Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Build it and they will come?
    Nice post, well done by Lowell
    This is way off base but the first thing I thought of when seeing this was what it would have been like when the depression hit Detroit. Detroit was booming, buildings were going up left and right and then Whamo. I think some half constructed buildings were eventually torn down after sitting for years.
    Anyway, a major waste of time and money.

m b v Guest

Default Backstory of the HUGE development on Telegraph, just north of Sq Lake?

It's been abandoned since market crash of '08. Has to be the biggest commercial walk-away in Metro Detroit, no? Anyone know the back story, owners, future plans?

The backstory is that this idiot wanted to build a super upscale/super high density development [[more office space than the Rennaisance Center and with stores rivaling Somerset and condos rivaling Birmingham).

Of course Bloomfield Township laughed at him, because he was proposing like 40 times the density allowed for the site [[he wanted highrises), and so they told him no. But Pontiac, which was desperate for recognition and short on common sense, went along with a scheme to annex the site to Pontiac, and then Pontiac would approve the development.

Of course, no development was forthcoming. This property is in a crappy location, on the ass end of Bloomfield, with Pontiac schools and taxes. Bloomfield Township extends beyond Square Lake Road, but everything beyond that road is "Pontiac lite" and unsuitable for high-end anything [[there has never been "Bloomfield-style" housing north of Square Lake, and everyone considers that area Pontiac).

In short, this project was idiotic in the best of times. In the worst of times, it's about the dumbest project ever. Might as well build Neiman Marcus, a bajillion condos and a 200 floor building in Ecorse.

m b v Guest

Thanks for the insight. But correct me if I'm wrong, aren't many of the million dollar homes in and around that area, like Turtle lake, technically Pontiac, with Pontiac schools and taxes?

m b v Guest

Telegraph between Sq Lake and Orchard Lk isn't nearly as bad as Telegraph north of Orchard Lk. I can see how a developer might think that area would be viable, it is a great location for yuppies. Lot of businesses right there, or longer commuters have Telegraph and super easy access to I-75, the lakes to the west, good food options on Orchard Lake or south in B'ham.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    Thanks for the insight. But correct me if I'm wrong, aren't many of the million dollar homes in and around that area, like Turtle lake, technically Pontiac, with Pontiac schools and taxes?
    Turtle Lake is south of Square Lake, and, yes, I believe is Pontiac schools, but that's really the only exception I can think of. There's one part of the Pontiac school district that "dips" below Square Lake, which is probably why the Turtle Lake property was undeveloped until a few years ago.

But, in any case, Turtle Lake hasn't exactly done well. It's mostly undeveloped, and they're now trying to sell "normal sized" homes. And Turtle Lake is a very nice plot of land, on a beautiful lake, and surrounded by upscale homes in Bloomfield Hills schools.

The Bloomfield Park property is around 1.5 miles to the northeast, and surrounded by industrial land, storefront churches, and declining strip malls. It isn't a very nice area.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-12-13 at 12:45 PM.

I can see how a developer might think that area would be viable, it is a great location for yuppies.
    On what basis did you reach this conclusion? Of all the places in Metro Detroit, Pontiac would be your first choice for yuppies?

I mean, yeah, the site is viable for certain uses, like a Walmart, Meijer, or self-storage units.

I don't think it's viable for anything remotely upscale, as nothing exists remotely upscale north of Square Lake.

You've got your Taco Bell, your trailer park and your no-tell motel, though, all in proximity. And, in any case, the proposed density was absurd.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-12-13 at 12:51 PM.

There was a very detailed story that was published by Downtown Publications in their December 2012 issue. Its a 30MB file for the issue listed below, but the story starts on page 13.

http://www.downtownpublications.com/...mber2012sm.pdf

There was some questionable fact-checking and journalism in the article, since Downtown Publications issues a correction in January:
    http://www.downtownpublications.com/...ark-story.html

Either way, there is some good detail on what happened and let to this suburban ruin.

The whole concept was stupid from the beginning.

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    On what basis did you reach this conclusion? Of all the places in Metro Detroit, Pontiac would be your first choice for yuppies?

I mean, yeah, the site is viable for certain uses, like a Walmart, Meijer, or self-storage units.

I don't think it's viable for anything remotely upscale, as nothing exists remotely upscale north of Square Lake.

You've got your Taco Bell, your trailer park and your no-tell motel, though, all in proximity. And, in any case, the proposed density was absurd.
    Ha, I was playing a little devil's advocate. That said, 24 south of Orchard Lake Rd isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. North of Orchard Lake Rd is when it gets very sketch, very fast.

The location offers very easy commuter access being on 24 and right next to 75. Or a SUPER short commute to Chrysler hq and Auburn Hills, or the Pontiac hospitals, gov offices and GM up 24. Lakes RIGHT there to the west. Tons of entertainment options on Orchard Lake in West Bloom, or 5 miles to the south in Birmingham.

If a Taco Bell and Walmart nearby made every developer run from a development nothing would ever be developed, anywhere.
    Last edited by m b v; March-12-13 at 02:00 PM.

m b v Guest

m b v Guest

You're off by a mile or two. What you describe is north of Orchard Lake. South of Orchard Lake but north of Square Lake are Costco, the Target with the underground parking and the cart escalator, Carl's Golfland, Golling Chrysler, Olga's, Best Buy, Panera, Hillside Furniture, Evola Music, Honda of Bloomfield, Lowes, etc. Not downtown Birmingham but not Madison Heights either. Not what I'd consider an upscale area except it is frequented by the affluent folks who live nearby. Scan the parking lot at Costco and you'll see plenty of M-B, BMW, Lexus, Audi models. Things really change when you go past the Home Depot at Orchard Lake. At that point it's the Pontiac/Waterford border and it looks like it.

m b v Guest

^ Bingo. The scope of the project was obviously an issue, but the location is/was prime for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    You're off by a mile or two. What you describe is north of Orchard Lake. South of Orchard Lake but north of Square Lake are Costco, the Target with the underground parking and the cart escalator, Carl's Golfland, Golling Chrysler, Olga's, Best Buy, Panera, Hillside Furniture, Evola Music, Honda of Bloomfield, Lowes, etc.
    Not really, though. I'm describing stuff in the immediate vicinity, not two miles away.

Everything you described is south of this site, and not in Pontiac, and everything I described is north or west of the site, and in Pontiac or Keego Harbor.

And, in the Bloomfield part, you forgot 99 Cents Today, Dollar Tree, Kmart, McDonalds, IHop, and the sketchy apartments right across Telegraph from Bloomfield Park. And don't forget the failing Target, which is supposedly the lowest performing store in MI.

I know that Costco draws high end folks, because it's basically where Franklin Rd. [[one of the richest roads in Bloomfields) exits for Telegraph, but that's a mile south.

As I said, I think the area would be fine for big box or self-storage, but not for anything remotely upscale.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-12-13 at 02:42 PM.

Not really, though. I'm describing stuff in the immediate vicinity, not two miles away.

Everything you described is south of this site, and not in Pontiac, and everything I described is north or west of the site, and in Pontiac or Keego Harbor.

And, in the Bloomfield part, you forgot 99 Cents Today, Dollar Tree, Kmart, McDonalds, IHop, and the sketchy apartments right across Telegraph from Bloomfield Park. And don't forget the failing Target, which is supposedly the lowest performing store in MI.

I know that Costco draws high end folks, because it's basically where Franklin Rd. [[one of the richest roads in Bloomfields) exits for Telegraph, but that's a mile south.

As I said, I think the area would be fine for big box or self-storage, but not for anything remotely upscale.
    I don't know, just for conversation's sake, would the area really be the same as you're describing if this project was off the ground in mid 90s instead of in the middle of a world wide recession? I mean there are tons of subdivisions full of big foot homes off of less than ascetically pleasing roads all over the place. Isn't this really just a bigger version of your run of the mill exurban development project? You don't think some of the eyesores would have dissapeared if this project took off?

Also...wtf was the point of that target? elevating it like that had to be insanely expensive. Was the target there because of Bloomfield park?
    Last edited by bailey; March-12-13 at 03:08 PM.

m b v Guest

Um, Costco is right next to the Bloomfield Park. That stretch of Telegraph is one of the busiest, most affluent and viable thoroughfares in Metro Detroit.

Failing Target? Do you have a source for that Target stat? My Mom and the rest of her Bham friends love that Target.
    Last edited by m b v; March-13-13 at 11:19 AM.

The Target is located at Telegraph and Square Lake because they want to be close to the high income residents of the area. The other Targets are located at Birmingham/Troy [[Maple & Coolidge) or Rochester Hills [[Rochester & M-59), or Walled Lake.

The site used to be a movie theater and has an irregular shape. The only way they could get the appropriate square footage and parking in was to elevate the store and have parking on the ground floor. This was independent of Bloomfield Park.

Um, Costco is literally right next to the Bloomfield Park. Carl's Golf is right across the street. That stretch of Telegraph is one of the busiest, afluent and viable thoroughfares in Metro Detroit.

Do you have a source for that Target stat? My Mom and the rest of her Bham friends love that Target.
    I've been in that Target a few times, come to think of it, it never really did seem too busy to me.

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Compare Fountain Walk [[an incredibly badly executed plan) to Partridge Creek or the Village of Rochester Hills.
    Are Partridge Creek and the Village deemed successes? The Village seems pretty busy to me whenever I've been there.

Every time I've been to Partridge Creek, it has been packed. Lots of teenagers doing their thing, but very low key and Disneyesque.

Bailey, the most interesting thing about comparing Fountain Walk with Partridge Creek is that both were developed by Taubman. Taubman however bailed on it before the first store opened!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_..._Fountain_Walk

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Bailey, the most interesting thing about comparing Fountain Walk with Partridge Creek is that both were developed by Taubman. Taubman however bailed on it before the first store opened!
    Fountain Walk was recently purchased [[for almost nothing) by an out-of-state entity, and they've actually been fairly successful at filling up the place with cheesy restaurants and entertainment venues [[Tilted Kilt, some martini lounge, some go-kart venue, etc.)

These sorts of projects were no doubt helped by the ridiculous SEMCOG projections that were floating around in the '90s and early '00s. When you can bring in a SEMCOG analysis to a meeting [[and trust me, any outside expert is going to pull that information, because it's so easy) that projects major population growth and indefinite sprawl, it's easy to justify building something like this out in Bloomfield Hills. I mean, even now, SEMCOG doesn't make graphs that don't end with an uptick. SEMCOG has probably done more to screw this region than anything else.

Just check out page 8 of this report from 2001: http://library.semcog.org/InmagicGen...ecast_2030.pdf

Such beautiful, beautiful sprawl. Why I'd call it a work of modern art!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast