2 2.38%
  • Every once in a while

24 28.57%
  • This one time...

30 35.71%
  • Never

24 28.57%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Have you ever done triple digits on Metro Detroit Freeways?

There is another thread where somebody posted footage from a Bull Run race on I-94 from 2006. A good amount of the comments were along the lines of "OMG, how could somebody speed like that on the freeway"?

Whether it was in mom's station wagon or the exotic parked in your garage right now, I'd be willing to bet a large percentage of Metro Detroiters have exceeded 100MPH on one of our freeways. There are places where a top speed run can be performed, other places where speeding can happen as long as there isn't a cop around the bend [[or parked on the on-ramp or at the top of the hill) and other places where you can just gun it for a half mile.

I am not saying it's right or that I encourage it. Just wanted to know how many of you have done triple digits.
    Last edited by xphillipjrx; December-01-10 at 01:15 AM.

I've gone over 100 mph before. It was on my unofficial list of things I always wanted to do just to say I did it, but I was afraid of causing an accident, getting a ticket, damaging my car somehow, etc. One day a few years ago, I was with a friend driving somewhere on I-94. I decided it was going to be the day that I was going to push it to the limit, but some factors had to be ideal:
    1. Straight stretch of freeway
    2. Light traffic, no other vehicles nearby
    3. No police around
    4. There had to be a concrete barrier in the median instead of grass in case a police car was travelling in the opposite direction, saw us speeding excessively and decided to cut through the median to turn around.

I haven't gone that fast since that day. I try to keep it at about 5 over the limit.

I have once in Detroit in a rental.

But the first time I did it was over here in Windsor on EC Row. It was 01:30, noone on the road, by myself, and I guess I just wanted to watch the speedometer in a 1992 4 door Ford Tempo GL hit 185 kph. So what's that....115 mph? Suprisingly stable at those speeds and she was still pullin', but that's where I stopped. Of course, had I needed to make a correction of any real signifigance, I would have been dead no question about it.

A while afterwards, I remember watching Channel 4 news, I think. I don't remember the circumstances, but I rememeber video of large SUV that had been just ripping down one of your freeways, lost control and hit the wall right on it's side, leaving the MOST chilling mark on the wall I've ever seen. It was, in every way, an image of the profile of the SUV, as if it had been drawn on the concrete wall with black sidewalk chalk. Windows, rims, trim, door handles.....everything. If I'm remembering right, the circles representing the rims were more than 2 feet off the road as well.

Slowed myself down after that one for a while.

Anyone remember this?

Should this thread be merged with the Congratulations Supersport thread? LOL.

I'm a 'never'. Laws of physics and my innate distrust of engineering, manufacturing and the state of our roads keep me under 85 tops and that only because cars now run so quietly that it can sneak up on me. Only in a dire emergency would I consider going that fast.

My dad used to work for a firm that helped design the original Vipers...let's just say between me and the Viper GTS Hennessey....very very fast.

I've bot driven like that in metro Detroit since the mid 1980's. Last times I really drove fast was racing a bunch of Vipers down I-94 between Benton Harbor and Indiana. They all had Illinois plates. They were shocked to see that my 99 Taurus SE Sport could keep up with them! I also drove fast in Montana, but that was when they had no speed limits.

My first car was a Ford Aerostar minivan. I hit 100 with it one time on the Lodge to see if it was possible. That was stupid, don't be like me, kids.

On a trip out west, we took my friend's SVT Contour up to the rev limiter on a very straight stretch of desert road in New Mexico with no other cars on it. I think it was around 120 or so where it cut off.

I don't think I have ever owned a car that would do that. I have gotten close on I-75 heading north, though, way up north.

When young and dumb, yes a few times.

Speed kills....I should've died in 1972.

JL,

Was that on an early or late SVT? My first-year one...what was it, summer of 1997?...would eagerly rush up to 120, then take its sweet time getting to its TRUE top speed of 145.

Yeah, I did hit that on Detroit's freeways when I owned it. Often. That car tickled my adrenals so much that I turned into a testosterone meathead, occasionally picking fights at red lights just to surprise the next victim with my tail-lights zooming away from them.

I wrote an entire novella on this topic before my coffee a few hours ago. Decided not to put it up here. Suffice to say, I've known the top speed of every one of my vehicles. As soon as I learned about European headlights and driving lights, I always put them onto my cars for better night driving. Same with speed-rated tires, I always buy ONE rate higher than my vehicle's top speed...had an OEM Goodyear dissolve on my Audi in the desert back in October 2001, and that should've been my last speed run [[it was rated for only 120, on a car that was speed-limited at 135!). Same with racing brakes and lines...I keep my vehicles for life, and always upgrade them as budget allows.

Sigh, I drive in the right-hand lane with the cruise set on exactly the speed limit most of the time. But I always know the limits of my vehicles, just in case I need to approach them. Saved my butt driving through the desert to Phoenix late one night, when some pirate in a Mustang GT tried to get me to pull over. He didn't know what an Audi wagon could do on the open road. I did, and got away from him.

Cheers, slow down and leave the passing lane open.

