Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Jim Shaw, Music Promoter, Age 54

Last Updated: December 04. 2010 1:00AM
    Jim Shaw, Hamtramck
    Store owner promoted Detroit rock scene

Candice Williams / The Detroit News

Hamtramck — Jim Shaw loved music so much he attended concerts as often as four or five times a week.

"He was a record collector and music collector," said his brother, Jerry Shaw. "He had a lot of knowledge about music and he'd share that with his musician friends."

Mr. Shaw, a tireless promoter of Detroit's music scene who once owned a vintage clothing store in Dearborn, died Friday, Dec. 5, 2010, after a long battle with cancer. He was 54.

Born Feb. 29, 1956, in Detroit, Mr. Shaw grew up in Detroit and attended Cody High School.

After leaving school, he worked as a truck driver transporting cars. In 1979, he and a partner opened Cinderella's Attic, a vintage clothing store on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn.

"A lot of bands would come and shop for clothing for performances and stuff like that," Jerry Shaw said. "He was really a big part of the Detroit local music scene."

Shaw and his business partner later parted ways. Cinderella's Attic is now located in Birmingham.

In February 2009, local musical acts and celebrities rallied around Shaw with a fundraiser in his honor at the Magic Stick in Detroit.

Shaw belonged to several BMW motorcycle clubs and enjoyed traveling. He'd go to New York City for concerts, Jerry Shaw said. Hamtramck Mayor Karen Majewski said she met Shaw about 10 years ago while shopping for vintage clothing at rummage sales.

"Jim was really a unique person and a mainstay in the Detroit rock 'n' roll scene," Majewski said.

Shaw married Sandra Kramer in 1998. The couple lived in Hamtramck, where he served on the planning commission for several years until his health declined.

"They're very cool, progressive folks," Majewski said of Shaw and his wife, who owns Barberella Salon in Hamtramck. "[[Shaw) was a wonderful person who made a difference in the community and made Hamtramck a better place."

In addition to his wife and brother, he is survived by his mother, Patricia Shaw; brothers Pat, Steve and Matt; sisters Lisa and Katie; and seven nieces and nephews. Funeral arrangements were pending Friday.

cwilliams@detnews.com

[[313) 222-2311

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101204/...oit-rock-scene[

Never heard of him, but figured maybe some of y'all had.

Thanks for posting this, Meddle. Altho' I didn't know Jim Shaw personally I would often see him at musical events around the City. He seemed like a big-hearted soul who enjoyed music, people and the bonhomie of his friends and associates. The benefits mentioned in his obit quickly sold out. I hope there will be a memorial show in his honor.

Whenever I would go to see an obscure band and only a few people would show up, Jim Shaw would always be one of those people. I attended the memorial at the Magic Stick, it was jam packed. He was a good guy and will be missed.

I served on the Hamtramck Planning Commission with Jim and have known his wife Sandy even longer...they are wonder people - kind, generous, and passionate about contributing to their community. This is a real loss for Hamtramck and for so many in this area. My heart goes out to the family.

Walter Wasacz reflects on Jim Shaw's life and passions in the Metro Times.

http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.ph...jim-shaw-dies/

I was at his house in Hamtramck 2 or 3 times with Record Jeff just before his health went south. I thought he was a great guy and I'll miss him.

I got this email from the Majestic Theater Center about Jim Shaw.

JIM SHAW: 1956 - 2010

The Majestic sends our deepest condolences to the friends and family of Jim Shaw, who passed away Friday at the age of 54, after a long battle with cancer.

A noted local visual artist, as well as a long-time member of Hamtramck's Plan Commission, Jim Shaw is considered instrumental in the launch of many local music legends. Jim co-founded Cinderella's Attic in 1979, which soon became a mainstay outfitter for local and national bands, dressing the likes of Iggy Pop and the B52s.

A veritable music historian, Jim archived shows on a habitual basis - not for profit, just for the pure joy of it. Through it all, Jim remained one of the nicest, most genuine and generous people in town.

At the wake Monday afternoon, the Majestic dedicated the Magic Stick stage to Jim Shaw, in honor of his truly infectious love of music, and tireless promotion of the local music scene. A dedication ceremony will be held in the coming months.

I owe a huge chunk of my musical education to Jim Shaw. Thank you for everything you ever did for me brother. Love and respect.

I have known Jim for years. Knew him when we were young. He comes from a great family....very community-oriented. He will be sorely missed. Godspeed, Jim, Godspeed.

I considered Jim to be a big brother to me and have known him
    for over three decades, as an avid procurer of all things cool and worthy of
    collection.
    Jim was a happy person. Jim was a loving person. Jim would help you if you
    needed help. Jim loved information, and always left me feeling drained after
    talking to him, as he had a way of finding out about everything that was going on
    in your life, and your immediate sphere. He just loved to know.
    I contribute much of who I am today, as a direct result of my friendship with
    Jim Shaw.
    I wish he was still alive.
    I believe the 'stage dedication' will help keep him alive for many of us. Thank You.
    R.I.P. Jim Shaw.