Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Charlie Rangel Censured!

Charlie Rangel has been censured by his colleagues in congress. What exactly does this mean? Will they shut him up for a certain period of time? Does he pay fines? Does he give up benefits and perks? Can he run for office again? Does he lose his retirement? Hmmmm. I'll bet it means none of the above. This is a mock trial - a showcase by congress to make us believe they really police their own. Much like self-regulation by corporations. I think his actions were criminal. If he wasn't in congress, he'd likely face trial and imprisonment. But, he is in congress. We would probably go to jail for the same violations of the law. Congress makes the laws but doesn't apply them to their own.

I used to really admire him at one time. Finding out he's a whore is bad.

I believe Charlie Rangel being censured means that he has to stand in front of his fellow Congresspeople while Nancy Pelosi yells at him and tells him that he was acting bad. End of censureship. No fines. No prosecution. No loss of benefits.

I don't know if I'd call Charlie a whore. Rather a tax cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    I don't know if I'd call Charlie a whore. Rather a tax cheat.
    I think it is more accurate to describe him as an arrogant, hypocritical tax cheat who used to be the powerful chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee. Come January, he is going to be just another non-ranking member of the minority party in the House and if he is ever again mentioned in a news article, it will include the reminder that he was the first House member to be censured in the last 27 years and only the fifth in the last one hundred years.

It's about time Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi made good on her 2006 promise to "drain the swamp". What took her so long? I predict that this will be Charlie's last term in office. His constituents deserve better representation.

It's about time Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi made good on her 2006 promise to "drain the swamp".
    It only took her 4 years!
    Now maybe she will follow through on her other promise of having her secret,
    common sense plan to reduce the cost of energy.....

gdogslim Guest

Good, She didn't have the guts to expel him. What about the rest of the scum in the swamp Nancy like you said.

I think I used the term arrogant to describe Rep. Rangel. Here's evidence of his attitude on display at the press conference following his censure vote:

REPORTER: What's your response to those who say if you were an average citizen, you would be punished more severely?

RANGEL: "I don't deal in average American citizens"

[VIDEO]

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I think I used the term arrogant to describe Rep. Rangel. Here's evidence of his attitude on display at the press conference following his censure vote:

REPORTER: What's your response to those who say if you were an average citizen, you would be punished more severely?

RANGEL: "I don't deal in average American citizens"

[VIDEO]
    Thanks. That could easily be coming out of the mouth of anyone in congress.

Not a word about Tom DeLay going to the big house? Talk about arrogance.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/rich...le-prison-term

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Not a word about Tom DeLay going to the big house? Talk about arrogance.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/rich...le-prison-term
    In an interview after his conviction, Delay said something to the effect of , 'I'm a victim of the criminalization of politics'. And of course, who would know more about criminalizing politics than one of the all time masters himself. DeLay popped his head out of his Alice In Wonderland hole long enough to come up with that one.

Casting onesself as victim is the popular tactic of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Casting onesself as victim is the popular tactic of the day.
    And our politicians of both parties excell at casting themselves as victims.