Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snyder may open Detroit office that will focus on 'urban affairs' across Michigan

Michigan Governor-elect Rick Snyder says he is working on plans to open an "urban affairs" office in Detroit.

Speaking Wednesday with WJR-AM 760 host Frank Beckmann, Snyder said he'd like the office to work on issues relevant to cities across the state, "but have the good people in Detroit showing leadership on that."

"That's not a finalized decision," he said, "but it's kind of the direction I'm heading. The cities overall are important, with Detroit being the premiere situation. Because again, we need Detroit to be world class again."

Unlike fellow Republicans who in the past seemed to concede the city to their Democratic opponents, Snyder regularly campaigned in Detroit and repeatedly tied the state's recovery to the health of its largest urban centers.

"With vibrant cities that have both economic opportunity and offer a great quality of life, our state will be positioned as a world leader again," he said on a section of his website explaining his central cities policy, which stressed the need to control urban sprawl, curb unhealthy regional competition, combat poverty and invest in infrastructure.

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ng_statew.html

On a similar note, here's another article about Snyder/Detroit:

Five immediate issues facing Michigan Governor-elect Rick Snyder in Detroit

Governor-elect Rick Snyder said it early and often on the campaign trail: "Michigan cannot be a great state until Detroit is on the path to being a great city." But before he has the chance to implement a long-term urban strategy, there are several immediate issues he may need to address.

The Detroit News highlighted three such issues in a piece published this weekend. Below, we expand the discussion and look at what Snyder and others have said in recent months.

1. Governance of the Detroit Public Schools

State-appointed Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb has made big changes in the Detroit Public Schools, but his contract expires in March. Bobb has said he's not interested in staying on another year but feels it would be in the best interest of the district that he continue through the end of the school year. When he goes, it will be Snyder's decision to replace him. Consistent with his general stance on intervention, Snyder has said he'd appoint a replacement so long as there is "a clear exit strategy" for the state to return control of the district to the superintendent and elected school board. Repeatedly stressing the need to avoid a top-down approach in Detroit, Snyder has said he'd prefer the city council and voters decide whether they'd like Mayor Dave Bing to take over control of the district. City council shot down a vote earlier this year, and there has been speculation Lansing could force the issue.

2. Restructuring Detroit Public Schools

Before he bows out, Bobb is proposing the state legislature forgive the district's $332 million deficit in exchange for a dramatic restructuring based on recommendations made in the Obama administration's "Race to the Top" program. Speaking in the wake of Snyder's election victory, Bobb said on NPR that he was preparing to pitch him the idea. "Well, I've had several meetings with the Governor-elect Snyder prior to yesterday's election, and have had - you know, he's visited my office and we've met in a couple of other locations, but he does have an education agenda," he said. "And next week, I intend to present to he and Governor Granholm a plan that would take school districts in Michigan out of the deficit that they're in. And that plan will be, you know, delivered to Governor-elect Snyder and Governor Granholm next week."

3. Threat of bankruptcy

Despite a significantly reduced operating budget and a business-minded mayor, the threat of bankruptcy continues to haunt Detroit. Mayor Dave Bing says the city's deficit is around $85 million, bu the city council's fiscal analyst has said it's probably closer to $125 million. In March, Bing issued $250 million in fiscal stabilization bonds to reduce the city's short-term debt, warning investors in a preliminary offering statement that the city could be forced to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection if the economy did not improve. Asked back in June whether Michigan should hypothetically "bail out" Detroit in the face of bankruptcy, Snyder said it would depend on the terms. "If it's just solving a short-term problem to buy someone some time -- no," he said. "If it's structurally there to develop a long-term plan where we're not putting at risk the other citizens of our state in a sound financial manor -- the answer is yes." However, Snyder said this month that he will make "no promises" about keeping Detroit from bankruptcy, but said it is "clearly the goal."

4. Detroit-Windsor bridge

Legislation that would allow Michigan to join a public-private partnership to construct and operate a second bridge connecting Detroit and Windsor remains stuck in the state Senate, and Majority Leader Mike Bishop says there will not be a vote this year. That means the decision will fall on the next Congress. An endorsement from Rick Snyder would certainly go a long way, but he remained relatively non-committal on the campaign trail, saying he would support the plan if taxpayers would not be held liable. Supporters say toll revenue will eventually cover building costs, but critics argue that isn't realistic. Former Gov. James Blanchard, a paid consultant for the Michigan Department of Transportation, told the Windsor Star he's optimistic Snyder will back the bridge, noting the governor-elect is surrounding himself with other DRIC supporters.

5. Regional Transportation Authority

Like DRIC, legislation to create a new regional transit authority in Metro Detroit is sitting in Lansing awaiting action. Introduced by Detroit Rep. Bert Johnson in 2009, the bill would create a transportation authority initially serving Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties. Johnson told the News he hopes Snyder operates with an open-door policy so they can discuss the matter in more detail. "He spent a good amount of time here [[during the campaign," he said. "I am going to take him at his action so far." The American Public Transportation Association says that among the nation's 39 largest metropolitan areas, Detroit is the only one that does not have a regional transportation network. Snyder has said the state must develop a long-range transportation plan "that includes mass transit without increasing the burden on taxpayers." According to a state House analysis, the legislation "does not appear to have a direct impact on state revenue or expense" but will cost local agencies depending on their ability to combine the regional service with local systems, such as SMART.

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._facing_m.html

I like Snyder because he comes across as a person who wants us to work together to solve problems, as opposed to pointing fingers at each other. It's easy for me to write out a laundry list of people who are at fault for Detroit's demise, but it is much harder for me to roll up my sleeves and get ready to dig in to help Detroit and the metro community. However, the finger pointing is not what Detroit and Michigan needs, what we need are the ones with innovative ideas, work ethic, and a willingness to get things done. I think Snyder has great potential and I am looking forward to see what he can make happen. Finally a politician that considers all of us as "us" instead of "them".

That nerd is going to ruin everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I like Snyder because he comes across as a person who wants us to work together to solve problems, as opposed to pointing fingers at each other. It's easy for me to write out a laundry list of people who are at fault for Detroit's demise, but it is much harder for me to roll up my sleeves and get ready to dig in to help Detroit and the metro community. However, the finger pointing is not what Detroit and Michigan needs, what we need are the ones with innovative ideas, work ethic, and a willingness to get things done. I think Snyder has great potential and I am looking forward to see what he can make happen. Finally a politician that considers all of us as "us" instead of "them".
    Exactly. He's also a resident -- and will remain a resident -- of one of Michigan's most desirable communities. I have my issues with Tree Town, but I will miss the ability to walk to retail, buses that run every 10-15 minutes rain or shine, snow or sleet, maintained city-scaled parks within older infrastructure, and living in a community where there are people with a range of incomes. [[Before I moved up here, I thought that A2 was sort of like Grosse Pointe or Birmingham.)

People say that Ann Arbor is a college town and therefore not a model for revitalizing a city, but every major metropolis in the Northeast and Midwest has an Ann Arbor equivalent within city limits. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm glad our new governor lives where he does -- Snyder may understand that not everyone's dream is to live in sprawl "with all the charm of a fancy truck stop."

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    People say that Ann Arbor is a college town and therefore not a model for revitalizing a city, but every major metropolis in the Northeast and Midwest has an Ann Arbor equivalent within city limits. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm glad our new governor lives where he does -- Snyder may understand that not everyone's dream is to live in sprawl "with all the charm of a fancy truck stop."
    I think many of the most successful cities are just larger incarnations of the type of city that Ann Arbor's policies create [[politics aside). The amount of infill development that has gone on there in the past 5 years is amazing. Ann Arbor should be heavily consulted in the blueprint to fix Detroit.

"I'm glad our new governor lives where he does -- Snyder may understand that not everyone's dream is to live in sprawl "with all the charm of a fancy truck stop.""

What is he as Governor going to be able to do about that?

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think many of the most successful cities are just larger incarnations of the type of city that Ann Arbor's policies create [[politics aside). The amount of infill development that has gone on there in the past 5 years is amazing. Ann Arbor should be heavily consulted in the blueprint to fix Detroit.
    Ann Arbor is just killing the property owners that actually pay taxes because their largest property owner is exempt from paying property taxes.

It's a tough place to do business and because of its size, I wouldn't compare it to Detroit by any stretch of the imagination.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "I'm glad our new governor lives where he does -- Snyder may understand that not everyone's dream is to live in sprawl "with all the charm of a fancy truck stop.""

What is he as Governor going to be able to do about that?
    I also wouldn't consider where Snyder actually lives as apart of a "urban" landscape.

Good golf course and love all the houses in the area but he really doesn't live anywhere "walkable"

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    Ann Arbor is just killing the property owners that actually pay taxes because their largest property owner is exempt from paying property taxes.

It's a tough place to do business and because of its size, I wouldn't compare it to Detroit by any stretch of the imagination.
    How are they killing current property owners? I can see how their policies would make it harder for potential real estate investors to enter the market, but considering the current economic climate that is not a bad thing right now.

It's a tough place to do business
    Yeah, nobody wants to do business in Ann Arbor. That's why it's such a ghost town.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Yeah, nobody wants to do business in Ann Arbor. That's why it's such a ghost town.
    Now now never said it's a ghost town it is a great place to own a business but starting one and the day to day operations when dealing with the city are quite problematic to say the least

LOL. The only places in Detroit that could function on that model are Wayne State, or the university district. [[Which could use some funding)

Well, I think that the East Riverfront/Villages/Lafayette Park area could develop into something like an artists-and-professionals zone.

Here's the difference between Ann Arbor and here. There isn't this aversion to an increasing number of poor people of color living near prime residential areas, or riding public transportation. When I first moved up there, I was very much in a grad student mindset, but for the last four years, I've been a townie. I got to know more and more people who lived and worked in Washtenaw County that had nothing to do with U of M.

My housemate is an architect who works near Main Street and is a pretty, willowy blonde who grew up upper middle class in the western 'burbs. She would rather sit in the same section of the bus as a homeless person than move her car during the commute. She shares the same sentiment as MILLIONS of young professionals under 40 all over the country, but here in Detroit, we create barriers to attracting young people like that.

One of my sisterfriends from South Central L.A. speaks very highly of Rick Snyder's wife, who was in her Ann Arbor yoga class for several years. What kind of metro Detroit business millionaire's wife is willing to sit through yoga class with Afrocentric sistas from the 'hood? It is not an issue in Ann Arbor, or New York City, or Chicago -- it is an issue in Detroit from BOTH sides. I know this because of my small forays into groups like Detroit Synergy and more recently into Preservation Wayne. My black friends would say that the groups were "too white", just like white metro Detroiters say [[according to my colleague here) that an event, place, or neighborhood is "too dark." Until we get the hell over ourselves, nothing will EVER improve. At least Snyder is making an effort.

BTW, I know that Ann Arbor is a college town, and Detroit is a huge city with many challenges. I know that Chicago and New York are alpha world cities, and Detroit really has never been in the same category. My point is that people's attitudes in those places are different. And attitude is a huge impediment to urban renewal in Detroit.
    Last edited by English; December-02-10 at 01:43 PM.

Getting back on topic.... the best thing for Detroit and other ailing Michigan cities is if Snyder turns out to be another Milliken Republican.... where he can put aside his partisan-ness and work together with all factions to get the state back on its' feet... AND be a friend of the states cities... regardless of which side of the state they're on.

"My point is that people's attitudes in those places are different. And attitude is a huge impediment to urban renewal in Detroit."

All true. But what do you expect the Governor's office to do about that? Not what Synder can say, what he can do? If you've never done it, you should make a trek to Lansing some day when the legislature is in session and bounce some of these ideas off the backbenchers who make up the majority of the representatives. If you're lucky, you'll get blank stares. More likely, you'll get open hostility to these ideas and disdain and insults to the concept that any effort should be made to help urban areas or have urban and suburban communities work together or cooperate on anything.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    My point is that people's attitudes in those places are different. And attitude is a huge impediment to urban renewal in Detroit.
    yes its all about attitude for "urban renewal" in Detroit.

Horrible schools?--you have a bad attitude.
    Can't shop for groceries anywhere?-bad attitude
    Cops don't come when they are called?--bad attitude
    Streets light don't come on?--bad attitude
    Object to sending your wife on a bus with a drunk homeless person next to them?--bad attitude

Well, I'm glad that he is at least making an effort. People asked what a president could do about Detroit's situation, and Clinton was great for Detroit.

Object to sending your wife on a bus with a drunk homeless person next to them?--bad attitude
    Drunk homeless person? That's nothing... last time I was in Chicago, what I strongly believe to be a homeless guy snorted a line of coke off his forearm in the seat across from me on the 'L'. Then another homeless guy hopped on the the train and asked, "anyone got any bud?" We aren't used to it so it scares us, but this happens all over. Just keep to yourself and you won't have any problems.

Funny you mention bad attitiude.... the folks in Alpena still think that Rochester and Grosse Pointe are ghetto.... bad attitude??

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    Drunk homeless person? That's nothing... last time I was in Chicago, what I strongly believe to be a homeless guy snorted a line of coke off his forearm in the seat across from me on the 'L'. Then another homeless guy hopped on the the train and asked, "anyone got any bud?" We aren't used to it so it scares us, but this happens all over. Just keep to yourself and you won't have any problems.
    first off-- if a homeless guy can afford blow I doubt he is "homeless"

Secondly--Yes I keep to myself--in my car

I brought up the homeless person on the bus because Madam English used that as an example of how much her "roommate" hates using her car.

I am quite used to homeless people, crackheads etc--I am[[unfortunately) well acquainted with the goings on at peterboro and 2nd.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Funny you mention bad attitiude.... the folks in Alpena still think that Rochester and Grosse Pointe are ghetto.... bad attitude??

Having spent many weekends in Atlanta, I highly doubt that anyone from Alpena thinks Grosse Pointe and Rochester are "Ghetto"

Having spent many weekends in Atlanta, I highly doubt that anyone from Alpena thinks Grosse Pointe and Rochester are "Ghetto"
    No, I actually have friends in both areas who's relatives in Alpena are afraid to come down to visit... fearing that they'd be visiting the ghetto... they had to be coaxed to come for a visit. Not everyone outstate is as well traveled as many metro Detroiters...

Also, remember there's a lot of folks living past 30 Mile Rd.... that boast they haven't been to Detroit in 20 years!

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Also, remember there's a lot of folks living past 30 Mile Rd.... that boast they haven't been to Detroit in 20 years!
    Thankfully, such people are extremely easy to avoid as long as one lives and works in the city.

The point about out-staters having a dismal view of Detroit is by and large true. My brother in law is from Harrison and now lives in Mt. Pleasant, and he told me recently that people where he grew up think of Detroit as being "anything south of Lansing." He wasn't exaggerating. And it's a terrible image they have of the entire region. But he and I came downtown this past summer and he left with a completely different, and vastly improved, impression of the city. The city's marketing arm [[does it even have one?) might learn something from that story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast