Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Making Lemonade out of Lemons in the Urban Prairie

With the advent of Google Street view I find myself virtually wandering almost as much as I do actual wandering. So what a delight it was to encounter this little empire in the midst of the urban prairie. Empty land? Your loss is our gain. Such pride, care and attention to detail flies in the face of so many misconceptions. Scenes like this just make me smile and say "Wow!"

Ooo I miss those summer days now too!

Absolutely brilliant!!

Beautiful...

This smacks of obsession as well! At least with the Red Wings...

Passion is SO easy to spot...we should encourage such behavior.

LOWELL!

You photoshopped the white gal OUT of the photos?! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    LOWELL!

You photoshopped the white gal OUT of the photos?! LOL

LOL!!!! WTF is a "hand bill"? It's written on the porch door.

Great find Lowell. I find myself strolling around Detroit all the time, via streetview that is.....and I'm always blown away when you stumble across these wonderful gems in the middle of a wasteland. Half the time, I figure it's just some little old lady or man, who had bought the house 60 years ago, and I love that they refuse to give in. Those people are the ones who truly do care for this ol' girl called Detroit.

How much do you think it cost to buy up all that land?

Simply wonderful! I can relate as I have lots on either side of my property. One a fairly new un-purchased city lot from an abandoned house ruin that was finally torn down. The other part of the property. We keep both mowed and the owned one landscaped...

This lot is huge compared to small house. So nice to see such a custom gem of individual creativity maintenance in the 'hood. ------

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    LOL!!!! WTF is a "hand bill"? It's written on the porch door.
    Gannon, Google blur faces and license plates for privacy but IMO one could still identify that person on the porch so I so I removed her. I'm amazed that you tracked down the site.

Magna, hand bills are printed advertising flyers that are delivered 'by hand' outside the postal system.

While they provide low level employment, they also are perceived as an opportunity to scope out premises. They also add to a lot of litter since they cannot legally be placed in mail boxes and tend to get dropped on porches, stuffed in doors etc. I don't think they are that common any more as companies are more adept at creating packages of bills for postal workers to deliver.

Lowell,

She should be identified and given an award! By both the city AND the Illitches/Red Wings. Hell, I'd give her some tickets to games if I could afford it! Just for the flowers alone...

But please, delete my link then, to continue...and in the future, don't use the street name when you save the file.

The address was blurred, but not on their garbage can.

Took me about a minute to find, another to post about it.

Cheers!

Advice taken. Another reason for concealing this is one wonders if they are taking over the land by adverse possession. You're right. They deserve a sunshine award.

Did anyone notice the Portajohn in the backyard? Apparently they do some partying. And by the looks of the neighborhood there are no neighbors to complain about it.

The house in these photos is on Fulton St. in Southwest Detroit. The man who owns the house painted the Red Wings images sometime around 1997. The paint is now faded, but back in 1997 it was quite spectacular. The owner is very friendly, and will allow anyone to walk around his home and take photos.

This is what Detroit should celebrate and make an icon. Why not center out people such as this for their inspiration? The city needs all the good news it can get. And it may be contagious?

My uncle did this on manistque and avondale in the early 80's, back then the street only had a few abandoned or torn down homes so he bought the lots next to his and we sunk 4X4 next to the sidewalk and fenced in the three lots. Sadly, all those homes are long gone now but it was nice for about 10 years back in the 80's.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    The house in these photos is on Fulton St. in Southwest Detroit. The man who owns the house painted the Red Wings images sometime around 1997. The paint is now faded, but back in 1997 it was quite spectacular. The owner is very friendly, and will allow anyone to walk around his home and take photos.
    Bing maps has a nice view into the backyard. Well manicured, as well as definitely not urban prairie at all. More like a suburban scene than anything else.

not so much urban prairie, but someone has an awful nice place @ 13975 Tuller

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...83.84,,0,-1.25

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Magna, hand bills are printed advertising flyers that are delivered 'by hand' outside the postal system. While they provide low level employment, they also are perceived as an opportunity to scope out premises. They also add to a lot of litter since they cannot legally be placed in mail boxes and tend to get dropped on porches, stuffed in doors etc. I don't think they are that common any more as companies are more adept at creating packages of bills for postal workers to deliver.
    Harper Woods is absolutely buried in these things. I have in fact heard the carriers calling to each other back and forth across the street "heres another one!" and then writing the address down for all the empty houses. Then they get scrapped. Including the house next to mine - which disappointed the scrappers with galvanized - lol. But they left the doors kicked open and scrapped the storm doors.

In this city, you have to go pay for an official sticker to stop the handbillers, or they will deliver them anyway. So the city sells licenses the handbillers, and then also charges the residents to put up a "no handbill" sign.

Stupid city.

That's what an empty lot should look like!

Scrolling around on Google maps it's obvious that many in that neighborhood really care. There's a couple empty houses, but most of the houses that are still standing are fairly well maintained [[Some are impeccable).

DetroitDad Guest

I love it!!!