Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Matty Gets a Little Contempt Back

Well, it seems the contempt WE all hold against this enigma seems to be returning to him.

Matty stands to get another ceremonial wrist-slap due his eager empire-building.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010120...ontempt-ruling

Seems the state won't give up on that damned ramp going up without any permits...wasn't there some land dispute for a portion underneath it as well?

Do the right thing, Matty! COMPROMISE and then do something useful with your millions before you have to face your maker. Please.

[[believe me, dude, you DON'T want to carry this karmic burden into the afterlife...)

Can't the city and/or state claim the bridge under emminent domain? Maybe put this guy out of business. Here in NY, all the bridges and tunnels are owned by the Port Authoirty of NY/NJ... just wondering how a bridge is privately owned.

I was going to post this last week but got too busy... In a cover article in Crains by BShea, Matty...
    "Moroun cites U.S.-Canadian treaties and agreements that he says give him a perpetual monopoly on bridge traffic in the Detroit-Windsor corridor.

Others, including the Canadian and Michigan governments, disagree. So do industry watchers.

"I've read the documents, and Moroun has no basis for the claim he has a right to a perpetual monopoly," Samuel said. "He can't sustain any claim of that kind in the courts. But the use of taxpayer subsidies to put him out of business would be a travesty. That seems to be the aim of some of his opponents, including some at MDOT."
    Can anyone else spell chutzpah? At a certain level he almost become comedic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorthook View Post
    Can't the city and/or state claim the bridge under emminent domain? Maybe put this guy out of business. Here in NY, all the bridges and tunnels are owned by the Port Authoirty of NY/NJ... just wondering how a bridge is privately owned.
    Shorthook, I am not familiar enough with the history of the bridge to know how it ended up in private hands [[or even if it was always in private hands). However, even if the state could take a bridge by emiment domain [[possibly, but I am not up on Michigan eminent domain law) it would need to pay Maroun a fair value for the property, which would obviously be lots of $$$$.

A few of us continually wonder that, too!

In this case, from what I gather, you run daddy's truck repair business...then swallow up the bridge in a huge court claim for payment from a large company that ended up in trouble. All to get even with the bridge company for displacing the family in Windsor in his formative years.

Not exactly a front-door deal. From what I understand, Matty is not capable of performing that way...and he's even sued members of his own FAMILY! Some say ALL but his own son, but the trend isn't very good for him to escape, heh.

Shows Matty has a wee bit o' trouble with that whole worship of money thing...taking the proper valuation of people over money and turning it on its head.

The property dealings in the SW were even more vicious and dirty, if you can believe the neighbors who remain.

I believe the fellow has some horrible karma, he is not unlike our own Mr. Burns on the Simpsons. We all thought that, then the MetroTimes put him on their cover in a mocking way as Burns!

I think it is time for him to rectify the negative seeds he's sewn, so he is more prepared when his time is due. He is still breathing, so he CAN make better choices, starting today.

He could go from zero to hero in a few short but significant moves.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Shorthook, I am not familiar enough with the history of the bridge to know how it ended up in private hands [[or even if it was always in private hands). However, even if the state could take a bridge by emiment domain [[possibly, but I am not up on Michigan eminent domain law) it would need to pay Maroun a fair value for the property, which would obviously be lots of $$$$.

Ha-ha, not if THEY win it in a court settlement...wouldn't THAT be perfect karmic whiplash?!

^^^ looking forward to getting some photos of the bulldozers eating up that ugly-ass duty free store and gas station megaplex which is sitting on Detroit land forcing all the semi's onto Fort W. Grand Blvd and Lafayette and other places they don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorthook View Post
    Not only would the City or State have to pay 3 billion [[which would easily break their budgets) for it, but, due to how it is taken [[condemnation), they wouldn't be able to operate the bridge causing it to shutdown. Which would put a very big dent in North American Trade.

Let the Feds seize it as a security portal and let HomeSec run it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Let the Feds seize it as a security portal and let HomeSec run it.
    Same deal, only now it lends credence to the Federal Instrumentality argument. Besides, U.S. Customs already provides security at the bridge.