Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Christian Science Church on Kercheval

Does anyone have any information on who designed the Art Deco/Moderne Sixth Christian Science Church on Kercheval?

Are you talking about the Unitarian church on Maume? Just can't place anything like you are talking about on Kercheval.

It is this beauty. I am amazed at the quality of all Christian Science churches, most strikingly the First Church which is now the Hillberry Theater. The congregations obviously had quiet deep pockets.

One of the most impressive CS churches in Detroit was 2nd Church of CS on the west side of East Grand Boulevard just north of Jefferson. That edifice was large, well designed architecturally, and convenient.

Christian Science attracted a large number of upper middle class adherents.

Unfortunately, the religion is losing members at a rapid rate and is significant only in California. I believe that 6th church is closed or is closing soon, the last of the ten Detroit city churches. Many of the suburban churches have closed as well.

My parents and grandparents were Christian Scientists and I attended Sunday School in turn at 6th Church, 2nd Church, and 10th Church [[McNicholls just west of Gratiot and the least impressive of the Detroit churches).

The Unitarian Universalist Churches are growing strong. The But Christian Science Churches is losing members due to middle class flight, lack of saving the lost, dogmatic individualism, Catholicism, Islam, Baptists and other NEW pagan cults. The best way to keep the church strong to seeking new converts. Just go out into the world and spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Tell the world that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost is real and truthful. Satan is always deciever and LIAR! He would do whatever in its power to shut the Church and any religion down. So keep fighting that priciple. I don't like to see the Christian Science Church becoming extinct. It's like everyone try to prove God is a liar, but he's not. Keep supporting your religion and your beliefs.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

Becuase the Lord is REAL for Neda's sake.

Christian Science is not a mainstream Protestant denomination. I believe CS is non-trinitarian and is considered a cult by most Christian churches. Their basic philosophy is that evil and sickness do no actually exist, that only good really exists. Evil is simply a manifestation of the mortal mind and when the mortal mind thought processes are correct, there should be no illness or evil. Something to that effect. I think it's just a philosphy that has faded away with time and few people any longer find it appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Christian Science is not a mainstream Protestant denomination. I believe CS is non-trinitarian and is considered a cult by most Christian churches. Their basic philosophy is that evil and sickness do no actually exist, that only good really exists. Evil is simply a manifestation of the mortal mind and when the mortal mind thought processes are correct, there should be no illness or evil. Something to that effect. I think it's just a philosphy that has faded away with time and few people any longer find it appealing.
    The Trinity was recognized by the basic Tenets of the Christian Science Church. I believe that "philosophy" rather than "cult" best describes the movement as the general level of education an social status among Christian Scientists was well above the general population. As noted, it has lost its appeal from the days of its peak among the population.

Life is a mirror and will reflect back to the thinker what he thinks into it.
    - Ernest Holmes

There is a power for good in the universe greater than you are and you can use it.- Ernest Holmes

The problem of evil will continue to be a problem just as long as we believe in it. Good will appear only as we embody it. Each soul has within a sure test, a something which directs and guides it. This Something is the Spirit of God and It knows no evil.
    As there is no sin but a mistake, so there is no punishment AMEN Ernest!!!

In these days of Republican brain disintegration [[since they are at war with evolution) the name "Christian Science Church" takes the irony cake.

I can now answer my own question. The Sixth Christian Science Church, located on Kercheval, was built in 1938-9 and designed by George D. Mason & Company, Architects.

For anyone who has ever visted the Back Bay section of Boston... there is the First Church of Christ Scientist... also called the "Mother Church" founded by Mary Baker Eddy back in 1894, and a newer domed Mother Church of 1906 that is huge. There is also a library and a tall office tower, plus landscaping and reflecting pools. It is almost like a USA version of Vatican City...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fir...ist,_Scientist

Visitors are most welcome there... and one of the most interesting features about the center is the Mapparium...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapparium

This particular church is on Kercheval between Ashland and Manistique two blocks from Grosse Pointe.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    This particular church is on Kercheval between Ashland and Manistique two blocks from Grosse Pointe.
    Yes. I saw that imposing building on Kercheval surround by now urban prairie and tried to imagine what the neighborhood was like when it was built. I wonder why that location. It isn't really on a main thoroughfare. Anyone know the history of that area?

Up until 10th Church was formed, 6th Church pretty much covered the far east side [[and probably had a lot of members from the Pointes).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    For anyone who has ever visted the Back Bay section of Boston... there is the First Church of Christ Scientist... also called the "Mother Church" founded by Mary Baker Eddy back in 1894, and a newer domed Mother Church of 1906 that is huge. There is also a library and a tall office tower, plus landscaping and reflecting pools. It is almost like a USA version of Vatican City...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fir...ist,_Scientist

Visitors are most welcome there... and one of the most interesting features about the center is the Mapparium...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapparium
    Thank you, Gistok, for the excellent citation of The Mother Church!!
    This inspired edifice contains one of the world's great musical pipe
    organs:

Read more at: http://christianscience.com/church-of-christ-scientist/the-mother-church-in-boston-ma-usa/explore-the-christian-science-plaza/music-on-the-plaza/pipe-organs-of-the-mother-church

Recordings of the TMC organ are widely available - I have heard it - spectacular!!

I grew up on Alter between Vernor & Charlevoix in the 1950s and walked to the Albert Ives Elementary School [[on Phillip between Kercheval & Jefferson - built in 1911, since demolished) on a daily basis. This church even then seemed too grand for the surrounding neighborhood of tightly packed, wood framed working class homes. My school mates who lived on Alter that didn't attend Ives generally went to St. Ambrose [[we would part company at Kercheval & Alter) My friend's Aunt Lil lived in the apartment building that still stands on the west side of that corner. Every store on my walk was occupied as well as the apartments above them. I don't recall any gaps in the store frontage which included a Wilson's Dairy soda fountain, Nash Rambler auto dealer [[the existing parts store) Food Fair supermarket [[also still standing) cleaners, shoe repair shop, and Pillar Bowling Alley. There were no doubt many others that I can't remember. I haven't noticed the construction date of the church, but to answer your question, in the 1950s Kercheval was indeed a main thoroughfare.