Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Royal Oak Twp Insolvent- Possible Annexation

Apparently, Royal Oak Twp is in the red and failed to pass a new millage to cover its budget deficit. The News is rumoring of possible annexation by either Ferndale or Oak Park, though neither seems interested. That said, why wouldn't the City of Royal Oak be the main contender? These days Oakland County seems to be mixed bag of solvent and insovlent communities, but one shining star seems to be the City of Royal Oak. It only seems logical that the City would annex its failing Township...? Am I missing something here?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...about-survival

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Apparently, Royal Oak Twp is in the red and failed to pass a new millage to cover its budget deficit. The News is rumoring of possible annexation by either Ferndale or Oak Park, though neither seems interested. That said, why wouldn't the City of Royal Oak be the main contender? These days Oakland County seems to be mixed bag of solvent and insovlent communities, but one shining star seems to be the City of Royal Oak. It only seems logical that the City would annex its failing Township...? Am I missing something here?

As recently as 2003 and 2004, sections of the township off 10 Mile were annexed by Oak Park. All that's left is a 0.56 square mile plot and 2,106 residents; 71 percent of them black.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101129/...#ixzz16gP5SPgB
    I think you have the answer right there.

A map? Royal Oak Township is bordered by Detroit, Ferndale, and Oak Park.

We've been through this before on this forum, but lest anybody think this is some kind of new problem, check out this TIME article from 1960.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...826587,00.html

Since neither Ferndale nor Oak Park seem interested, another possible senario is to split the Township with half going to each City.

Quote Originally Posted by Crew View Post
    Since neither Ferndale nor Oak Park seem interested, another possible senario is to split the Township with half going to each City.
    if neither is interested, why would it be forced upon them?

You can divide tracts of land into two categories, they are "revenue positive" and "revenue negative" based on whether the tax take from the area exceeds the cost of servicing the area.

Cities love to annex "revenue positive" things like shopping malls and induc=strial plants. They don't want to annex residential heavy areas unless they are very high-end residential. In Michigan, where school districts do not follow political boundaries, it isn't so bad, but in other states where the school district and the political boundaries are the same, residential annexation is strictly a "no-no" unless that area comes with a lot of tax producing "jewels" as a gift to the annexing authority..

Quote Originally Posted by Crew View Post

Why not split it three ways? Southfield borders it too. Hermrod has it right. Royal Oak Twp has few industrial or commercial land uses. Restidential areas demand more services per acre than commercial or industrial uses when it comes to police or fire.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-29-10 at 10:07 AM.

A portion of a township can only be annexed to an adjacent city. Royal Oak city doesn't share a border with the township. As you can see from this map, the township doesn't share a boundary with Southfield either.

http://www.oakgov.com/oss/assets/doc...VTs_letter.pdf

The portion that was annexed back a few years ago did have a Southfield boundary. But no one really wants what's left of RO Township because the cost to provide services will far outweigh any benefit of annexing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    We've been through this before on this forum, but lest anybody think this is some kind of new problem, check out this TIME article from 1960.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...826587,00.html
    Holy Cow! You're right; nothing changes. Aside for some arcane lingo, that article could have been printed last week. This region is like frozen in time... in1960! Same problems, same debates, new century.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    A portion of a township can only be annexed to an adjacent city. Royal Oak city doesn't share a border with the township. As you can see from this map, the township doesn't share a boundary with Southfield either.

http://www.oakgov.com/oss/assets/doc...VTs_letter.pdf

The portion that was annexed back a few years ago did have a Southfield boundary. But no one really wants what's left of RO Township because the cost to provide services will far outweigh any benefit of annexing it.

I'l be darned! I thought Oak Park only took the section to the North!

Royal Oak Township has nothing at all to do with the City of Royal Oak. Aside from the fact that the City of Royal Oak, Ferndale, Oak Park, Clawson, Berkley, Madison Heights, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, etc. all used to be Royal Oak Township. The little chunk that still exists is simply the last bit of the "original" township. As far as the reasons why neither Ferndale nor Oak Park want to annex it, take a drive through it some time and the answer will slap you in the face. The place is completely run down. Why would a city want to take on the obvious liability that is RO Twp? Makes no sense at all fiscally.
    Last edited by johnsmith; November-29-10 at 10:37 AM.

Growing up in Ferndale and knowing a handful of Ferndale fireman [[probably long retired by now ) they were against this and their sentiments because they had to help put out fires on some occaisons , '' let it burn ''

Holy Cow! You're right; nothing changes. Aside for some arcane lingo, that article could have been printed last week. This region is like frozen in time... in1960! Same problems, same debates, new century.
    Holy shit! You're dead on; All is same. Except for a few words, that article could have been printed this week. This area is set in its ways... in 1960! Same predicament. same arguments, new millenium; ouch!

woodwardboy Guest

City of Detroit should absorb Royal Oak Township.

Sad. Detroit's very own mini Soweto but since is kind of northwest, perhaps Noweto.

Why on earth would Detroit want to absorb it. Detroit has enough financial problems of its own. Let LBP solve it; it's his county and responsibility.

woodwardboy Guest

well... being 71% black... and "independent" black pride would seem a natural fit for the City of Detroit.

As a teenager who hung out on Mitchelldale back in the 80's, I'm a bit sad to hear that Royal Oak Township is down and out. That said, let's be real. No one wants this bitty piece of land as long as there is old Black folks still residing in the area. Ferndale and Oak Park can be patience. Within another twenty years or so the remaining residents will either die off or vacant the area and then they can feast of the land. No one is moving there so it is just a matter of time

To prove my point, my cousin's grandfather lived on Mitchelldale. When I looked on the map for his house, it was gone and I had to verify that I was on the right street since he died just last year. TPTB couldn't wait to knock down the house he lived in for decades to extend some pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwardboy View Post
    well... being 71% black... and "independent" black pride would seem a natural fit for the City of Detroit.
    You are aware that Royal Oak Township is in Oakland County right? How about they annex it with Pontiac since they too have plenty of Black folk.

Stosh Guest

County borders make no difference when it comes to city borders. For example, the city of Northville is in both Wayne and Oakland counties.
    I have said before, the city of Detroit could expand into Oakland county for possible growth/tax opportunites. Pontiac is a bit north, Southfield however is a better fit.
    I'd really like to see Detroit annex it. And then they finally will have a free for all with LBP and Detroit City Council. I'd pay to see that.

County borders make no difference when it comes to city borders. For example, the city of Northville is in both Wayne and Oakland counties.
    I have said before, the city of Detroit could expand into Oakland county for possible growth/tax opportunites. Pontiac is a bit north, Southfield however is a better fit.
    If Detroit were to annex any piece of land, it would be Highland Park. Royal Oak Township have nothing of value which is why the cities that bookend ROT don't want it. Well, as long it have Black folk on the land. Remove them and both Ferndale and Oak Park would be like two cocks fighting to the death for the land.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    If Detroit were to annex any piece of land, it would be Highland Park. Royal Oak Township have nothing of value which is why the cities that bookend ROT don't want it. Well, as long it have Black folk on the land. Remove them and both Ferndale and Oak Park would be like two cocks fighting to the death for the land.
    I don't suppose that you have taken a good look at Ferndale or Oak Park lately. I've driven through Royal Oak Township more than a few times, and seriously, it's not that bad by comparison,

Augustiner Guest

That's why Royal Oak Township is a perfect fit for Detroit. 71% black, independent, leery of white folk, high taxes, this is perfect for Detroit.
    What makes you say Royal Oak Township is "leery of white folk?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I don't suppose that you have taken a good look at Ferndale or Oak Park lately. I've driven through Royal Oak Township more than a few times, and seriously, it's not that bad by comparison,
    It is not bad because the population is older which I pointed out in a previous post. The majority of the residents there own their homes, however, they can't sell their homes because no one will move there and here is the thing. It is not a bad area. Oh, I am sure there is some riff-raff there but you don't hear much of murder in Royal Oak Township.

Augustiner Guest

I get the "Detroit stare" when driving through. People rarely wave or smile when I walk down the streets in the summer. I get the feeling that a "siege" mentality is around. I do alot of walking in the good weather. 10-15 miles at a time. I usually start around 7 mile/Lasher and head east along eight mile. Attitudes change dramatically across city borders.
    I don't usually wave or smile at random strangers. I guess I must hate white people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast