Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sheila Cockrel Not Running for Re-Election

Last edited by WWJNewsradio950; May-07-09 at 09:43 AM.

there goes one of the remaining 2 or 3 half sane council members... s***.

If we got 5 or 6 new council members after Nov that would be considered historic.

hmm, I guess that means that one of the few sane people can't put up with the insanity.

By my count that means at least 6 of the 9 will become private citizens.

Kwame Kenyatta ... annouced he will run for Mayor. No chance of that becoming reality.
    Ken Cockrell ... will more than likely run again for Mayor. Either he wins or loses, either way he's off CC.
    Shelia Cockrell ... will retire
    MonCon ... will run again ... doubtful
    Barbara Rose ... will run again ... doubtful
    Martha Reeves ... will run again ... doubtful
    JoAnn Watson ... will run again ... a lock
    Brenda Jones ... will run again? Health problems might influence that decision.
    Alberta T.T. ... will run again ... a lock

Change is coming. Personally, I wish Ken wouldn't run for Mayor. Bury his hurt after being beaten by Bing; form an alliance with the Bing to wright the ship of state and bide his time for another run in 4 years.

^Kenyatta decided not to run for mayor after Bing was elected. He's also encouraged Ken Cockrel to do the same.

From the Detroit News:
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...t-City-Council

Thursday, May 7, 2009
    Sheila Cockrel not running for re-election to Detroit City Council

Leonard Fleming / The Detroit News

Detroit Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel will announce at a noon press conference today that she will not run for re-election this year.
    Cockrel has been on council for nearly 16 years.
    In a press release sent to The Detroit News, Cockrel explained her decision and said she mulled another bid for office but decided it was time for others to help lead the city.
    "... I have decided that it is time for new blood on City Council and time for me to find different ways to continue making contributions to this city. Therefore, I will not seek re-election to the Detroit City Council," the press release said.
    Her civic activity dates to the 1960s, when she railed against police brutality in the city.
    "I'm proud to have been appointed to the Monitoring Committee overseeing the city's compliance with a federal consent decree for the Detroit Police Department," she said in the statement.
    She is the widow of the late Ken Cockrel, a former City Councilman who was the father of Ken Cockrel Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    ^Kenyatta decided not to run for mayor after Bing was elected. He's also encouraged Ken Cockrel to do the same.
    IHD, didn't hear that. Not that I doubt you, but where did you read/hear that tidbit?

The Feds might be on their way.

Detroit City Councilman Kwame Kenyatta today offered his “full support†to Mayor-elect Dave Bing and urged any potential mayoral candidates to forgo opposing Bing in the August primary and November general elections.

“I believe that incoming Mayor Bing will not be able to devote his full attention to running Detroit and solving its problems while trying to also win an election,†Kenyatta said in a prepared statement.

“Therefore, I am encouraging any potential mayoral candidate to instead throw their support behind the newly elected mayor of Detroit, Dave Bing, for the benefit of the City of Detroit over their own political ambitions.â€
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009050.../90506029/1003

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    IHD, didn't hear that. Not that I doubt you, but where did you read/hear that tidbit?
    i read the same thing in the free press about two days ago.

Gnome:
    The story about Kwame Kenyetta is @ http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=200990506029

I think Councilwoman Cockrel realized that Detroit city government is so broken that a shake-up is badly needed starting with her. I respect the fact that she acknowledge something that lack in Detroit. That new voices are needed to speak for Detroit. The voices currently in place are speaking the same monotone sounds that leads the city nowhere.

Barbara-Rose Collins should follow Ms. Cockrel out of the chamber as well. Not to knock her age because I have two grandmothers over the age of 70 who still have it going on, but her voice speaks for a time when the one issue was Black vs. White and that clouds her decisions regarding Detroit.

IMO, if I was a councilperson and I had to work with someone like Monica Conyers, I would not run for re-election either. LOL

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    hmm, I guess that means that one of the few sane people can't put up with the insanity.

By my count that means at least 6 of the 9 will become private citizens.

Kwame Kenyatta ... annouced he will run for Mayor. No chance of that becoming reality.
    Ken Cockrell ... will more than likely run again for Mayor. Either he wins or loses, either way he's off CC.
    Shelia Cockrell ... will retire
    MonCon ... will run again ... doubtful
    Barbara Rose ... will run again ... doubtful
    Martha Reeves ... will run again ... doubtful
    JoAnn Watson ... will run again ... a lock
    Brenda Jones ... will run again? Health problems might influence that decision.
    Alberta T.T. ... will run again ... a lock

Change is coming. Personally, I wish Ken wouldn't run for Mayor. Bury his hurt after being beaten by Bing; form an alliance with the Bing to wright the ship of state and bide his time for another run in 4 years.
    I'm with you on this one, Gnome. I wish Ken Cockrel wouldn't run for Mayor. Wait four years and THEN run.

I'm really saddened to hear about Sheila Cockrel's decision not to run. However, at her age and after this last session, she's earned retirement.

IHD, RSA, Frank ... thanx for the head slaps ... I'll try to be more aware of what is going on around town.

I met Sheila Cockrel in 2003 while doing research for a paper on landbanking that I co-authored with a couple of other university students. Besides Maryann Mahaffey, she was the only councilperson at the time that agreed to talk with us [[we also met w/Mel Ravitz but he was off the council by then) . The one main thing that I took away from that talk was that she was extremely passionate about the city and cared deeply for the citizens' collective well-being. I don't know how the indictments are going to play out, but hopefully when all the dust settles, I'll still have those same sentiments that I had about her back in 2003.

I'm interested to see how long it will be before she has a moving van ready to leave Detroit and start a happy retirement.

heedus, you mentioned the names of three past and present council members that were very dedicated and caring about Detroit, in various capacities over and above politics, for at least the last half of a century. They all reached their limits and decided to go on down the road. I had great admiration for all of them, despite any differences we may have had on certain issues.

Default Shelia Cockrel to vacate Council: "Its time for fresh blood."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090507/NEWS01/90507030

Shelia Cockrel is calling it quits after 16 years on the Detroit City Council.

I 100% support her decision! I think it will definitely allow for the new blood to began charting a new course for the city. Without the old ideas/attitudes getting in the way. Hopefully this will inspire a few of her colleagues to follow her example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmil View Post
    Hopefully this will inspire a few of her colleagues to follow her example.
    Yea right. I think Sheila truly believes she is doing the right thing. The rest of the council is just there to collect a paycheck, perks, and bribes.

Someone mentioned somewhere that we got four new people with the current council, and one who had just finished out the remainder of Brenda Scott's term before being elected this time. So we really had five new members and that didn't help.

We have to be careful to elect a smart, well-balanced council this time, not just new blood.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Yea right. I think Sheila truly believes she is doing the right thing. The rest of the council is just there to collect a paycheck, perks, and bribes.

Everyone else on council besides Sheila is a deadbeat and/or criminal? Wow.

I don't recall Sheila ever fighting for anything while on Council or opposing anything an incumbent Mayor wanted to do. She truly was "status quo", IMO. The papers say whe was a "budget watchdog", yet many seriously deficient budgets were passed while she was on council. How many of them did she vote "No" on?

She probably was a good community and social activist before she landed on Council, but what did she fight for once she got there?

I might have overlooked her body of work, so please give me some specifics that will change my mind and make me stop wondering how you came to the conclusion that she was the only one on council worth anything.

I thought Ms Cockrel showed the most professionalism and maturity on a Council that is in need of both.

Question: If a grand jury can indict a ham sandwich, how many City Council members can be tagged?
    I predict several, and Ms Cockrel will not be one of them....

"Bing also said that Councilwoman Sheila Cockrel, who announced today she will not run for re-election, has been an asset to Detroit during her long career on council and that she could be a positive addition to his administration, but added that no overtures have been made."

Denise Ilitch is heading up Bings transition team. S. Cockrel is very good friends with Denise Ilitch. Makes one go Hmmmmmmm????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast