Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Alvin's, open still?

I heard a rumor a few weeks ago that Alvin;s on Cass Ave. had closed down. Their website is still functional and an answering machine comes on when I call. Can anyone update it's status for me?

Default Alvin's Status

Just went to their Facebook page and see a message dated Nov. 30th saying that there is a sign on the door saying they will be closed for a month and the poster said the sign has been on the door for at least a month; not a good sign. Too bad...

I haven't been able to get any news on them since October.

It would be a shame for them to go away again.

Yeah,

I was going to talk to them about having 'old-timers night' sometime this winter. All us old geezers who used to hang out in the 70's & 80's there could use a place to get together once a month on a Friday or Saturday. Recently was at an opening at Skipper's in Hamtown where I bandied the idea around with a few folks and thought about acting instead of talking.

I don't understand why they didn't get more of a lunch crowd in that a WSU administrative building with several hundred people working there, plus dept. of nursing, law school, etc. were nearby.

I went there for lunch with friends several times and the food was good, reasonably priced and friendly service. I think they didn't want to be a lunch place as much as a music venue and hang
    out for students & locals. Spoke to the owners several times and they were real friendly and hard-working. Some extenuating factors may be at work. Don't really know who owns the building anymore. It used to be a fellow by the name of Brandt Marwil, but I won't go into that....

Just ate dinner there with a colleague in late September. Everything was superb. When we left, the crowd was growing and the act was warming up very loudly. I just can't believe it.

I have one response to the queries about Alvin's and it isn't definitive but it is the most important part of the equation - IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID! I hope all politicians of all stripes hear that. We are in the most depression economy since the Great Depression. Yeah, I know about opportunities, blah, blah, blah. But this is TOUGH times. Anyone not overly well endowed with capital, is facing bankruptcy. I've heard repeatedly that Alvin's is gone - again. It's a damn shame. Keep up the pressure on our idiotic politicians to do at least a few right things. Enact your own stimulus program - go out one night per week, if only for a snack or a few drinks. Try new places and old ones you haven't been to in a while. Do something. Get out and protest. Yell at your legislator. Whatever......