Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default GM may start racing again.

GM may re-enter racing to rev brands

[[Quite ironic to see Detnews posted a Ford beside the article.... )

[[Edit: Title fell away from the top earlier.)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; November-27-10 at 12:06 PM.

Note that this is in Europe, so I assume GM's going to be racing Opels....I have trouble grasping the idea of racing Vauxalls......for the purpose of boosting European sales and brand awareness.

What was more interesting to me was GM's announcement that they will provides turbocharged V-6's for the Indy Car series, a series they left in 2005. Honda has provided the spec engine since then, and will develop a turbo V-6 to compete with GM's entry.

Since they are making all this money again, they can re-instate my dental and vision insurance.

Hope Chrysler decides to quit NASCAR and do something like this.

With what? Any capable rallye cars would come out of Fiat, wouldn't it? Chrysler is pretty much a domestic producer, where Ford and GM both have extensive European operations where this type of motorsport is more accepted. As a venue to advertise your product here, NASCAR is about as close as you'll get in U.S. motorsports.

interesting wording in the article. i suspect it might signal a gm withdrawal [[or major step back from) nascar, seeing how it has moved to, like F1, a purpose built car not available for sale.

i've heard that one of ford or gm was close to walking away from nascar a couple years back. wonder if this might be a sign that it may happen?

Zimm.....
    .....haven't heard a thing about GM moving into F-1. The only engine move I've heard of is that Renault may stop being a constructor and concentrate on engines in a couple of years. Could you be thinking of their new engine in CART for 2012?

I don't think the article signals anything on the U.S. front, because outside of NASCAR, there is no popular national motorsport series that generates the viewers. The Big 3 were grumbling a couple of years ago about the COT, which is a spec car and has little likeness to the cars they're trying to sell. As indicated by the new Nationwide car, an attempt is being made to allow the cars to at least look like something you could buy from a dealer.