Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Audit the RIch

Default Audit the RIch

http://trac.syr.edu/tracirs/latest/147/
    "...According to new data from the Internal Revenue Service only 30 of the nation's thousands of millionaires were subject to a face-to-face IRS audit in 2005. The very small number selected for the traditional and sometimes intensive audits were drawn from 184,054 individual tax returns reporting a total positive income of $1 million or more..."

But if you're poor, look out. Terror of the IRS keeps H & R Block in business.

http://www.taxgirl.com/irs-insists-m...-support-kids/
    "...
    According to the Seattle Times, Rachel Porcaro did all of these things. A single mom, she took a job at Supercuts in Seattle, Washington to support her two boys [[ages 8 and 10). To save on housing, she lived with her parents, paying them a nominal rent. She went without a car.
    You’d think she was doing all of the right things.
    Except you’re not the IRS.
    Porcaro was selected for audit last year. When she asked why she was chosen, the IRS explained that she was too poor..."

gdogslim Guest

I agree. 100%
    I am so tired of people like Charlie Rangle, Tubro Tax Tim Geithnere, Harry Reid and
    the rest of the tax cheats on Capitol Hill ripping off the US taxpayers.
    "Obama has to contend with the Washington Post revelations that finger 41 executive office employees for owing a combined $831,000 IRS debt." Ironically, the missing income tax monies from workers at the Office of Government Ethics alone total $75,000. At a grand total, the lump sum of unpaid tax revenues due and owed by all Capitol Hill workers comes out to be $9.3 million.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...eats_bilk.html

Have a flat tax so everyone pays something and no one can escape it.

I'm guessing that Rey Decerega, the guy who elbowed Obama in the mouth and gave him twelve stitches will be looked at a little closer by the IRS http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Presid...pr_wh/us_obama

Blarf Guest

I would ;like them to audit the federal government as well. That will never happen though..

gdog, do you ever get tired of saying stupid things that are off topic but are right wing talking points that turn the subject to Obama, who is not the subject? Or is being paid by the post enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    gdog, do you ever get tired of saying stupid things that are off topic but are right wing talking points that turn the subject to Obama, who is not the subject? Or is being paid by the post enough for you?
    Are people actually being paid by the post ?? By whom ?
    I guess I missed that train.

gdogslim Guest

No I never get tired. I wish someone was paying me. Who is footing your bill?
    I hope anyone who is cheating the system gets caught, wether blue or red.
    They can audit me for all I care, I have nothing to hide.
    Everything I said was researched by the media, which has a lot to lose if they are wrong.
    The government would be put out of business if it was run by the IRS because of their corrupt accounting standards. They use the IRS to attack enemies, now that IS corrupt.
    Last edited by gdogslim; November-28-10 at 10:00 PM. Reason: run not one

WALL STREET BANKERS and retired hedge fund billionaires have been talking about fiscal responsibility and deficit reduction, preparing the masses for austerity measures and cuts in social services—which we are told are regrettable, of course, but necessary nonetheless. Well, here is the perfect welfare program for the bailout queens to show off their fiscally conservative chops: Let’s see them cut federal farm subsidies, which funnel billions of dollars to the richest Americans.
    http://www.nypress.com/article-21342-the-making-of-manhattans-elite-welfare-farmers.html

It wasn’t meant to be this way. Farm subsidies first began as part of New Deal and were designed to help small, family farms struggling through the Great Depression. These days, this well-intentioned program exists only in name. Successive deregulation and various other freemarket "reforms" have turned farm subsidies into just another welfare-for-the-rich program, bypassing the very farmers it was designed to help and depositing billions in taxpayer money straight into the bank accounts of corporations and wealthy Americans.
    Yeah, I'd like to see more audits on that. But thanks to Congress, it's all legal. The same Congress now holding up the unemployment extensions. If they want to see some PORK cut out of the budget to help the unemployed, than start with this program.
    Last edited by Bigb23; December-01-10 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Everything I said was researched by the media, which has a lot to lose if they are wrong.
    Ummm really?? What did Fox News lose when they reported a falsely inflated figure of $2 billion for Obama's trip to Asia??? Nothing...

What did that "non-Psychologist" lose when he called Obama a Narcissist? Nothing....

What did you lose when you post these half truths on this forum??

.... a portion of your reference posting credibility....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-30-10 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    I agree. 100%
    I am so tired of people like Charlie Rangle, Tubro Tax Tim Geithnere, Harry Reid and
    the rest of the tax cheats on Capitol Hill ripping off the US taxpayers.
    "Obama has to contend with the Washington Post revelations that finger 41 executive office employees for owing a combined $831,000 IRS debt." Ironically, the missing income tax monies from workers at the Office of Government Ethics alone total $75,000. At a grand total, the lump sum of unpaid tax revenues due and owed by all Capitol Hill workers comes out to be $9.3 million.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...eats_bilk.html

Have a flat tax so everyone pays something and no one can escape it.

I'm guessing that Rey Decerega, the guy who elbowed Obama in the mouth and gave him twelve stitches will be looked at a little closer by the IRS http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Presid...pr_wh/us_obama
    How about McConnell, McCain, Limbaugh, Norquist, etc, etc? Would they fit your plans, too?

Sen. Elect Rand Paul announced that the first bill he will introduce in the Senate will be a full audit of the Federal Reserve. Senator Sanders introduced the previous bill attempting to fully audit the fed. Senator Sanders' efforts went for naught as special interests stopped the bill in it's tracks and watered it down to the point of being unreckognizable. The reintroduction of this bill is probably as direct of an audit of the rich as we are going to get. My guess is that it isn't so much that Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and others are cheating so much as the system is rigged in their favor. Buffet has said as much and noted that he pays a smaller percentage of his income toward federal taxes than does his secretary.

The statistics in the first post on this thread are obviously false and the IRS [[in the link) has so stated. First, I seriously doubt there are almost 200,000 individual taxpayers with over a million dollars of taxable income each year. There are clearly that many millionaires or more but most don't have INCOMES over a million dollars annually.

Down here in my affluent area of TX there are scads of "millionaires" and many with incomes of over a million a year - and many with monthly incomes that high. This is oil/ranching/farming country where families have existed and prospered for over 100 years. I know a dozen or more people with million dollar annual incomes and 2 or 3 of them have been audited the last 3 years. At least 2 of those came clean on the audits and didn't have to pay more axes, and one in fact, got a refund. The other was subjected to additional taxes and penalties but his case is on appeal.

The Su Ct has stated numerous times that tax avoidance is absolutely fine but tax evasion is a felony. There is not one person on this forum [[who has an income) that does not practice tax avoidance - who pays more than they have to?

Rich people usually have the best CPAs and tax lawyers possible. True, they employ these folks to avoid all the axes they may legally avoid, but I an tell you that the main reason s to make sure that they DO PAY all appropriate taxes due and owing. Tax audits are very expensive and time consuming and are to be avoided at all costs. I know. And, to meaningfully EVADE taxes requires the complicity of too may people and the risk is very high. The IRS has all the weapons. Every dime of my oil income is reported to the IRS via 1099s, as is everyone's non W-2 income. Stock brokers and others who distribute money report all those distributions to IRS via 1099's. So do banks which pay you interest on your checking accounts. If one reports all his income then he's not going to be audited.

Audits result from red flags; failure to report income, for example, which has been reported to the IRS by others. Even then, the taxpayer is notified and given the opportunity to pay the axes plus penalties and interest. I know. [[These kind of reporting errors are common.) If there are too money red flags, audits result. They are not random when it comes to high income individuals. Audits are costly to the IRS as well. [[I was audited several years ago and the dispute related to the use of "independent contractors" who the IRS said should be considered employees. We were slam dunk correct but settled because the agent said she could not walk away for less the the cost of the audit. We settled for less than it would cost to fight and win the case in the Tax Court. Great system, right? Extorted by our own govt.)

As a tax payer I am in favor of the strictest possible enforcement of our tax laws, as confiscatory as they are. In fact, I would step up enforcement by hiring outside law firms in addition to IRS lawyers and would only pay the lawyers contingent fees based on the amounts collected. People who pay their taxes should not be upset by aggressive, but fair, tax collection practices.