Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Abolish the MLCC?

I'd like Rick Snyder, if he's truly committed to an improved small business environment in Michigan, to abolish the MLCC. The MLCC is a huge, monolithic bureaucracy, established during a long-ago era to serve long-ago needs. The MLCC answers to no one but itself - not even state legislators. They may call upon the MLCC on a citizen's behalf, but aren't likely to ever intervene for fear of upsetting the MLCC and it's employees. MLCC hearings are attended by state lawyers and defendent's lawyers, oft times costing small businesses huge fees. They have their own set of rules and laws that don't apply in other courts in Michigan, so you're almost required to have legal representation, even for minor matters. Why not give a portion of MLCC's budget to local courts to hold their own hearings, say in district courts? Why have early 19th century style control over the sales and distribution of alcohol? Why not buy from an array of retailers and distributors, say the corner store and liquor outlets, much like Illinois? The present day MLCC is a huge income generator for the state. Not that that's completely bad. But they have unquestioned ability to regulate and fine. That is certainly not good. I've suggested that the State of Michigan appoint each licensee an advocate during the application and hearings process to assure fairness and accuracy. Give me your opinions, educated, legal, or not, to help me figure this out. Maybe even a severely down-sized MLCC would work better. Thanks.

lilpup Guest

Alcohol is inexpensive enough and easy enough to get in the state. There's no reason to loosen any restraints on it, especially if doing so costs the state money.

If anything, take some of the revenue it generates and somehow apply it to force down insurance rates for those of us who don't imperil the general public [[or its collective wallet) with drunken behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    The Chaldeans would fight it tooth and nail. Anything that would make the process "easier" would also devalue the price of a liquor license.
    That might be a good point. Let's hear more about the values of liquor licenses increasing or decreasing, the possible increase/decrease in sales and the possible savings due to the ease of doing business my idea might bring about.

Maybe some people don't know what the MLCC is. I'm talking about the Michigan Liquor License Commission.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Maybe some people don't know what the MLCC is. I'm talking about the Michigan Liquor License Commission.
    Shit, the first thing they should do then is change their acronym to MLLC.

Isn't it Michigan Liquor Control Commission?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Isn't it Michigan Liquor Control Commission?
    Correct! That's it. Come on nerd, give me some feedback.

You are probably the only one here that knows what you're talking about, Skip. It just doesn't really effect the rest of us, at least in a perceivable way. We go to the store or bar and buy some booze, and that's about the extent of our relationship with this topic. The prices don't seem unreasonable in most cases, so we aren't up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    You are probably the only one here that knows what you're talking about, Skip. It just doesn't really effect the rest of us, at least in a perceivable way. We go to the store or bar and buy some booze, and that's about the extent of our relationship with this topic. The prices don't seem unreasonable in most cases, so we aren't up in arms.
    Yes, I think you're correct.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; December-01-10 at 04:53 PM.