Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    detroitjim Guest

Default Anyone hear what I heard on fox2 news tonight

The lead story on Fox2 @10pm 11-30-2010

Taryn Asher was reporting on the three missing boys from Morenci.[[Indeed very tragic)

At one point I distinctly heard her say "even the boyziz winter coats were still in the house"

Hmmmm ......Maybe she has been spending too much time south of Eight Mile?

Anyone else hear the same thing?

It sounded like a recorded piece . I can't believe that it wasn't caught and corrected.

this is silly.

This is VERY silly. "spending too much time south of Eight Mile?" COME ON!

"Tova girl... did you just hear what I heard.... Yes, Belma... I did.... 3.... 2.... 1.... go!"

"Detroitjim.... I don't know which is redder... the face of the Fox2 station editing folks... or the back of your neck!"

"This is Reality Check.... and we are through...."

checkraisej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    The lead story on Fox2 @10pm 11-30-2010

Taryn Asher was reporting on the three missing boys from Morenci.[[Indeed very tragic)

At one point I distinctly heard her say "even the boyziz winter coats were still in the house"

Hmmmm ......Maybe she has been spending too much time south of Eight Mile?

Anyone else hear the same thing?

It sounded like a recorded piece . I can't believe that it wasn't caught and corrected.
    How would you pronounce the correct form of the word boys'? Are you trying to say that people from south of 8 mile have better than average grammar and prnounciation skills?

detroitjim Guest

this is silly
    This is VERY silly
    It certainly is! Another silly statement came from the police chief of southfield describing the Cronis liquor store murder suspect as a "light skindid male".

I don't know which is redder... the face of the Fox2 station editing folks... or the back of your neck
    The back of MY neck is brown skindid

detroitjim Guest

How would you pronounce the correct form of the word boys'? Are you trying to say that people from south of 8 mile have better than average grammar and prnounciation skills?
    Boyz

Nope,just that Rome must be rubbing off on her.

And the reporter who said he was going to "axe" someone a question.

If memory serves, Lenawee Co is south of 8 Mi. So what's your point?

So's Ohio, but them folks are funny down there.

Exactly. Moreover spending too much time west of the globe ala North America where education in general is 'dumbing' down -- an issue not just related to the D. Dig?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    This is VERY silly. "spending too much time south of Eight Mile?" COME ON!

OK, we see where this is going...
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post

On my side of town, that would be pronounced "ay'-icks".

But yes, this thread is totally mentally ill from conception.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Boyz

Nope,just that Rome must be rubbing off on her.
    Yep, "boyz" is correct, but whoever this Rome character is, it is easy to understand her state of distraction, what with him up to such hi-jinx, and all.

In any case, I think it is fair to say that almost everyone has a grammar dilemma, or two, or more, so it can be helpful, in one's effort to avoid embarrassment, to devise ways around them, especially when one is a broadcaster and preparing one's copy:

"The winter coats belonging to the boys."

However, that ship-- erroneously guided as it was-- has sailed, so my suggestion to Ms. Asher, now, would be to check her coat to make sure that Rome's boys didn't coat said coat while he was engaging in such perfectly awful behavior.

ahahahahahaha ! moved to the non specific topic side...hilar.

I love the English professors on this site.

checkraisej Guest

How would you pronounce the word Jones'? As in, "We are going to the Jones' house"? If it is different than how you would pronounce boys', why would you pronounce it differently?

Ravine Guest

I would pronounce that the same way as with "boys'."
    How we might say that kinda stuff in private talk is one thing, but on-air, or in any other professional situation, that "ziz" sound is to be avoided.
    I'm probably going to piss off some folks here, but the same is true of that "skinneded" bit. That is just plain ignorant, and if folks want to insist on saying it that way, that's their business, but there is no dialectic explanation for it that absolves it of its ignorant sound.
    The fact that there are folks with on-air broadcasting jobs who don't know any better is a disgrace. I think that should be seen as an "OK, we're going to let that one slide, but if it happens again, you are going to be fired" scenario.
    On-air folks goof up all of the time; that's understandable. It ain't easy to be on-air and read, aloud, copy that one may have not had the chance to look over, beyond a quick scanning, before hitting the air-waves with it; but, when you hear someone say, "skinneded," that is not a mistake like a mis-read or mis-pronunciation. That is how that person says that word, it's irredeemably ignorant, and despite the fact that, apparently, there is a place for it on the air-waves, there shouldn't be a place for it.

Maybe the word was written " boys's "in the script.
    I used to be put off by people's use of the word "lay" for the present tense of "lie" meaning to recline. But since most doctors and nurses tell me to "lay down", I've given up. My standard English training is still offended by the word "busted" used on TV news when the proper word should be broken or burst. Is "busted" in the dictionary yet?

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    How would you pronounce the word Jones'? As in, "We are going to the Jones' house"? If it is different than how you would pronounce boys', why would you pronounce it differently?
    You pronounce it differently because you spell it differently. The plural possessive of boys is boys'. The possessive of Jones is Jones's pronounced "Joneses". No one minds giving words like kiss or bus an extra syllable when it is pluralized, but they don't like adding the extra syllable to names ending in "s" when it is made possessive, like
    Jesus's pronounced "Jesuses". They don't even like to add the 's. Instead they treat it as though there were more than one Jesus, i.e., Jesus' words. I blame the print media which has always looked for the shortest way to say anything because space is valuable.

This may all seem picky to some people, but in Europe where knowing more than one language is essential to doing business, people who can't grasp the fundamentals of grammar have a hard time being understood.
    Last edited by maxx; December-02-10 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    How widespread is the use of "f" in place of "th" as in "birfday" and "bafroom"?

Ravine Guest

"...The possessive of Jones is Jones's pronounced "Joneses". No one minds giving words like kiss or bus an extra syllable when it is pluralized,..."

No good. Jones' is correct.
    Pronouncing it as "Joneses" is not so bad, though, because-- unlike "boys'"-- it is not a plural followed by a possessive.
    "Kiss" & "bus" are not plural, so there is nothing odd-sounding about adding the "es."
    Really, while I would find a way around it, I'm OK with "Joneses" for that same reason, but nothing, anywhere, at any time, can redeem "boys'es."

In my view, there is nothing linguistically superior about Europe, but there is something linguistically inferior about some folks in these parts, that inferiority being the apparent insistence on mis-pronouncing certain things [["f" instead of "th," "ax" instead of "ask.")
    In my view, if one knows the correct spelling, is aware of the correct pronunciation, and does not have any speech impediments which cause certain sounds to be difficult to deliver, the insistence on saying stuff the wrong way is nothing other than that which my brother likes to call "aggressive ignorance."
    There is nothing intrinsically valuable about being different, but if "being different" is so meaningful, for a person, that the person is willing to sound dim-witted and/or poorly-educated, well, go for it, I say, but keep in mind that you are affixing a label to yourself.

And the "dialect" defense is weak. To employ one of my son's favorite terms, "maximum fail" on that defense.

checkraisej Guest

"We are going to the Jones' house."
    "We are going to the boys' house."

Spelled the same. Apostrophe is the same. Everything else is the same, why would the pronunciation be different?

In tune with the original post, you would be amazed at the things reporters and anchors hear from the public. And the public is, for the most part, dog shit stupid. People will come up and tell journalists things that they wouldn't even think of saying to another human that wasn't on TV. Things like,

"Wow, are you pregnant or something?".

"The clothes you're wearing today make you look fat".

"Hey stupid, you mispronounced a word". [[Like boys').

Just last night a meteorologist was telling me that she got an email during the 11pm news from some guy telling her that her outfit made her look like a monk. She sent an email back thanking him for the kind observation. He emailed back apologizing, saying that he didn't mean any offense. Well then, what the fuck did you mean, asshole?

detroitjim Guest

people who can't grasp the fundamentals of grammar have a hard time being understood.
    but there is something linguistically inferior about some folks in these parts, that inferiority being the apparent insistence on mis-pronouncing certain things [["f" instead of "th," "ax" instead of "ask.")
    in my view, if one knows the correct spelling, is aware of the correct pronunciation, and does not have any speech impediments which cause certain sounds to be difficult to deliver, the insistence on saying stuff the wrong way is nothing other than that which my brother likes to call "aggressive ignorance."
    there is nothing intrinsically valuable about being different, but if "being different" is so meaningful, for a person, that the person is willing to sound dim-witted and/or poorly-educated, well, go for it, i say, but keep in mind that you are affixing a label to yourself.

And the "dialect" defense is weak. To employ one of my son's favorite terms, "maximum fail" on that defense.
    perfect!!!!!
    Last edited by detroitjim; December-02-10 at 07:19 PM.

Dear linguistic scholars,

Is "codespeak" supposed to be one word or two? Just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast