Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default high school closings

Hello everyone: It's been a while since I last visited. I got an email yesterday from
    my sister in Sedona[[Mumford 01/57) regarding an article about plans for the
    city to spend 50mill$ to tear down & rebuild a new& improved Mumford. Anyone
    know any details. Also anything about plans for my h.s. Cooley.
    P.S. Happy Hanukah to all

Cooley has closed for good and is up for sale. Mumford is slated to get a new building and the old one will be town down. You can visit detroitk12.org and look under the Construction Project to find out more info on what is going to happen and when.

I keep reading all these threads about the school closings and demolitions numbering in the hundreds and I have to ask, where the heck are kids going to school there these days? Or aren't there enough kids living in town to be concerned with schools?

Detroit has lost a lot of population but may Detroit school children attend [[mediocre) charter schools or suburban districts that are now open.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I keep reading all these threads about the school closings and demolitions numbering in the hundreds and I have to ask, where the heck are kids going to school there these days? Or aren't there enough kids living in town to be concerned with schools?
    In 1953, when I went to Denby High School, there were 4,500 students in the school. Today, Denby has an enrollment of about 1,600. DPS never shrunk their physical plant very much as the number of students declined [[don't want all of those principals and their assistants to lose their jobs). Bob-bob is now forcing them to "bite the bullet" and bring the physical plant in line with the enrollment and hopefully shrink the number of administrators on the payroll.