Had a couple of mustangs back in the days when i was stupid, and a scorpio. took each to triple digits. Made it from here to joliet illinois in less than 4 hours once. took the scorpio across pennsylvania at top speed once. got clocked at over 130 in an RX-7 once too.

In the early 70's, 105mph on the Southfield Freeway on my motorcycle. Right through a MSP radar trap. The thought of my bike hanging off the back of a wrecker with the chain crushing the gas tank and me handcuffed in the back of a patrol car made me continue for a short distance. I jumped off and sat on the service drive and watched the trooper zip by. Took the side streets home. Now I drive all my vehicles no more than 5 over.

I had a Dodge Charger in my younger days and always fantasized about going up north near my grandparents property in Onaway where there was little traffic & no cops, putting my pedal to the metal, & seeing if it would really go 125 mph, the top of the speedometer. Unfortunately, too much work made me unable to realize it. A severe rollover accident which caused me to have a miscarriage in 2003 makes me drive the speed limit or under now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    JL,

Was that on an early or late SVT? My first-year one...what was it, summer of 1997?...would eagerly rush up to 120, then take its sweet time getting to its TRUE top speed of 145.
    They only made them from 98 to 2000, right? I believe it was a 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Sigh, I drive in the right-hand lane with the cruise set on exactly the speed limit most of the time.
    I pretty much always drive the speed limit in the right lane now. Mrs. Lodge prefers I just come home rather than come home 5 minutes early.

when I was young and dumb I got pulled over on I-696 and was clocked at 104, it was a 1998 merkur XR4Ti, I used to do it regularly at 3am or so when I would drive home from Ann Arbor.... very few cars on the road....

I was pulled over and stopped right under the bridge for the street names Lois Lane

Mine was a 97 1/2, first one off Taylor Ford's lot, or whatever they are called on Telegraph.

It was a great car. My second favorite of all I've owned, after the Audi wagon.

It would make sense that they'd speed limit the thing after the first few years.

I'm the one laughing at the red-light rushers now, it is seldom even a five minute gain unless you're on the open road. In order to make any time, you need to drive as if you designed the GT40 here, and I think we all agree that is bad behavior.

I don't condone speeding, especially triple-digits within the city limits. It is stupid and anti-social.

I DO think there should be some legal way for enthusiasts to easily get their adrenaline fix...and on the OPEN road, the only limit in the left lane would be to get out of the way of those going faster than you. This country needs an Autobahn.

It would boost the economy in many ways. Hardware sales, insurance, licensing and access fees, and of course petroleum consumption.

But...drivers must qualify to drive above certain speeds, as well as their vehicles...and pay hefty licensing to achieve this status. Conversely, if some drivers don't do well with vision and/or perceptual speed [[or if they drive dangerous hoopties)...they must stay to the far right. What a wonderful world it could be...

Cheers

I find it curious that the majority of folks in our poll admit to driving over 100, some often.

Funny, when I lived in LA...I realized those 'high-speed' chases never really went that fast. Speeds of UP TO 90 mph, give me a break. I was doing that on Mulholland Drive, between curves...while sipping my quad shot espresso!

Davison was made for triple digits ...

No matter HOW fast I drive the Davison, I always get caught at that light on Linwood by the KFC.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    When young and dumb, yes a few times.

Speed kills....I should've died in 1972.
    It's by the grace of God that guys make it out of college alive. I think about the stuff I did in my youth every time I see a story about a carload of kids who did not make it. I was a passenger in a car that went from 10 & Southfield to Markley Hall in 25 minutes.

I grew up in Southfield and the cops were [[are) always parked on the on ramps looking for speeders. As a result, my speeding these days is in bursts rather than setting land speed records. I know exactly where I can go fast and when to slow down.

A 1998 XR4TI? I had thought they stopped making those ni about 1992? I had a 1985 that I loved. Those fuckers could move!

Haha, I like how every once in awhile is tied with once and never. Personally I think it is fun to go fast

Sure, in my DPD days. There'd occasionally be a freeway chase I'd get involved in, but if it got up over 100 [[I can recall two incidents) I'd back off and let the cars up ahead take over. Didn't actually happen all that often, city traffic being what it is.

Got in a couple chases on motorcycle, but those old Harley hogs had to strain their pistons to make 90. And I never pushed it that far, anyway.

In my private vehicle? On my cross country trips I set my cruise control at two miles under the speed limit and enjoy the drive.

When I first got my Passat a year ago I was in the trench on the lodge around 8 mile and no one else was on the road. 110 felt like butter.

Back when I was a little younger and much dumber, yes.

There was one time back in like 2000-ish when they would have I-696 closed on the weekends between Telegraph-Woodward when they replaced the bridge beams on those large overpasses in Oak Park. Well, you could hop on 696 there at either Greenfield or Coolidge and travel Eastbound since it was past the construction zone. So we'd go down there real late at night, like 1-2am and have a completely empty I-696 to ourselves, no traffic, nothing. Needless to say we got some cars going pretty fast down there. All the car-nuts from my school figured it out and started drag racing down there.

There is another area, out on M-14 westbound in the Plymouth area, when you crest that big hill out past Sheldon and there is that long, wide open downhill stretch. Your speed can really creep up on there there, and yes we hit 100 out there too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast