Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 100 clairmount on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETROIT-MICHIGAN...item4154b38178

Get bidding...... there are some interior pics. Cool lobby

The interior looks relatively intact for a vacant building! Also appears that the previous owner invested quite a bit into the roof and the plumbing.

You could eat off that roof. I like the barrel hallways.

All I can think when I see that place is "lead paint removal", and $$$$$

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    All I can think when I see that place is "lead paint removal", and $$$$$
    A friend with an eBay account is asking about lead paint, and the answer should be posted in 1-2 days, according to the automated response. It also appears that only the top two floors have new windows, which is great, but the first, second, and basement floors are all old.

Clearly work needs to be done, but it's not really that bad for a serious investor. This would be Boston Edison, or maybe a block or so off. This is an area I'm in regularly, and I can say that the surrounding neighborhood is pretty quaint. Looking at Google Streetview, you will see that, although there are several vacant lots, this is the only vacant building on that block/street. The streets surrounding it are beautiful and taken care of, and new urban style commercial buildings have gone up on the corner of Clairmont Street and Woodward Avenue. The building is walk distance to a main transit line [[53 Woodward bus line, and eventually the M-1 rail line), a grocery store, a gas station, churches, schools, and even an ice cream parlor.

Shoot, it has more amenities than I have here in Downtown.

Looking at the Detroit Police Department crime map, the area appears to have some real problems with both violent and petty crime. The area is nice enough that I wouldn't expect random acts of excessive violence though. Car thefts and burglaries seem to be a worry. I would guess that this is considered a middle class neighborhood, which would possibly make it a target for thefts and burglaries. So concerning criminals terrorizing the populace, I give it a keel yellow. By comparison I would give Downtown a yellow or blue, and most suburbs get a blue.

PS: I know a color coded system isn't the ideal, but it's what I've been advised to do.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; November-28-10 at 05:38 AM.

Even on a shoestring budget...and I do mean shoestring, and doing a lot of your own labor, 3/4 of a million at the very least to rehab, likely more. What a deal.

What a deal, but it looks like your going to need to spend atleast $300,000 to fix the place up to make it liveable again.

There is extensive plaster work that needs to be done, and it looks like there is no plumbing fixtures or kitchens in each unit.

Very nice, detroitbob and I may have to purchase it!!

Location, lo-ca-tion, LOCATION! That's why it is on eBay!

The original owner gave it a try and moved on in 2007 or so. We can be hopeful, but I must respectfully disagree that this is a 'quaint' neighborhood. Crime is very thick around there.

Sure, during the 'empowerment zone' cash flow days a few years back there was talk and some investment in that area including moneys from the Kellogg foundation ala Northern HS etc., and other educational interests going south thru to the WSU area. One of the larger churches on Woodward was also engaged in investing that area too back in the late 90's.

All that is over, or in sharp decline and the Clairmount/ Woodward area remains very rough [[try feeling comfortable at that gas station on the corner), and has been that way for some time.

This area, a stones throw from Atkinson street where that freep news article hit re. the woman tried to live in a single home, invest in the area and eventually had to flee Detroit all together form excessive crime, break-ins and lack of policing etc. I live less than a half mile from that area and watched that buildings demise.

The last owner[[s) tried: rehabbed it, put in new windows, and roof about 8 years ago and put it up for seniors but only got druggies and what all. One down side is no parking lot [[except for the mud lot adjacent to it - which was not addressed) and as Clairmount ave. is a busy thoroughfare, street parking was not idea or safe. More mud and vacant brown-fields line and dot that area.

The apartment was only partially occupied, then went empty and has stayed that way. I have been surprised it has not been torched or fully stripped [[the photos show some stripping such as the iron radiators). Some sections and pockets nearby are nicer. This is especially true the closer you get to West Grand blvd, and parts of Boston/ Edison, but that particular area up thru to the Woodward corner with the exception of a few businesses is 'notoriously' dangerous.

Made worse only by the east side of Woodward where Clairmount turns into Owen and things take a worse drop off on up thru Oakman blvd. Note the Considine Recreation Center [[at that corner) was were that heinous broad daylight murder occurred ala the mom chauffeuring her son there to shoot another teen dead in the lobby [[ca 2008).

On the south west corner of Woodward and Clairmount there was a valiant 'attempt' by some investor[[s) to build from the ground up a new drug store, multi-service complex [[the urban style commercial building you mention). A complete failure! Obvious mistakes: big picture windows [[not feasible in a urban environment), most now cracked, ineffective security, and no parking except for a mud lot behind it, etc. The complex never opened.

It even has/ had a tax service store attached, which are usually pretty hearty even in bad areas [[the sign is up). It never open either. Abandoned. Though they still run lights on timers.

King Cole [[which has been there since the riots - I recall my parents going there as a kid), a big grocery store was rebuilt after a major fire about 6 years ago, and is thriving and not too bad, but not particularly safe after dark. Street lighting is a problem all thru that whole area. Just goes to show a few grocers are fairly resilient to build [[and re-build) in the city.

Example: that grim liquor store off Clairmount and the Lodge, nearby closed mysteriously a few years back. No sign or re-opening. The Considine Recreation center thankfully continues despite the tragic murder and the the former DPS Northern HS was converted to Detroit International Academy for Young Women is doing very well.

But, until the crime percentage along Clairmount is addressed that building will not be occupied successfully. Tragic indeed as this is a beautiful building with amenities you don't see in modern architecture...
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    ....I can say that the surrounding neighborhood is pretty quaint. Looking at Google Streetview, you will see that, although there are several vacant lots, this is the only vacant building on that block/street. The streets surrounding it are beautiful and taken care of, and new urban style commercial buildings have gone up on the corner of Clairmont Street and Woodward Avenue. The building is walk distance to a main transit line [[53 Woodward bus line, and eventually the M-1 rail line), a grocery store, a gas station, churches, schools, and even an ice cream parlor.

Shoot, it has more amenities than I have here in Downtown.

Looking at the Detroit Police Department crime map, the area appears to have some real problems with both violent and petty crime. The area is nice enough that I wouldn't expect random acts of excessive violence though. Car thefts and burglaries seem to be a worry. I would guess that this is considered a middle class neighborhood...
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Details and clarity...

ROI would be very doubtful. You're not going to get the sock-it-to-them high rents you can charge the WSU student, Midtown or Medical Center crowd of occupants to make such an investment worthwhile. No one else is going to pay big rents prices there. Nor, can it benefit from being part of the already struggling New Center Area either where crime is somewhat up too. It would be good to see the revitalzation of Midtown move further north of Pallister street.

As it stands now buildings north of the eh-er 'Berlin Wall' [[as Euclid street is affectionately called) tend to be rough and a cut-off point for even the young and brave college 'pioneering' types... [[and most investors) and that strip therein is VERY rough crime-wise. Then there is Boston/ Edison with their share of issues, but there are still some striving to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    What a deal, but it looks like your going to need to spend atleast $300,000 to fix the place up to make it liveable again.

There is extensive plaster work that needs to be done, and it looks like there is no plumbing fixtures or kitchens in each unit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 05:54 PM.

Any idea of the tax bill on this building?

I think the eBay posting say it is in the clear... no tax lien! If only the buildling could be moved elsewhere... oh to dream. The plaster work and other features common to buildings of that era is incredible!
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Any idea of the tax bill on this building?

It says the yearly taxes are only $5,500 ...

That's right. I was talking about taxes owed [[delinquent). Thanks for that detail........
    Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    It says the yearly taxes are only $5,500 ...
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 10:35 AM.

And guess how high the tax bill will be once it is habitable. It WILL be reassessed at sale time and on a yearly basis.
    On grossing 22K a month, minus taxes [[unknown amount), outside maintenance, hiring a residential manager, acquiring secure parking for tenants and cleaning contracts for common areas, not to mention utilities for the common areas, natural gas and water for the boilers. And unless the units are individually metered, water [[and sewer) and electricity, that 22K per month will be decimated pretty quickly. Just a layman's guess, but maybe 5k on probably a 500k investment? And that's betting on 100% occupancy, no breakdowns in mechanicals, etc.
    1% return ?
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but that IMO is a pipe dream.
    Last edited by shovelhead; November-28-10 at 10:53 AM.

The units are individually metered -- the owner has all that detail on that page.

JUst a few thoughts. Depending on the auction price, with a few modifications to the building I think It could be fantastic. Do some wall removals and make each unit bigger, say 2 units make one. Not only would the units be more desirable and spacious but you would cut into the cost by reducing the cost as youd only have to redo half the kitchens and having a new 2br units would add value and open it to being a possibility of home to a better renter. doing apts w 2 master suites would be fantastic. Im taking the top floor as my penthouse......... how bout a nice coffee shop in it too....while Im dreaming

If nothing else its a conversation starter and we can see what happens, if anything. If a building like this w a good roof and decent bones cant be saved, we might as well just bulldoze the city.

Oh man, getting that elevator operational and to code........

Building is not the worst I've seen, but the photos only seemed to offer a taste of this place and there was water damage...either from before the roof was replaced or bad plumbing. Certainly hope mold didn't come along too.

it will be purchased, insured, left vacant for a few years, then mysteriously burned to the ground, of course insured for actual replacement cost....

After you get the repairs done and the place is tennatable, better find a 24 /7 live in manager who's part Green Beret, part Mexican Federale, part CIA spook. If the dope dealers get in there all the work will be an effort in futility.

Another poster made mention of replacement cost insurance on that building. Nobody would be able to afford the premiums. Even market value, actual cash value coverage would be very expensive. Most of the policys available would have co-insurance [[ insure to value clauses )

There's a reason why Detroit has lost half its apartment buildings. It's a tough business, absoutely not for the squeemish.

Green Baret indeed. Not for the squeamish or weak.

Some people I know tried to make a go of one of the apartments on Seward near Woodward [[the worst end of Seward)... They finally gave up as crime and lack of police response was too much. They could'nt get rid of the druggies, non-rent paying types and those who's personal mission was to destroy every attempt of rehab and maintenance. Much of their time was spent in court dealing with eviction cases, and bailiff drama.

Everyone involved [[on site manager, the owners etc.) had to be holstered down CCW-style just to interact with the place and the nearby transients, drug dealers and other flotsam milling about on that section of Seward. He and his partners finally gave up at a loss, selling the building which is now really bad - yet occupied - the last time I drove by.

On a positive note [[finally), the apartment buildings on other part of Seward beyond 3rd street going over the Lodge overpass up thru Poe [[behind Henry Ford Hospital) are doing well. There are about five or so apartment buildings thriving and occupied. No drifters, thugs and dopers are allowed to hang out in front of those apartments, and the tenancy is stable with some living in these buildings many years.

Some of the tenants include peeps from Henry Ford HS, WSU, seniors, working folks, student etc. Those buildings 'draw' more stable folks as there are already good tenants there. What working person or student wants to living in a predatory, transient, mayhem filled, nasty building with riff-raff hanging around stepping over broken bottles and what not?
    Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    After you get the repairs done and the place is tennatable, better find a 24 /7 live in manager who's part Green Beret, part Mexican Federale, part CIA spook. If the dope dealers get in there all the work will be an effort in futility.

Another poster made mention of replacement cost insurance on that building. Nobody would be able to afford the premiums. Even market value, actual cash value coverage would be very expensive. Most of the policys available would have co-insurance [[ insure to value clauses )

There's a reason why Detroit has lost half its apartment buildings. It's a tough business, absoutely not for the squeemish.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 06:03 PM.

I would be worried about taking title through a quit claim deed, which does not guarantee that you actually have any title interest in the property.

Coffee shop in that area...? Where you could actually 'sit down' and relax with your laptop and sip coffee or tea?! LOL! Pinch me!! I must be dreaming, or trippin'... If only it could be.

You almost have to be south of West Grand blvd. closer to WSU, Midtown or the cultural center to consider that as things stand now. Only the heartiest-bulletproof establishments can make a go of it in that area.

A nearby coney island on Woodward recently gave up the 'ghost' and closed overnight and most city-hardened and fortified coney islands can thrive anywhere!!! When they leave watch out!! Happys Pizza is doing well but it's close to West Grand blvd. and Lothrop.

Hats off to the Turkey Grill for hanging on! Great food.
    Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    JUst a few thoughts. Depending on the auction price, with a few modifications to the building I think It could be fantastic. Do some wall removals and make each unit bigger, say 2 units make one. Not only would the units be more desirable and spacious but you would cut into the cost by reducing the cost as youd only have to redo half the kitchens and having a new 2br units would add value and open it to being a possibility of home to a better renter. doing apts w 2 master suites would be fantastic. Im taking the top floor as my penthouse......... how bout a nice coffee shop in it too....while Im dreaming

If nothing else its a conversation starter and we can see what happens, if anything. If a building like this w a good roof and decent bones cant be saved, we might as well just bulldoze the city.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-10 at 05:44 PM.

all of your concerns are heard, and will be resolved by the magic rail.......

Yes, spewing forth glittering pixey dust to solve all........
    Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    all of your concerns are heard, and will be resolved by the magic rail.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast