Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Superbird rises again!

One of the iconic cars of the early 70's, the Plymouth Superbird. Once they were hard to sell by their maker, now they are very much in demand and valuable.

Now, there's a company who converts Challengers to Superbirds. Your verdict, tastful or blaspheme?

Love it....take a Superbird or any massive muscle car into some yuppie area and get those rude and digusting stares lol.

Well, the real Superbird pictured is just a sexy beast. All I'm getting is red X's so I googled for the conversion. The pics I found a gold and blue coloured cars, are these the ones you posted?

I'm really iffy about them. I don't think their body is quite long enough to pull off the nose and wing of a Superbird. The way they stand now is almost a stupid ricer look with a big wing that won't do anything until you hit 100+ mph.
    A little more tweeking and I think they could pull it off.

And now....I'm a MOPAR guy, all the way.....but I really like these conversions for the Camaro

Attachment 7950

This T/A would look much better white w/ 2 blue stripes...but whatever.

Attachment 7951
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; December-04-10 at 08:11 AM.

Are they a local company?

I like both the redo of the Super Birds and the Camaro conversations....especially since the conversions are to a Pontiac. I designed Pontiacs in Pontiac design center for years, so I am partial. As for the Super Birds, those bring back memories, as they took stock Plymouths and Dodges to a small factory in Roseville to make the transformation to add the wings, decals and front ends. As a very young kid I would sneak in the back and drool over the cars.

When I was about 10 [[I'm 29 now), my first glimps of a Superbird was just that...a glimps. I was walking thru the park late into the summer, and had just exited an alley leading from the road to the park, it was dusk. Everything had a purplish-blue tinge to it.
    I could hear this unearthly growl coming from the street I had just left, and whatever it was.....it just decided it had somewhere to be.
    I turn my head to see what it was, only being able to see about 60 feet of the road thru the alley, this.....this thing shoots across my vision. All I catch is the roofline, the deep blue sky threw just enough light on the top of that bulging rear fender, and that massive wing......and then it was gone.

I honestly don't think I'll ever forget that.

Pretty cool, but the amber one has an ugly lower rear valance,
    the blue one looks great. Vote yes, but I bet the cost$ are high...

What does that wing actually do? Keep the rear wheels on the ground, or lift them off?

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    What does that wing actually do? Keep the rear wheels on the ground, or lift them off?
    I think it only obstructs windflow. If you drive speeds like Richard Petty drove, it might have an effect.

And it looks cool!

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Are they a local company?
    Madison Heights

http://www.hppcars.com/

The wing increases traction at the rear by putting down force on the rear axle,
    But only above 120 MPH.
    Plymouth made 1920 Superbirds for sale to the public, so the car was legal for NASCAR competition.
    Chrysler also entered Aero cars like the Dodge Charger 500 and the Dodge Daytona, wich looked much like the Superbird, in NASCAR competition, and really pissed off GM and Ford. And led to NASCAR banning cars like this.
    The cars were built as regular Road Runners at Hamtramck or Lynch Road, And shipped to Creative Industries in East Detroit Mi. where the rear window plug and nose and wing were installed. Creative also converted the Daytona and Charger 500. Many of the Superbirds were converted back to regular Road Runners by the dealerships in order to sell them.

All Superbirds, except the NASCAR cars have vinyl roofs, to hide the body work from altering the rear window.

I now live about a mile from the place where the cars were converted into Superbirds, it is now a business called Active Foam.

I drove by a business NW of Chicago a few years back...way up near Gurnee, but SW of that town...where they had dozens of fabulous Mopar vehicles, an enormous number were orange.

I'd like to research what the business is...next time I'm through, I'll try to get lost again and find it!

As for the T/A version of the Camaro...that is an abomination, LOL! But then again, GM killing off Pontiac was way worse...

having driven a 69 daytona, i can say that the wing/nose does work.. doing 130 down 96 the car kept hunkerin lower n lower...ah, the stupidity of youth.....

It can be fugly and WAY COOL at the same time. I like the blue one better. That new Challenger still has limitless possibilities! Sweet ride and glad its local!

One of those possibilities being a convertible version.
    Come on Dodge, this a no-brainer!

Nice to see the proud PLYMOUTH brand emblazoned on the side of a car!