Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    END the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Cut defense spending. Close Guantanamo and conduct fair trials for the supposed terrorists, if in fact all detainess are terrorists, which some of them may or may not be. Impose DADT much like Truman imposed integration a half century ago. Protect SS and Medicare and their funding sources. Fer krist sakes what good does it do to pass a questionable medical care reform bill if you're going to cut medicare? Repeal trillions of dollars of tax cuts Bush implemented a decade ago. Pass additional unemployment compensation and for real foreclosure and bankruptcy assistance,
    I've always had a soft spot in my heart for benevolent dictators, I think you would make a great one !

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Obama is FAR froma centrist....or at least he was.....after shoving that Obamacare down our thoats, that is what did him in and why the elections went the way they did. Unless he can compromise with the Republicans for the next two years AND the economy imporoves, he will not win in my opionion.....again just an opinion.
    His only real hope would be for Palin to actually get the nomination, which won't happen, in which case he will win.....you know what they say.....which is the lessor of two evils.
    Interesting comments, first thought is How do you compromise with someone with who doesn't want to compromise ? second thought is do you know what Obama care is and what is exactly being shoved down your throat.

How many times must one say the Repubs are not the loyal opposition helping to govern the country, they want to destroy Obama's presidency, and get back in power. And if they hold the middle class hostage... so be it

Some comments from a Newsweek article about Obama's situation

"Obama wants to be above politics, but now’s the time to get in the mosh pit and play politics as though his presidency depended on it—because it does.
    Obama’s policies saved the American car industry, kept thousands of teachers and first responders on the job, delivered tax cuts for 95 percent of workers, and are closing the infamous “doughnut hole” for seniors, but who would know? The GOP’s current policies for the economy will do nothing to invigorate the recovery and could stall it if they continue to block the extension of unemployment benefits to some 40 million Americans who are out of work. Everybody knows what the Republicans want; there’s no mystery. Obama is the solo operator tacking about in the hope of finding an elusive consensus. He didn’t like playing the game as a candidate, and he appears to like it less as president, but the rest of us are craving the leadership we know he’s capable of, and time is running out."

The question remains, will Obama cave

"MoveOn.org is running ads with the theme “Bring Obama Back,” calling on the president to “be the president we fought to elect” and to hold firm on his promise to end tax breaks for the richest Americans.
    The problem is that Democrats aren’t unified, and Obama lacks the 60 votes in the Senate to break a filibuster, so if he stands his ground, he’s likely to lose."

So thats why Obama will probably cave

gdogslim Guest

Obama did cave, after Reynaldo Decerega elbowed him and busted his lip.

I don't know if this could be a case of President Obama caving in but in his campaign, Senator Obama made some noises against NAFTA. This was contradicted by leaked reports that Senator Obama had reassured the Canadian Prime Minister that his anti-NAFTA remarks were just for public consumption on the campaign trail.

The BBC today is reporting that President Obama has worked out a 'free' trade agreement with South Korea. This sounds more like another NAFTA like agreement in which production drifts off to where labor is cheaper.

US South Korea free trade deal a 'win-win'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11921189

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I don't know if this could be a case of President Obama caving in but in his campaign, Senator Obama made some noises against NAFTA. This was contradicted by leaked reports that Senator Obama had reassured the Canadian Prime Minister that his anti-NAFTA remarks were just for public consumption on the campaign trail.

The BBC today is reporting that President Obama has worked out a 'free' trade agreement with South Korea. This sounds more like another NAFTA like agreement in which production drifts off to where labor is cheaper.

US South Korea free trade deal a 'win-win'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11921189
    Obama has to address exports. As Obama says the US cannot continue to be the Worlds consumer and borrowing money to do so. That being said, there needs to be a long term strategy put in place that will address our trade problems. This agreement to me is just a band-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Obama has to address exports. As Obama says the US cannot continue to be the Worlds consumer and borrowing money to do so. That being said, there needs to be a long term strategy put in place that will address our trade problems. This agreement to me is just a band-aid.
    Oh, good. Although NAFTA and GATT have done little for US autoworkers, a free trade agreement with South Korea will somehow have a different result? Who knows? Maybe you are right and this time an such an agreement will have the opposite result. Let's keep doing things that don't work over and over in the hope our luck will change. Maybe we could sell more grain to South Korea in exchange for more Korean manufactured products. I don't mean to just blame Obama. i am sure many Republicans would also support this boon to importers and exporters.

Oladub's stock picks: go long Hyundai, short US dollars

Agreed. While are salved and soothed in the dem/ republican elitist inspired partisan loyalty game and battle for superficial spoils the WORLD is marching forward and we are being left behind. Indeed we will be addressed by China on several levels very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wow... this thread is quite civil.....

It doesn't matter if we're right leaning or left leaning... it appears that we agree that we are heading down the wrong path.... in a few years China will be looking at us in their rear view mirror... and if the PBS commentators are correct, by mid century so will India....

Maybe keeping us separated into opposing camps is what the game plan is....

Neither of these options are good IMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    If Palin gets the nomination, we're toast, because it would either mean that she will become president, or Obama will get a 2nd term.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I've always had a soft spot in my heart for benevolent dictators, I think you would make a great one !
    Thank you. Benevolent emphasized.

I think I hear a big rumbling sound as we speak. It must be a 'Cave In'. It is! And there's going to be a replay of the Clinton presidency - move over righties, we're [[DNC) coming home.

nObama is more interested in confronting and debating his demican and independent supporters than he is in taking on the republicrats. What a mess. Stand up el presidente!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    I agree with this statement. Obama should have seen the writing on the wall and rammed his program through the Congress, regardless of whatever Tried and Failed ideas the Corporate Robots reiterated. Because of Obama's willingness to share his toys with the spoiled brats on the Right, we get nothing but watered-down economic stimulus and watered-down healthcare. Oh, and never mind that the nation will be entirely ungovernable the next two years. You ain't seen nothin yet.
    Most of the Congress was right of center. And the center has shifted to the right at least in Congress and among the people who vote regularly.
    http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/12/07-1
    In the 111th Congress, which encompasses 2009 and 2010, the Democrats have had what looked like a massive House majority, with almost 40 extra votes to spare. Even so, to pass any legislation, they needed at least some votes from those conservative Blue Dogs, 52 votes strong. The math gave the Blue Dog coalition significant leverage in shaping the final versions of bills and, when the Blue Dogs stood together, a virtual veto on any measure. That power garnered them significant interest - and campaign cash - from a variety of industries whose fortunes would be impacted by any congressional action....

[We need to get big money out of our elections. Otherwise our democracy is a sham.

Popular Neo-Con Charles Krauthammer thinks Obama swindled the Repubs and the Dems didn't even realize what he did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=nl_pmopinions

I dont see how a deal to extend tax cuts for everyone for 2 years in exchange for 200 Billion in new spending is a good deal for America. There should be no new spending by the Government whatsoever. How is deepening our dive into the red good for anyone?

Well kids, it's happened again. nObama and the demicans have given up the ship to the pirates. I'm not suggesting that the pirates are only republicrats because crooks usually can't pull a heist without an accomplice. The demicans have served their role once again. After a huge majority for two years and the white house firmly in their control, the demicans did very little and have now acceded to their brothers in crime - their Siamese twins - the republicrats. We now have two more years of tax cuts for the richest, whom ?both? parties represent. nObama has lied to us once again - these tax cuts are a ?stimulus? package? Are 99'ers going to get additional benefits. Not likely. Will Social Security be negatively affected. Most likely. We got scammed. nObama and the dems are losers. But we're the ones who will suffer. At least the republicrats have the b+^ls to say right up front what they want and what they intend to do. Hateful and ugly as it may be. The demicans, well.............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2