Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Luben Apartment building fire

Photos of the aftermath, and a video clip of this mornings fire that gutted the Luben Apartments in Brush Park:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4934

Here is the building about 18 months ago:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=1878

DFD said that the fire is too deep in the back, so demolition was called in immediately.

Another piece of Detroit history gone. Vet sad

Oh God, I just drove by it yesterday and thought about how I explored the building last winter. So sad!

Crackheads!! Terrible, just terrible!

Stromberg2

Disaster and such....

But WHAT an AWESOME fisheye pictures!

Hey, I guess there is a question as to whether it was named 'Luden' or 'Luben'...Does anybody know for sure ? AIW, do you have a Sanborn map with this building on it ?

Tragic as that fire was.... the facade is still intact. Wouldn't it be nice for someone to build a new apartment building [[size and shape not important), that would reuse the facade of this building? Sort of like what may one day be planned for the Fine Arts Building in Grand Circus Park....

The only really attractive part of that old building was the facade...

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Hey, I guess there is a question as to whether it was named 'Luden' or 'Luben'...Does anybody know for sure ? AIW, do you have a Sanborn map with this building on it ?
    Luben on the 1921 Sanborn; 234 Watson St

Too bad

http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...tle-comes-down

Who destroys more historic structures in the city of Detroit?
    A: DEGC
    B: City of Detroit
    C: Homeless
    Last edited by rjlj; November-28-10 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Too bad

http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...tle-comes-down

Who destroys more historic structures in the city of Detroit?
    A: DEGC
    B: City of Detroit
    C: Homeless

D: Absentee Owners.

Every year, Brush Park loses more and more structures. Soon, will there be much Brush Park left to be worth saving that has not already been saved? What is next to go?

Here's the text from the Free Press:

Detroit 'Castle' comes down after Sunday fire

BY STEVE NEAVLING
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A demolition crew leveled the abandoned, castle-like Luben Apartments in Detroit’s Brush Park on Sunday evening over the protests of neighbors and preservationists after an early morning blaze gutted the historic brick behemoth.

“You know better than this,” neighbor Gwen Mingo yelled at a fire official who declined to identify himself. “They ripped the beautiful face off the castle. That’s a damn shame. There’s asbestos all up in that building.”

Fire officials at the scene said the demolition is required to protect firefighters who will be investigating the blaze.

Neighbors said the fire broke out about 4:30 a.m. Firefighters were still on the scene at 3:30 p.m. By 5 p.m., a demolition crane began crumbling the façade.

“This was a historic, beautiful building,” neighbor Jennifer Quigley said

The structure, about a century old, is often referred to as the “Castle Building” and has been vacant for years, but recently became shelter for at least two homeless people, neighbors said.

Brush Park is a 24-block neighborhood in midtown near Mack and Woodward recognized by the National Register of Historic Places.

Contact Steve Neavling: 313-223-3327 or sneavling@freepress.com.

Read more: Detroit 'Castle' comes down after Sunday fire | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010112...#ixzz16dqslQPc

Last edited by Rocko; November-28-10 at 11:30 PM.

Pictures to go along with the articles already posted: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/g...1280805&Ref=PH

It's really a shame they couldn't have at least saved the facade.

A demolition crew leveled the abandoned, castle-like Luben Apartments in Detroit’s Brush Park on Sunday evening over the protests of neighbors and preservationists after an early morning blaze gutted the historic brick behemoth.
    These people have no say. They only get my disapproval. If I was a neighbor, I'd do everything in my legal power and with what money I could save to keep the boards over the front door nailed shut and the people out. It's case of the preservationists in Detroit always responding too late. In this case, arriving after the fire burns out. Where were they before it started? Where was the volunteer efforts to cleanup the outside of the property and secure the place?

I realize there are thousands of buildings to deal with, but pick your battles. This one was certainly worth the effort.

People do this in cities. They protect buildings they like, and they keep people out, and they do not burn down.
    Last edited by wolverine; November-28-10 at 11:48 PM.

That building was in at least a few movies set in Detroit. What a shame. But it was probably not recoverable even before the fire.

It's unfortunate that no group has worked on a Brush Park neighborhood-wide level to attempt to stabilize some of the structures here which haven't been rehabbed. Those which were renovate/restored during the early part of the decade are really small shining lights in this district. The city worked to install new utilities, streets, sidewalks and streetlights. Unfortunately, several other structures haven't been stabilized, let alone rehabbed for use. I can see this neighborhood really taking off with the development of the Woodward Light Rail in the coming years, but it seems like every year, another set of old homes collapse, catch fire, or just crumble away. So much of the historic housing stock has been lost here. It seems this should be a focus area to try to stabilize what is left as best as possible until more interest/money comes along.

Sad to see the Luden Building go...that facade was way cool. Any it's funny how this one came down the same day in burned, yet buildings which had just as serious of fires which were put on the city's "emergency" demo list over a year ago remain standing.

Hang on a minute there, Brush Park had a massive effort lodged to clear the ruins, and save anything possible - you might remember Kwames signs up in front of various structures including Ransom Gillis. tens of thousands were poured into opening the capped off streets and repaving them. Ransom Gillis, Moore and many others were rebuilt or mothballed.

What you see now is simply yet another failed "renaissance" moment in Detroit - "arrested development".

Beautifull building, but after looking at the video there is nothing left saving.

As much as im into saving old buildings, after a fire like that there is no choice but to tear the rest of it down.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Crackheads!! Terrible, just terrible!

Stromberg2
    That's right, You also have sqautters and scammers from previous owners.

So long Historic Brush Park.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Because nothing's sacred in America anymore.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    These people have no say. They only get my disapproval. If I was a neighbor, I'd do everything in my legal power and with what money I could save to keep the boards over the front door nailed shut and the people out. It's case of the preservationists in Detroit always responding too late. In this case, arriving after the fire burns out. Where were they before it started? Where was the volunteer efforts to cleanup the outside of the property and secure the place?

I realize there are thousands of buildings to deal with, but pick your battles. This one was certainly worth the effort.

People do this in cities. They protect buildings they like, and they keep people out, and they do not burn down.
    Wolverine, do you live in Brush Park? If you did, you would know that the residents do take care of the vacant lots and structures in the neighborhood. Picking up trash, landscaping and trying to keep vacant structures sealed. This building had been sealed up until a few months ago. This is a terrible loss for the neighborhood and I find it in poor taste to criticize the residents of Brush Park for being upset about it.

I'm sure the walls of your living room are lined with "World's Best Neighbor" awards from all of your philanthropy over the years. Maybe you could help our neighborhood by holding a seminar, teaching us indigent city folk about how to best care for our aging buildings? Please let me know a date that would work for you and we will gladly set something up.

Default Something Smells Fishy

WTF! Something smells very, very fishy here.

A few questions to ponder.

1. How the hell do you get a demo crew on site within 12 hours of the fire starting?
    2. While I'm thinking of it, how do you get all of the water and gas lines capped so demolition can safely begin that quickly?
    3. If a fire is being investigated, why in the hell would you demolish the building?

Seriously people. It usually takes several days or even a couple of weeks to get a demolition crew and all of that equipment on a job site. 3 - 4 days is generally considered to be "lightning fast".

Getting it there in just over 12 hours from the time the fire started? And doing it on a holiday weekend?

Either Jesus Christ has started His own demolition company or things were afoot to demolish that building long before the fire started.

As for the rationale given, I've seen several arson investigations - including ones where the structure was damaged to the point of immanent collapse. Investigators usually want to preserve as much of the crime scene, and all of the evidence in it, as they possibly can. Instead, we're seeing the place demolished and all of the evidence go to a landfill.

Something smells very, very fishy here.

Fnemecek, that's sort of what I was getting at here:

Any it's funny how this one came down the same day in burned, yet buildings which had just as serious of fires which were put on the city's "emergency" demo list over a year ago remain standing.
    I'm glad you said it more succinctly and with a better knowledge of arson investigations. Too bad the Freep or Detroit News probably wouldn't follow this story up...

Rocko:

Great minds think alike.

As for a follow up, who knows? Maybe someone will start asking questions.

Anybody else notice in the video that no water was being put on this fire

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Hang on a minute there, Brush Park had a massive effort lodged to clear the ruins, and save anything possible - you might remember Kwames signs up in front of various structures including Ransom Gillis. tens of thousands were poured into opening the capped off streets and repaving them. Ransom Gillis, Moore and many others were rebuilt or mothballed.

What you see now is simply yet another failed "renaissance" moment in Detroit - "arrested development".
    It was for good press, and good press only.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast