Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Uniroyal site cleanup in sight

muskie1 Guest

Seems like we should have offered Uniroyal or another company 8.6 million to keep the plant running and a 30 yr. no tax deal, maybe we would have saved some jobs and at least generated some revenue for the city.

In the article from what the guy at Harbortown says... it sounds like any condos and apartments won't be very tall... "too expensive to go into the ground and into the air".... So can we expect something like a lowrise Crosswinds project?
    Last edited by Gistok; December-06-10 at 02:07 AM.

Here is my question?????? Why are they going to spend money on cleaning this site up, when we have much more blight then this!!!!!!!!! WTF>Detroit is so ass backwards at times!

Detroitbob66.... did you read the article? The money is coming from DTE Energy, DuPont and a British company.... to remediate locations that their predecessor companies contaminated in the first place. This isn't city money cleaning this up....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Detroitbob66.... did you read the article? The money is coming from DTE Energy, DuPont and a British company.... to remediate locations that their predecessor companies contaminated in the first place. This isn't city money cleaning this up....
    Ohhh yeah....good point Gistok! Nope I didnt read it, my bad! Still, why doesnt DuPont and DTE Energy put money into something else that is more of an emergency? How about them apples?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Ohhh yeah....good point Gistok! Nope I didnt read it, my bad! Still, why doesnt DuPont and DTE Energy put money into something else that is more of an emergency? How about them apples?
    Maybe because they HAVE to do this or get in trouble.

No one is breathing down their neck for anything else.

Hey detroitbob66.......what planet are you from? None of these companies is doing this out of the kindness of their corporate hearts. They're doiing it because , in effect, they now have a loaded gun pointed at thier heads. As for why on the riverfront?....because riverfront land is much more expensive and desirable to build on biut, even those big plus factors are fighting against the current economic conditions which probably will make any kind of development there [[about a mile from my house) financially impossible. Cleaning up the site is only the first step and it's taken 30+ years to get here; it's probably going to be at leats another 30 years before something good is built on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by muskie1 View Post
    Seems like we should have offered Uniroyal or another company 8.6 million to keep the plant running and a 30 yr. no tax deal, maybe we would have saved some jobs and at least generated some revenue for the city.
    It's kinda pointless to incentivize a domestic industry when our trade policies favor imports: http://www.freep.com/article/2008122...try-s-downfall

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Because DuPont and DTE Energy are in the business of delivering profits to their share holders and scientific research, respectively, and not in the business of putting out Detroit's fires. Although it must be said that DTE Energy gives a lot of sponsorship dollars every year to Detroit events, including the awesome Motown Winter Blast.

Besides, cleaning up the river front is a small picture in the large photo puzzle of putting Detroit back together. It doesn't solve all Detroit's problems, but it solves one of them.

gdogslim Guest

Why isn't much of the money coming from Uniroyal [[Michelin).
    According to many precedent court rulings, toxic cleanup costs can go back back back many owners and there is no break in the chain after contamination.
    So you can also argue the government must also have liability in this as well as they ok'd went along with the company dumping toxic waste into our water and land for the sake of jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Why isn't much of the money coming from Uniroyal [[Michelin).
    According to many precedent court rulings, toxic cleanup costs can go back back back many owners and there is no break in the chain after contamination.
    So you can also argue the government must also have liability in this as well as they ok'd went along with the company dumping toxic waste into our water and land for the sake of jobs.
    The article doesn't get too specific about who pays for what... but before Uniroyal... there were other site contaminating businesses on the site.

It doesn't mention a dollar amount per company... but Michelin [[successor to Uniroyal) is one of 4 companies paying for this cleanup.

As for making the government [[which entity??) partly responsible... there weren't environmental rules 100 years ago. So the government gets away from any liability. It's not as though they were liable for negligence in not enforcing nonexisting rules....

It's nice to see this moving, no matter who is paying. At the very least the riverwalk will be completed.

Since any housing on the site will likely be lowrise... I would prefere to see a twin [[mirror image) of Gabriel Richard Park [[located on the east side of the bridge) on part of the Uniroyal site....

.... and then they should turn the entire Jefferson/E. Grand Blvd. clusterfuck interchange into a large traffic circle.... they could move the Hurlbut Gate [[inside closed Waterworks Park) to the middle of the traffic circle.... and call the circle.... oh I don't know.... Hurlbut Circle.... MacArthur Circle... Jefferson Circle... Grand Circle... Belle Isle Circle...

Quote Originally Posted by Ststannies View Post
    Hey detroitbob66.......what planet are you from? None of these companies is doing this out of the kindness of their corporate hearts. They're doiing it because , in effect, they now have a loaded gun pointed at thier heads. As for why on the riverfront?....because riverfront land is much more expensive and desirable to build on biut, even those big plus factors are fighting against the current economic conditions which probably will make any kind of development there [[about a mile from my house) financially impossible. Cleaning up the site is only the first step and it's taken 30+ years to get here; it's probably going to be at leats another 30 years before something good is built on the site.
    Hey hey ststannies, easy on the insult. I post on this website for fun and entertainment, not for anyone to insult me. Gistok made a good point, but didn't insult me. Why did you feel that you had to go out and do it. Be careful who you insult, because you never know who is on the other side of the keyboard. Someone, who may not be as easy going as me, may take offense to the planet remark and decide to retaliate. I tend to smile and laugh because its funny to me that people get so defensive and rude on this website. Lowell did not create DetroitYes for this reason. We are supposed to be a team in support of a better Detroit! STSTANNIES......on another note, you make an excellent point too, they probably are feeling heat and pressure by some corporate big wigs or something. I take no offense to your remark, and I also believe that you make a great point here! Thanks