Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Dan Drotar

Default Dan Drotar

I don't know if anyone here knows Dan Drotar. He might of participated in these forums. Well, he passed away yesterday at age 55 of cancer.

Dan was a Ford Motor Company retiree, a very talented photographer, world traveler, arts/music/architecture supporter, music lover and Detroit lover. As a resident of Wyandotte, he was their best promoter and assisted in selecting the bands for the art fair. He was also a big Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions and Detroit Red Wings fan.

His Facebook page has 1500 friends with many of these people only being online friends. Yet as of last month he traveled to Scandinavia with friends. Approximately three weeks ago Dan did a music photo shoot of a group of musicians playing on the Mitch Albom show. Two weeks ago today he posted on FB that his last test results were not good and that arrangements were being made for hospice. Last Tuesday, he wished me a happy birthday on Facebook. On Thanksgiving he posted a photo of himself and girlfriend. Friday, I think he was still posting music for us. Saturday, no word. Sunday evening his family and closest friends posted news of his condition. Yesterday morning he passed away.

He had taken some interested photographs of Lincoln Park's historic buildings and buildings with architectural character. You can view those photos here: Dan Drotar photos

Services are as follows:

Wednesday 4-9 pm - Memorial Service
    H.F. Thon Funeral Home
    2760 Biddle
    Wyandotte, MI 48192
    Thursday 10 am - Mass
    St Charles Church
    8109 Swan Creek Rd
    Newport, MI 48166

A very sad day for Downriver. Always enjoyed talking music with him.

My heart does out to the family and thousands of friends of Dan Drotar. His tireless work to make Detriots music scene will be greatly missed. I hope someone carry's on where Dan left off in his memory.

Craig Kelley
    Former Mayor of Knoxville Iowa

I, too, hope that there is someone to carry on where Dan left off. His photos are awesome.