Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Central and South American cuisine.

Anyone know of any places in Detroit that specialize in South American cuisine [[not Mexican)? Any groceries stores that carry unique South American products?

Quick search on yelp.com and I found this place:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pupuseria-y-...merican%20food

Really sounds delicious. Anyone know any other places? Would love to find a place to get Arepas, Aji peppers, or even a Cuban sandwich!

Vicente's Cuban Cuisine downtown near the library has good cuban sandwiches, although they're somewhat pricey.

El Comal on Vernor has Salvadoran and Guatemalan food, and it's good. Pupusas!

El Comal on Vernor has Guatemalan, Salvadorian, and Colombian dishes.

419 S Main St
    Royal Oak, MI 48067
    Neighborhood: Downtown Royal Oak
    [[248) 544-6255 www.cafehabanas.com

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-habana-...y:cuban%20food

Simply wonderful! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. If that's the place I think, I once saw traditional latin dance there on the wood stage with the guitars. I don't know what it is called but the woman dances hard on the wood floor with her heels. Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthofNormal View Post
    El Comal on Vernor has Guatemalan, Salvadorian, and Colombian dishes.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm still on the look for South America groceries, but I've got a lot more markets to explore in Southwest.

DetroitPole Guest

Thanks for the lead on El Comal. Does anyone know of anyplace in Detroit where you can buy Medalla Light beer?? It is a Puerto Rican beer that I love and I have never seen it here. I have friends who live in SW and they have never seen it either.

Pupusería y Restaurante Salvadoreño
    3149 Livernois Ave., Detroit; 313-899-4020

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Thanks for the lead on El Comal. Does anyone know of anyplace in Detroit where you can buy Medalla Light beer?? It is a Puerto Rican beer that I love and I have never seen it here. I have friends who live in SW and they have never seen it either.
    That and shot of Don Q is all I drink when I'm back home on vacation. Haven't seen it around here. Drinking it here would probably depress me.

Enjoy both El Comal and Vincente's. Prices at Vincente's are not out of line and what you would expect for a sit down lunch and island atmosphere. They are on Library St., east across the street from the Skillman Branch.

El Comal does not do pupusas well. The ONLY place that has had authentic Salvadorian food [[besides my kitchen!) is Pupusería y Restaurante Salvadoreño on Livernois. We have tried every place is SW detroit that offers Salvi food- and they are the best hands down. Order the Pan con Pollo [[available on weekends) - it is prefect. The sauce is very complex with 20+ ingredients, similar to how they make a mexican mole. When we make it [[Christmas) , it takes the whole day to make. I love that I can go there are eat it every weekend -its Christmas year round!! There is a Salvi owned market on Michigan Ave just west of Livernois - they might have some of the harder to find grocery items.

Too bad there are no peruvian restaurants in Michigan. Hands down the best south American cuisine.

Mmm, Peruvian cuisine. One of the national dishes is Ceviche, which you can get around here. Another is Lomo Saltado, which I love and make. I will post the recipe in Food Again in Connections.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-08-10 at 03:11 PM.

If you want to head out to Ann Arbor, a genuine South American takeout place has just opened. Haven't tried it yet, but the buzz is good. No seating.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/marcanos-takeout-ann-arbor