

Speaking of that empty lot, what happened to that location?
    Fire?

I love the Jos Campus strip. Hamtramck had never let go of it's thriving commerical district even as it had taken a plunge. I could see more store opening on Jos Campu in the future. Detroit had decided to ignore and destroy it's commercial strips throughout the city to make way for strip malls. Unfortunately

I love Hamtramck. It is so colorful and wherever the eye travels it is interesting. It is the embodiment of the true American dream. It has always been like a great sponge for those aspiring to get started in America, in business or in life adsorbing wave after wave of immigrants from the Poles and Ukrainians, to the Balkan war refugees to the current wave of Bengalis,Yemenis, young artists and urban dreamers. It is continually recycled and renewed.

It's great asset is its affordability and economic and social equality. There is no upper crust district and no flat out ghetto slum. It is all working and slightly lower middle class. Families, businesses and lives have a chance to start up in relative security and opportunity. It is always getting better and yet staying the same. Good stuff will always be be happening there.

"Charest Street - Hamtramck"

Winter advisory to Hamtramck newbies: If you see a shoveled out parking place with an old kitchen chair sitting in it... you will be better off hitting on the spouse of its owner than parking in that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I just started calling him John. Nerd, you owe me a case of punchki's. Will we wash them down with Jack, Jameson or Beam?
    Hell, I've known Andy for years and never a hint that he had any other name. I guess you learn things all the time.

I think we should pair a case of prune paczki with several shots of jezynowka. Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I love Hamtramck. It is so colorful and wherever the eye travels it is interesting. It is the embodiment of the true American dream. ...It's great asset is its affordability and economic and social equality. There is no upper crust district and no flat out ghetto slum. It is all working and slightly lower middle class. Families, businesses and lives have a chance to start up in relative security and opportunity. It is always getting better and yet staying the same. Good stuff will always be be happening there.
    I don't remember why were there, but a friend of mine who had just moved back from New York & I went to breakfast at the coney island on Jos Campau. She'd never been to Hamtramck, but she said it reminded her of the burroughs in NY where everyone & everything was so close together. It made for a community.

The building that once took up that empty lot was demolished by the owner, who owns quite a bit of Jos. Campau property, with no permit and no notification of any kind to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Haussmann View Post
    Kelli K, the writer, who lived in Hamtramck a long time. Where do I pick up my paczki?!
    His name is Andrew. Model D was informed of the error.

Hey Lowell, I L O V E that painting, and your insightful and kind words about Hamtramck.

Another Hey Lowell. Hamtramck did actually "outlaw" those chairs/buckets/garbage cans/couches holding parking spots about 10 years ago. It stopped considerably. I'm one of those assholes, who, when I see an old beat up chair [[not in a handicapped zone), I'll move it to another spot several houses away or the alley, depending on my mood.

Lucky you're still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I love Hamtramck. It is so colorful and wherever the eye travels it is interesting. It is the embodiment of the true American dream. It has always been like a great sponge for those aspiring to get started in America, in business or in life adsorbing wave after wave of immigrants from the Poles and Ukrainians, to the Balkan war refugees to the current wave of Bengalis,Yemenis, young artists and urban dreamers. It is continually recycled and renewed.

It's great asset is its affordability and economic and social equality. There is no upper crust district and no flat out ghetto slum. It is all working and slightly lower middle class. Families, businesses and lives have a chance to start up in relative security and opportunity. It is always getting better and yet staying the same. Good stuff will always be be happening there.

"Charest Street - Hamtramck"

Winter advisory to Hamtramck newbies: If you see a shoveled out parking place with an old kitchen chair sitting in it... you will be better off hitting on the spouse of its owner than parking in that spot.
    Can I use this quote on another site Lowell? I am so tired of Hamtramck bashers....one in particular. You said what needs to be said so eloquently...love it!!

Or perhaps a link to this thread eh?
    Also love that painting!!

That is a painting I would love to have in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post

I live in a nieghborhood in warren that was built in the early '60's. I was told most of the people moved from hamtramck, we even have our own Kowalski retail store around the corner

It would be sad for Hamtramck to lose Kowalski Sausage.
    Not all the news from Hamtramck is good stuff!
    See the OC poaching thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast