Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vinsetta Garage closed; facing the wrecking ball

Just noticed this story on Channel 4's website:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/26012775/detail.html

Because nobody wanted to take over the "classic" Vinsetta Garage on Woodward, it's going to be torn down. Seems like a ridiculous shame, since that place has been operating since 1919 [[when Woodward was a dirt road) and serviced both classic and modern cars. My guess is that the owner either had too high an asking price for his mechanics to be able to buy the place out or he simply didn't try hard enough to find a buyer.

Yeah, I had seen that earlier. It is a shame. Forget modern and classic cars, that article says it first serviced horse and buggie!!
    I would think it was more of a high price thing. He seems to care deeply about his cutomers and the station itself.
    Who knows, there are tons of gearheads in this region and alot probably go to, or are very familiar with the shop. Maybe hearing this, and the fact that it's about to meet the wrecking ball might spur someone to buy it.

that just sounds wrong to tear down a building right as the business closes. Sounds like some emotional ploy to gain interest on saving/selling it.

I looked for some kind of real estate listing, nothing,,,,, so he verbally asked someone person and they said no? some attempt at selling eh?......... well by the look of it anyway
    Last edited by n7hn; December-04-10 at 11:52 AM.

It is never good for business to put a For Sale sign up...MOST businesses are sold on the hush to maintain momentum and customer loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I looked for some kind of real estate listing, nothing,,,,, so he verbally asked someone person and they said no? some attempt at selling eh?......... well by the look of it anyway
    If the owner is trying to sell an operating car repair business, then it may not be on a real estate listing. Rather is would be offered by a business broker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It is never good for business to put a For Sale sign up...MOST businesses are sold on the hush to maintain momentum and customer loyalty.
    Yeah, Its more common just to announce tearing it down..... I know about hush sales with no sign's but there should be a listing somewhere. Protecting the business you have closed????? cmon

from a friend who lives round the corner...

Thanks for the link. Jack's wife was terribly ill for the last couple years, she died in October. I understand his heart just isn't in it anymore, but the entire city is hoping a buyer comes along. Not sure if it's a price thing or not, but the world needs more good mechanics, instead of whatever crap would be put there. location, location, location. And please God, no more real estate or law firms or dr ofcs.

This Dutchman shakes his head in disgust!

The google streetview picture says it all. This is everything that was good about Detroit. Look at that row of musclecars in front, and along Woodward a Covette Convertible passes. Quintessential Detroit!!

johnny1954 Guest

Is Jack Marwil related to the Marwil bookstore by Wayne State?

It would be acceptable to tear it down if they reconstructed it in Greenfield Village I think.

I like the Whitehouse plan^.

I havent been to GFV since I was a kid. How old does something have to be before they will consider saving it? Is GFV strictly turn of the century and earlier?

I love the old gas stations. A friend fixed up the one at second one block North of MLK into a business type building but still hasnt found a renter yet.

If they tear this down,another part of my youth will be gone.I don't want to see another small strip center on Woodward.Keep away Five Guys and bring back the Totem Pole,Suzy Q or Ted's.

johnny1954 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    If they tear this down,another part of my youth will be gone.I don't want to see another small strip center on Woodward.Keep away Five Guys and bring back the Totem Pole,Suzy Q or Ted's.
    Hell if you want to go that old school then bring back the happy ending too.

They should court the Walsh Family of mechanics from redford to take it over if they want reliability and honesty to be a part of its future.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny1954 View Post
    Hell if you want to go that old school then bring back the happy ending too.
    Who in the hell doesn't like a "happy ending"?Unless she charges too much!

Back in the late '60's Vinsetta's saved my young Navy butt! They repaired the brake line on my '59 Olds in time for me to drive back to my ship in Florida. And they did it on the spot - no reservation!

johnny1954 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    Who in the hell doesn't like a "happy ending"?Unless she charges too much!
    yeah.. I miss those places on Woodward... everyone has to be so Puritanical now.

Seems like the perfect spot for a cool hipster coffee shop. Investors needed

Interesting that there aren't 100 posts about how it's impossible to do business in the suburbs and postulating on why it's closing [[neighborhood sucks, crime, city issues, etc). I guess that only happens when a business in the city closes.

johnny1954 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Interesting that there aren't 100 posts about how it's impossible to do business in the suburbs and postulating on why it's closing [[neighborhood sucks, crime, city issues, etc). I guess that only happens when a business in the city closes.
    yep that is a valid criticism of Detroit. An inspector for everything, signs, parking lots, coolers, electrical, roofing, etc.. And every inspector has their hand out while "inspecting."

yep that is a valid criticism of Detroit. An inspector for everything, signs, parking lots, coolers, electrical, roofing, etc.. And every inspector has their hand out while "inspecting."
    You missed the point.

johnny1954 Guest

You missed the point.
    Please explain yours. No need to play cloak and dagger.

Please explain yours. No need to play cloak and dagger.
    When a Detroit business closes there is a myriad of posts citing why the business closed [[although most of the people have little clue) and attributing it to specific reasons that all, in their minds, prove that business can't succeed in the city. Typically it is done with a smug satisfaction. When a business in the suburbs closes there is none of the bs speculation or smug satisfaction.

Instead it is usually people whining about how much of a shame it is.

johnny1954 Guest

When a Detroit business closes there is a myriad of posts citing why the business closed [[although most of the people have little clue) and attributing it to specific reasons that all, in their minds, prove that business can't succeed in the city. Typically it is done with a smug satisfaction. When a business in the suburbs closes there is none of the bs speculation or smug satisfaction.

Instead it is usually people whining about how much of a shame it is.
    Ok, but I know first hand of the crap you have to take from city inspectors in Detroit. It's a pain in the arse. I had a burned out, abandoned building next to my building and instead of the inspectors citing this abandoned building they flock to my building like vultures. It's a shame the city of Detroit circles thriving business like a carcass to feast on.

Excuse my question, but I don't live in MI anymore. There used to be another auto repair shop on Woodward somewhere north of 8 mile. I remember they had a car sticking out of the second story that always had the front wheels turning. I've looked on Google streetview, but don't know where to start looking and don't know if it's still there. Do remember it was on the east side of Woodward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast